Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My guess is that Ruth was killed to frame Bill and take him off the playing board. He knows the coordinates -- whatever they are for -- and DoppelCoop doen't want any competition getting there first.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I do think we are seeing different timelines in play. Maybe Hawk gets a clue from the pages and that will lead him to G Grove* to meet Cooper coming out. Then they go to the Log Lady's for pie & coffee?

*flash forward
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Jerry Horne wrote:Doesn't Daria mention wiring Betty's car?

Does Betty have the Dossier? Is she on the run from Bad Coop?

Bad Coop needs to trust the information he gets from Ray. Does this relate to the Dossier.

Why was Ruth killed?
Just to add a few more - what's in that leather bag that Hank has? It doesn't look like something you'd keep maintenance tools in - is it from Ruth's apartment? And who is Chip - and why doesn't he have a phone? That's weird.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

kafa81 wrote:One thing I thought of is how a lot of people think we are not necessarily watching everything in order...some thing may have happened before and some after , the whole is it future is it past thing..

We saw DoppelCoop talk to someone he presumed to be Agent Jeffries in part 1 or part 2 .... in part 4 we have Albert confess that he gave some info to Jeffries who was in contact with Cooper ''years ago'' .... so is it safe to assume that DoppelCoop and Jeffries have been in contact for quite some time? If it is, then how come only now is Jeffries mentioning to DoppelCoop that he met with Major Briggs? :?: It is sort of like he has just stumbled on to this information recently... :?:

IF the scenes taking place in all of these parts are not necessarily linear is it possible that someone from the sheriff's station is the person talking to DoppelCoop? In that scene Bobby mentions how Agent Cooper was the last person to see his dad alive, we also know DoppelCoop saw Major Briggs by reading TSHOTP... Maybe the scene from the sheriff's station in Twin Peaks takes place before the scene where DoppelCoop uses that device to contact Jeffries :?: not sure if this is making sense in this post but my brain knows what I am talking about :D :D :D ....119!!! 119!!!
I've also had the idea that the person who Evil Cooper is talking to may have found out that evil Cooper met with Garland from what bobby said at the station...So that person may either be a character at the station or there's a 4th wall breakage (a character is watching the show and then entering the show, or something). So yeah, time is probably not being presented in straight forward manner.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The point-of-sales computer screen behind the bar in the "Diane reveal" shot oddly calls attention to itself. The moving red shape is slightly reminiscent of the red square on Duncan Todd's computer screen. I assume it's probably a coincidence...but that is a very distracting background graphic during a huge reveal.

Is the red square related to the red balloons? Has anyone compiled a definitive list of all red balloon appearances to date?
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

I have a very quick question for all of you:

How many familiar old school TP characters do you think will die this season?

I personally think this shit is going to get very very dark before there's any light.
p-air
Roadhouse Member

Post by p-air »

Been thinking a lot about Coop’s scribbles on the case files: ladders and stairways. In parts of the case files we see floor plans which display an aerial view of steps. Coop’s images of ladders (resembling the frontal view of steps) and stairways (resembling the lateral view of steps) work on a symbolic level representing the different angles from which Coop inspires Bushnell to look at the case, beyond the perspective portrayed on the page. It’s an insight into his investigative method. He is reawakening!
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Jerry Horne wrote:Wild (and wrong) theory that I woke up to: Cooper is in a coma and the Rancho Rosa stuff is a dream he is having on his way to regaining consciousness. Truman is watching over him.
It would be a great David Bowie link. The BBC series Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes worked on a similar premise and storyline.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Jerry Horne wrote:I do think we are seeing different timelines in play. Maybe Hawk gets a clue from the pages and that will lead him to G Grove* to meet Cooper coming out. Then they go to the Log Lady's for pie & coffee?

*flash forward
I would love that.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

dropkick23 wrote:
kafa81 wrote:One thing I thought of is how a lot of people think we are not necessarily watching everything in order...some thing may have happened before and some after , the whole is it future is it past thing..

We saw DoppelCoop talk to someone he presumed to be Agent Jeffries in part 1 or part 2 .... in part 4 we have Albert confess that he gave some info to Jeffries who was in contact with Cooper ''years ago'' .... so is it safe to assume that DoppelCoop and Jeffries have been in contact for quite some time? If it is, then how come only now is Jeffries mentioning to DoppelCoop that he met with Major Briggs? :?: It is sort of like he has just stumbled on to this information recently... :?:

IF the scenes taking place in all of these parts are not necessarily linear is it possible that someone from the sheriff's station is the person talking to DoppelCoop? In that scene Bobby mentions how Agent Cooper was the last person to see his dad alive, we also know DoppelCoop saw Major Briggs by reading TSHOTP... Maybe the scene from the sheriff's station in Twin Peaks takes place before the scene where DoppelCoop uses that device to contact Jeffries :?: not sure if this is making sense in this post but my brain knows what I am talking about :D :D :D ....119!!! 119!!!
I've also had the idea that the person who Evil Cooper is talking to may have found out that evil Cooper met with Garland from what bobby said at the station...So that person may either be a character at the station or there's a 4th wall breakage (a character is watching the show and then entering the show, or something). So yeah, time is probably not being presented in straight forward manner.

I'd also like to know if anyone will be breaking the 4th wall in this 18 part magnificent piece of film! :D
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

kafa81 wrote:
I'd also like to know if anyone will be breaking the 4th wall in this 18 part magnificent piece of film! :D
Sorry for the spoiler, but It was me talking to evil Cooper on the satellite phone. I just want to be with BOB again.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Shelly never gets a last name in the credits while all the other main/returning characters do. Thoughts?
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

So it seems most of the theories about alternative timelines are off the table.

Although there's something weird going on regarding time with Major Briggs and also probably Cooper in the gray/white lodge.

When Mike asks Cooper if this is future or past, I think he's just calling attention to the weird way time flows in the lodge, that the lodge seems to give access to multiple periods. Or he's just telling Cooper time has passed -- hey man, you've been here 25 years, time to go.

The Bad Cooper rape theories have more support from the show now, which is unfortunate. Sure, that subject builds drama, but it's also disgusting. I'm not happy about multiple characters, Diane, Audrey, etc, being turned into victims. If all of this ends up true, however, I hope at least we see the female characters overcome their abuse and play some role in Bad Coops' defeat.

My biggest theory about the show at this moment is that it needs to be interpreted like a long novel, which means treating certain scenes not as plot movers but as explorations and riffs on the show's themes, atmosphere, and character. For example, Jerry feeling lost can be read as Lynch and Frost's postmodern commentary on the average entertainment consumer's confusion at art functioning as something other than commodity (for example, estrangement).
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

ThumbsUp wrote:Shelly never gets a last name in the credits while all the other main/returning characters do. Thoughts?
I suppose we're not supposed to know "yet"?
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Mr. C has to be a strong candidate for our billionaire box owner. In Part 7, we see he has his huge mansion in South America.

This would make Sam and Tracey pawns of Mr. C.

We might even learn later that Tracey was hired to infiltrate Mr. C's project.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge