Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Pinky
RR Diner Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Pinky »

he's talking about the end of the show and how the ending reflects the era we're in now; if we were in the golden age, the finale would reflect that. However, we're not, so it didn't. It's in reference to an earlier question on Hinduism: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... about_the/
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Just posted this in the Part 18 thread, but figured I’d cross-post here given the lack of conversation lately. I don’t yet have a theory, but in the hopes of spurring some, here’s something I just noticed and haven’t seen discussed before.

So we all know by this point that the dead guy in Carrie Page’s house looks an awful lot like Tommy the loan shark. And we’ve speculated on why he is there and why Carrie (or someone else) might have killed him.

What I haven’t seen mentioned is that something seems to have been frozen bursting out of the man’s chest, possibly black creamed corn or an orb:

55C096EB-CC83-4537-9599-284D3FD0141A.jpeg

Any thoughts? Was Bob stalking Laura/Carrie in this reality too, and she stopped him by killing his host at the moment the orb was emerging? Is there any significance to Tommy’s Woodsman-esque flannel?
What if there are several different "dreams" going on at the same time? The dreamer dreams many scenarios.
The BOB orb is in every single "dream scenario" there exists. In the dream where Carrie Page exists the orb was inside that dead man. In the dream where Carrie doesn't exist the orb was inside Mr. C.

Maybe Carrie shot the guy while the battle between the Green Glove Guy and Bob Orb was happening. Then the orb started to emerge from the dead man's chest, but it stopped because in that another dream Bob Orb was punched down in hell fire and was defeated. Maybe that sort of an ultimate defeat stopped its existence in every other dream too at the same time the defeat happened.

Maybe "two birds with one stone" is about making a thing happen in one dream and make it affect other dreams too. Warp between dreams to find the dream that has the possibility of defeating Bob and/or Judy, and then do that thing and make them be gone from all dreams altogether.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

In Vegas, Dougie lives on Lancelot Court, and there is Merlin Market mentioned as well as the intersection of Merlin and Guinevere. These are references to King Arthur, just like Glastonbury Grove. That plus the 'Sycamore street makes me wonder if maybe Cooper is still in the red room.

There's as the Sycamore street in South Dakota where Gordon almost gets taken into the vortex, and Bill Hastings gets killed by woodsmen.

There's also Arrowhead road where Ruth Davenport's head and Major Briggs' body is found, then we see Tracy in NY wearing what looks to be arrowhead earrings.

The world's largest Jack Rabbit is in Odessa Texas.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Apologies if anyone else posted this in a different thread, but I thought I would play with the address numbers on Carrie's home since there were a couple of other interesting dates found with Dougie's address and I think the other was with the 1-1-9 lady. Carrie's address is 1-5-1-6. Reversed, it's 6-1-5-1, or June 1, 1951. The only thing meaningful that seemed to happen on this date was the first self-contained titanium plant opening n Henderson, Nevada. It didn't seem like much at first, and this might be a stretch, but titanium is pretty indestructible, hard to corrode, and a strong element. Most importantly, it's a very poor conductor of electricity, unlike gold, copper, and silver. All I could think of was Sarah Palmer smashing Laura's picture repeatedly, which was immune to destruction, and Laura shutting down the electricity at the end of the show. - Don't know if the date is intentional or a coincidence, but thought it was neat to pass along.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

It was Dale Cooper who said "The past dictates the future" and today I hit upon this sentence from our late and beloved Stephen Hawking "It’s the past that tells us who we are. Without it we lose our identity."
But he is sure about time travel. In 1991, he enunciated what he called the chronology protection conjecture, that will, as he put it, “keep the world safe for historians, It says that the laws of physics do not allow time machines.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/scie ... eline.html

And this brings us to the logical implication of Dale Cooper loosing not only his crystal clear mind but his identity as well at the moment he woke up in that motel-room, when he found that note from ... Linda, which was addressed to ... Richard. But, he preserved Phillip Jeffries' and the Giant's words "He remembered."
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Xavi wrote:It was Dale Cooper who said "The past dictates the future" and today I hit upon this sentence from our late and beloved Stephen Hawking "It’s the past that tells us who we are. Without it we lose our identity."
But he is sure about time travel. In 1991, he enunciated what he called the chronology protection conjecture, that will, as he put it, “keep the world safe for historians, It says that the laws of physics do not allow time machines.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/scie ... eline.html

And this brings us to the logical implication of Dale Cooper loosing not only his crystal clear mind but his identity as well at the moment he woke up in that motel-room, when he found that note from ... Linda, which was addressed to ... Richard. But, he preserved Phillip Jeffries' and the Giant's words "He remembered."

Xavi, i read the obit articles last week and it was amazing how much Peaks lingo was in there.

"Dr. Hawking even figured out a way to explain how particles might escape a black hole. According to quantum principles, the space near a black hole would be teeming with “virtual” particles that would flash into existence in matched particle-and-antiparticle pairs — like electrons and their evil twin opposites, positrons — out of energy borrowed from the hole’s intense gravitational field.

They would then meet and annihilate each other in a flash of energy, repaying the debt for their brief existence. But if one of the pair fell into the black hole, the other one would be free to wander away and become real. It would appear to be coming from the black hole and taking energy away from it."

Black Hole = Black Lodge :)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Xavi wrote:the laws of physics do not allow time machines.[/b]
But they do allow for teapots.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

So at one point in TSDoLP (the 11/10/85 entry), Laura dreams of the address 1400 River Road. Upon getting there, she sees Margaret, who also dreamt of the location and was told to go there to spend time with Laura. What was the location? An “old, abandoned gas station.” :shock:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:So at one point in TSDoLP (the 11/10/85 entry), Laura dreams of the address 1400 River Road. Upon getting there, she sees Margaret, who also dreamt of the location and was told to go there to spend time with Laura. What was the location? An “old, abandoned gas station.” :shock:
Great find!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:So at one point in TSDoLP (the 11/10/85 entry), Laura dreams of the address 1400 River Road. Upon getting there, she sees Margaret, who also dreamt of the location and was told to go there to spend time with Laura. What was the location? An “old, abandoned gas station.” :shock:
And, from the same entry:’

“I could see in her eyes that something had hurt her, but I didn't even begin to understand what it was until Mom told me when I got home. She said that Margaret (the Log Lady) had a husband who was a fire fighter. He was killed fighting a fire, and Mom said it was awful because he tripped over a root or something and fell headfirst into hot coals and burned himself to death, face first...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

After reevaluating the Owl Cave map I found that the 'S3 swirling portals' (deemed by some as very un-peaksy) are in fact seeded deeper in Twin Peaks mythology than I originally assumed. Both the portals in S3 even spiral in the same direction. Seeing that the Fireman's entrance is somewhere on the foot of Blue Pine Mtn. I can only figure that the portal shown on White Tail mtn. must be referring to the entrance in the basement of The Great Northern.

Naamloos.png
Naamloos.png (445.59 KiB) Viewed 9518 times
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

What confuses me, is how Hawk's map seems to show what looks like the waterfall coming from the right peak, next to a ''basement'' (cave) at it's foot and the Judy symbol leaning towards the right peak. I thought it might have been upside down but Hawk points to the right peak and says it's Blue Pine mtn.

Image comes from a really nice analysis of Hawk's map
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

yaxomoxay wrote:
And, from the same entry:’

“I could see in her eyes that something had hurt her, but I didn't even begin to understand what it was until Mom told me when I got home. She said that Margaret (the Log Lady) had a husband who was a fire fighter. He was killed fighting a fire, and Mom said it was awful because he tripped over a root or something and fell headfirst into hot coals and burned himself to death, face first...
Wow! This pretty much assures me that Frost did in fact (re?) read the diary before starting to write write TSHOTP. Maybe as early as 2011, when the book was republished with a new foreword by him and Lynch. Check out the parallels with Margaret Coulson, Carl Rodd and Alan Traherne's adventure in the woods. Good job Mark!!
"Here are some of the things she told me. She said that sometimes the woods are a place to learn about things, and to learn about yourself. Other times the woods are a place for other creatures to be, and it is not for us. She said that sometimes people go camping and learn things they shouldn't. Children are prey sometimes...she told me that she would be watching, and someday people will find out that she sees things and remembers them...it is important to remember things you see and feel...owls are sometimes big...and I listened to her hum this song that I had never heard before, but I thought it was very nice. It made me feel safe, which I think she was trying to make me feel."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:After reevaluating the Owl Cave map I found that the 'S3 swirling portals' (deemed by some as very un-peaksy) are in fact seeded deeper in Twin Peaks mythology than I originally assumed. Both the portals in S3 even spiral in the same direction. Seeing that the Fireman's entrance is somewhere one the foot of Blue Pine Mtn. I can only figure that the portal shown on White Tail mtn. must be referring to the entrance in the basement of The Great Northern.

Naamloos.png
So cool. Great catch. I wonder how conscious something like this is on L/F’s part, vs. Unified Field and/or coincidence (depending how much of a believer you are ;)). We do know they rewatched Episode 29, so seeing the map could well have triggered something.

BTW, Jasper did some great sleuthing and discovered that the “pinwheel” glyphs seem to have their basis in ancient Arizona-area petroglyphs: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3650&p=91943&hilit ... yph#p91943

I’m still curious about this thing, both what the real-world glyph represented and what the in-show associations may be:
C789E11B-0F24-4407-B672-57D3916F21CD.jpeg
C789E11B-0F24-4407-B672-57D3916F21CD.jpeg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 9497 times
In a way, it calls to mind the “Judy” symbol, like a scarab with mandibles coming out the top.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

My take is that it's only slight asymmetry pertains to the underlying duality of it all. In show that is. It can also look a bit like a tent made of drapes, maybe a mask.

Twin Peaks wiki suggests it could represent Wokaimumbic, a giant cannibal owl spirit.
1 . wokaimumbic — a giant, cannibalistic owl. It
talks and behaves like a human being, but
resembles an enormous butterfly. It grabs
children, flies away with them, and then eats
them.
Which theory in turn seems to stem from this very forum, to be more precise the thread you mentioned. Both the entry on the Twin Peaks wiki and the forum post were made on july 4th 2017. The definite answer could very well be in this book on page 207 which simply isn't part of the google books preview :) (geez, this reminds me of times I could get assortment of pages from tshotp by accessing the google books preview through various proxies and share them pre-release on this board. I've tried a couple but page 207 remains hidden. Not sure I want to buy this book just for that :lol: )

Maybe we can find both a Twin Peaks geek and an expert that live in the area (around Dubois, Wyoming) and make 'em do a full report.

Did we ever find out who drew the owl cave map?? IRL that is.