Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Novalis wrote:
Cappy wrote:
BlueRose69 wrote:I'm behind on this topic and haven't read through all the pages, so I apologize if this was posted before. There was someone that commented on a post on the Welcome to Twin peaks fanpage on Facebook that made me really think....could Mr. Strawberry= Red? Does Red have a connection to "Bad Coop" or the warden in some way?
My initial take was that Mr. Strawberry was an individual suspected of a horrific crime when the warden was a cop or prison guard, and maybe the warden murdered him (in self defense, or maybe Mr. Strawberry 'got off on a technicality') and it has haunted him ever since. Hence, Mr. Strawberry isn't taking calls. I don't know why this was the first conclusion my mind jumped to.

There definitely is something up with Red though. I think the "King and I" reference might be a clue.
I took that as a reference to Red's absolute autocratic power over Richard. Maybe he's saying (stroking for a moment an imaginary bald head), "Observe care that head shall not be higher than mine. When I shall sit, you shall sit! When I shall kneel, you shall kneel." Or maybe he's saying 'alright we get the point, you think this town is a pushover; well I've already said that I like it here, so there's no need for all this "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera!" about fat sheriffs asleep at the wheel'. Either way it is absolutely dismissive, and functions perfectly to shut down Richard's attempts to be chatty and familiar with him, further highlighting the asymmetry of the relationship between a criminal kingpin and a lackey kid.
Given the obvious parallels being made between Becky and Laura -- couldn't the King and I reference be a callback to leland and making commentary on the relationship between Red, Shelly and Becky. We know Shelley knows red. Perhaps he could be Beckys father, not going so far as to say he molested her or anything, but their might be something there
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

I rewatched the scene where Hastings is in jail and appears to finally come to grips with how screwed he is. The dark sinister figure appears in the nearby cell and then departs. Other posts have pointed out the similarity of him with one of the strange characters in their meeting above the convenience store. I recalled the S2 scene when Leland was finally trapped in the jail cell and Bob left him. Is this maybe what we're seeing with Hastings? (i.e. the bearded dark character was the Bob-like spirit that was "with him" and is now moving on to screw with somebody else)
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

Just a random thought: it has been speculated that the beginning scene with the giant takes either place in the white or the black lodge.
But even before season 3, there has been speculation that the white and black lodge are the same place; similiar to Milton's words: "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."
What if Lynch gaves us a blatant visual clue at the beginning: the scene is in black and white, and Cooper is in the place that is both the black and white lodge at the same time?
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Low Entropy wrote:Just a random thought: it has been speculated that the beginning scene with the giant takes either place in the white or the black lodge.
But even before season 3, there has been speculation that the white and black lodge are the same place; similiar to Milton's words: "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."
What if Lynch gaves us a blatant visual clue at the beginning: the scene is in black and white, and Cooper is in the place that is both the black and white lodge at the same time?
That's a great interpretation, and it supports the reason why the Giant is there, which seems a poetic visual translation of:
"Only when we are everywhere will there be just one.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

'Sonny Jim' - is that a little odd? It's more like a pet name, something you'd say in jest (or anger) - "Just wait until your father gets home, Sonny Jim!"
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

some other posts have got me thinking about the overall structure of this thing, and I'm mainly curious right now about whether or not all of these plots are going to converge or whether we're going to be left with some subplots.

first off, I'm pretty confident that, seeing as we are 1/3 of the way into the season, we aren't going to be introduced to more subplots. But even with what we have now, there are are few plots that seem pretty distinct from the main narrative.

goodcoop/badcoop/jefferies/south dakota/las vegas/argentina/nyc/fbi/hawk are all interconnected, but then you've also got Jacoby's shovels, drug distribution / hit and run subplot, and the 119 woman in Rancho rosa. do y'all think those will tie in to the main narrative, or do you think we're going to have a couple sidestories that play out independently?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

dud wrote:some other posts have got me thinking about the overall structure of this thing, and I'm mainly curious right now about whether or not all of these plots are going to converge or whether we're going to be left with some subplots.

first off, I'm pretty confident that, seeing as we are 1/3 of the way into the season, we aren't going to be introduced to more subplots. But even with what we have now, there are are few plots that seem pretty distinct from the main narrative.

goodcoop/badcoop/jefferies/south dakota/las vegas/argentina/nyc/fbi/hawk are all interconnected, but then you've also got Jacoby's shovels, drug distribution / hit and run subplot, and the 119 woman in Rancho rosa. do y'all think those will tie in to the main narrative, or do you think we're going to have a couple sidestories that play out independently?
I would not bet the farm on no more subplots, though I honestly can't see how there is much room for many more. To me, BadCoop, DougieCoop, Jeffries, South Dakota, New York, Las Vegas, etc. all tie together as one plot.

Here are the subplots as I see them so far:

Drugs in Twin Peaks: Richard, Red, Bobby, Chad etc.

James and Renee: At this point it might just be a cameo, but I assume James is going to try and hook up with that Renee girl.

Andy and Lucy and Wally: This one may have already played itself out but we'll see.

Sheriff Truman and Doris: The suicide of their son thickened the main plot.

Doc Jacoby and Golden Shovels: I still believe this will hook into the main plot somehow but we will see.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

ah yes i forgot about James and Renee! I wonder how that will tie in

I wonder if Truman/Doris plot will converge with the hawk/Andy/Lucy investigation or the drug / hit and run investigation. my guess is the latter
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

One thing I thought of is how a lot of people think we are not necessarily watching everything in order...some thing may have happened before and some after , the whole is it future is it past thing..

We saw DoppelCoop talk to someone he presumed to be Agent Jeffries in part 1 or part 2 .... in part 4 we have Albert confess that he gave some info to Jeffries who was in contact with Cooper ''years ago'' .... so is it safe to assume that DoppelCoop and Jeffries have been in contact for quite some time? If it is, then how come only now is Jeffries mentioning to DoppelCoop that he met with Major Briggs? :?: It is sort of like he has just stumbled on to this information recently... :?:

IF the scenes taking place in all of these parts are not necessarily linear is it possible that someone from the sheriff's station is the person talking to DoppelCoop? In that scene Bobby mentions how Agent Cooper was the last person to see his dad alive, we also know DoppelCoop saw Major Briggs by reading TSHOTP... Maybe the scene from the sheriff's station in Twin Peaks takes place before the scene where DoppelCoop uses that device to contact Jeffries :?: not sure if this is making sense in this post but my brain knows what I am talking about :D :D :D ....119!!! 119!!!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Are we all agreed that Hasting's secretary is Betty Briggs?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Are we all agreed that Hasting's secretary is Betty Briggs?
Would she be too old to be a secretary? I always assumed in the series she was between 40-45 years old...after 24 years she would be retired...I guess...

But then again these things that seem too ''obvious'' have been correct so far, like little ways of Lynch and Frost making us feel good about ourselves because we guessed something correctly...but we still have no idea where this plot is leading :D

But that is my thinking as well..Betty Briggs is Bill Hasting's secretary
Mibbler
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mibbler »

Jerry Horne wrote:Are we all agreed that Hasting's secretary is Betty Briggs?
I´m not sure about that... IIRC it is suggested that Bill Hastings is having an affair with his secretary Betty... but I can´t imagine that Betty is Betty Briggs due to the great difference of age there would be between them... I imagine a woman mor or less as old as Bill (or slighty younger).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think the affair (if any) is with Ruth Davenport, the murdered librarian -- the implication being that he was sleeping with her and killed her, but for some reason doesn't remember and thinks he barely knows her. Betty the secretary was just his alibi -- he says he gave her a lift home when she had car trouble.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Doesn't Daria mention wiring Betty's car?

Does Betty have the Dossier? Is she on the run from Bad Coop?

Bad Coop needs to trust the information he gets from Ray. Does this relate to the Dossier.

Why was Ruth killed?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I don't see why Betty Briggs would have moved to South Dakota and became a secretary of a school principal. Stranger things have happened though.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.