Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kuprin82

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by kuprin82 »

kuprin82 wrote:The statue is dedicated to Hardesty "The FBI Story"
"The FBI Story" is a 1959 American drama film starring James Stewart!
We see Hardesty as he recounts his history as an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation during a lecture. The lecture becomes the narration of FLASHBACKS(!) as he tells of his life as an agent combating various crimes and criminals..
P.S.:
The Autobiography - of - F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper My Life, My Tapes
As heard by Scott Frost
"...Above my bed on the wall is my most important personal item, a poster of.......(!) Jimmy Stewart......(!)... in the movie The FBI Story which only I can touch. I am talking into a Norelco B2000 reel-to-reel tape-playing recorder that I received as a Christmas present. I gave Dad a bottle of Old Spice and a pair of Totes, and Mom a nonstick spatula set..."
Attachments
Autobiodc.jpg
Autobiodc.jpg (85.98 KiB) Viewed 8319 times
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Wild (and wrong) theory that I woke up to: Cooper is in a coma and the Rancho Rosa stuff is a dream he is having on his way to regaining consciousness. Truman is watching over him.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have high hopes for Episode 7 - though I know I shouldn't get my expectations up. But given that 7 is Lynch's favourite number (and how significant that number has been in the show so far) and some of the storyline beats we've been given to date, I hope we see a lot of narrative progress with this episode. I'd love to see Audrey and the key. And I'd also love to see a major progression of Dougie - not necessarily that he will snap out of it fully, but that he will begin to remember things more and/or be drawn towards Twin Peaks. I'm very curious to see if there will be more with Hawk and the diary pages too, and hopefully some more Log Lady, along with Big Ed and some other old favourites. But I think the 7 will be significant to Dougie/Coop in the next episode. That's my hope anyway - that Episode 7 will be a major step forward in terms of the overall plot.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I posted this in the Richard Horne parentage thread, but also thought it should go here:

Why isn't Richard a rich kid like Audrey? Instead he's dressed in an ordinary style and is at the low end of the drug trade.

This suggests he isn't benefiting from the Horne wealth and name. Why not?

If he was Audrey's kid, you'd expect him to be part of the family. Since he's not, either something happened with Audrey and the fam or Richard isn't brought into the family proper because he's Ben or Jerry's "mistake." That would explain his anger and his insecurity, as well as his apparent class position.

I also think Richard may live at the new Fat Trout trailer park, which would explain his connection to Linda -- or maybe he just sells her drugs.

I think Red called the designer drug "Sparkle."

I think this drug could be produced by the Black Lodge. It may be designed to put people under its control.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Was it Richard and Linda mentioned? If so, then by Episode 6, both have been mentioned/introduced.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I posted this in the Richard Horne parentage thread, but also thought it should go here:

Why isn't Richard a rich kid like Audrey? Instead he's dressed in an ordinary style and is at the low end of the drug trade.

This suggests he isn't benefiting from the Horne wealth and name. Why not?

If he was Audrey's kid, you'd expect him to be part of the family. Since he's not, either something happened with Audrey and the fam or Richard isn't brought into the family proper because he's Ben or Jerry's "mistake." That would explain his anger and his insecurity, as well as his apparent class position.

I also think Richard may live at the new Fat Trout trailer park, which would explain his connection to Linda -- or maybe he just sells her drugs.

I think Red called the designer drug "Sparkle."

I think this drug could be produced by the Black Lodge. It may be designed to put people under its control.
Food for thought.

Rich kids can get involved in the low end of the drug trade. They are the kids that start out as users, and gradually deal in drugs to feed their habit.

My take is that Richard is a relative big shot in Twin Peaks, but when someone comes from outside of town, he realizes the world has a lot bigger and meaner fish than him.

Still I think it's quite possible he has never been acknowledged by the Hornes. Really, at this point, we know virtually nothing about Richard Horne other than the fact that he's a sociopath.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

I thought he was a sociopath too, but I think this episode subverted that expectation in a similar way to people's initial reactions to Doris.

Richard Horne is too deeply insecure and angry, IMO, to be well off. He melts down at the idea of being called a kid.

I don't believe he's got a bad drug habit because he probably wouldn't be a reliable enough dealer. Then again, we just saw this episode that he's not a reliable dealer -- running kids over in broad daylight is not how the drug trade goes unnoticed.

So yes, I suppose I do buy that he could be a rich kid living down.

I still don't see why a rich kid would bother interacting with dangerous people like Red though.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

We obviously don't know anything about Richard's background yet. I can imagine a few scenarios in which he grew up without money--it could be he is, in fact, Audrey's son and she was either disinherited or rejected her father's money on political/philosophical grounds; it could be that he is neither Audrey's nor Jerry's nor Ben's kid, but instead from "poor relations" to the Hornes we know--and he's super bitter about it.

On the other hand, I do not think anything we've seen would contradict an entitled, shitty rich kid who's slumming it a bit because he wants to be a big shot on his own screwed up terms.
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Richard Horne is too deeply insecure and angry, IMO, to be well off. He melts down at the idea of being called a kid.
What!? Kids who grew up with every advantage, who think the world revolves around them, can't be deeply insecure and angry? To me, his reaction to being called "kid" and generally not being kowtowed to by Red is the best evidence we've gotten that he did grow up rich.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Evidence for or against Richard being somewhat new to Twin Peaks:

He seems to know the area well, but when he refers to Frank Truman, he says "the sheriff here is like 90 years old or something."

That makes it seem like he's not really as familiar with the place as someone who had grown up in it.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

counterpaul wrote:We obviously don't know anything about Richard's background yet. I can imagine a few scenarios in which he grew up without money--it could be he is, in fact, Audrey's son and she was either disinherited or rejected her father's money on political/philosophical grounds; it could be that he is neither Audrey's nor Jerry's nor Ben's kid, but instead from "poor relations" to the Hornes we know--and he's super bitter about it.

On the other hand, I do not think anything we've seen would contradict an entitled, shitty rich kid who's slumming it a bit because he wants to be a big shot on his own screwed up terms.
Wonderful & Strange wrote:Richard Horne is too deeply insecure and angry, IMO, to be well off. He melts down at the idea of being called a kid.
What!? Kids who grew up with every advantage, who think the world revolves around them, can't be deeply insecure and angry? To me, his reaction to being called "kid" and generally not being kowtowed to by Red is the best evidence we've gotten that he did grow up rich.

Add to this that he's not very sophisticated or cultured like the Hornes we know. Why does he dress like he does? What's up with his crappy truck? He gives off this image of ordinariness that doesn't fit with his family at all.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

So if Carl Rodd and The Log Lady were taken, what happened to the third person?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

counterpaul wrote:
Agreed. You don't behave like Richard does if you don't think you're untouchable.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

KyleRickards wrote:So if Carl Rodd and The Log Lady were taken, what happened to the third person?
Alan Traherne was the the other boy he worked as a sound tech in LA and died in 1988 of cancer p 145
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
wowdavidwow

Post by wowdavidwow »

Jerry Horne wrote:Wild (and wrong) theory that I woke up to: Cooper is in a coma and the Rancho Rosa stuff is a dream he is having on his way to regaining consciousness. Truman is watching over him.

Hey, Jerry Horne. How do you know that your theory is wrong? Maybe the Rancho Rosa stuff is a dream.
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by BMS242 »

wowdavidwow wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Wild (and wrong) theory that I woke up to: Cooper is in a coma and the Rancho Rosa stuff is a dream he is having on his way to regaining consciousness. Truman is watching over him.

Hey, Jerry Horne. How do you know that your theory is wrong? Maybe the Rancho Rosa stuff is a dream.
Gerard's "Wake up!" could certainly be interpreted as supporting this, although it's way too obvious given the familiar territory for Lynch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk