Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Bookworm »

dronerstone wrote:Speculation:

EvilCoop is now weaker than before, after both having been shot and losing BOB.

GoodCoop certainly needs to regain his consciousness, then cue: GoodCoop vs. EvilCoop - The Ultimate Showdown .
I think it's exactly what won't happen. I think they are going to merge, and what would be more good than a fight between them is DoppelCoop willingly merging with OriginalCoop. I mean I hope we won't have a spectacular fight ala Matrix i.e Neo vs Smith, it wouldn't be as rewarding as a DoppelCoop rendition to GoodCoop (again, just my opinion) What would be really beautiful and great is GoodCoop extending a hand to his Doppelganger, embracing his shadow, as he was supposed to do when he entered the Black Lodge 25 years ago, accepting him and them merging together. I always thought that the best way to perfection meant you have to know yourself and accept your dark side, your fault and fails. What better scene than Cooper literally embracing his doppelganger in order to integrate him and be really complete? I do think GoodCoop need DoppelCoop as much as DoppelCoop need GoodCoop.

Sorry for my atrocious english, I do my best but I'm still struggling with grammar.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Bookworm wrote:

GoodCoop certainly needs to regain his consciousness, then cue: GoodCoop vs. EvilCoop - The Ultimate Showdown .
I think it's exactly what won't happen. I think they are going to merge, and what would be more good than a fight between them is DoppelCoop willingly merging with OriginalCoop. I mean I hope we won't have a spectacular fight ala Matrix i.e Neo vs Smith, it wouldn't be as rewarding as a DoppelCoop rendition to GoodCoop (again, just my opinion) What would be really beautiful and great is GoodCoop extending a hand to his Doppelganger, embracing his shadow, as he was supposed to do when he entered the Black Lodge 25 years ago, accepting him and them merging together. I always thought that the best way to perfection meant you have to know yourself and accept your dark side, your fault and fails. What better scene than Cooper literally embracing his doppelganger in order to integrate him and be really complete? I do think GoodCoop need DoppelCoop as much as DoppelCoop need GoodCoop.

Sorry for my atrocious english, I do my best but I'm still struggling with grammar.
Your English is better than some who claim it as their first language. :lol:

Your post gives me flashbacks to Star Trek (original series) when Captain Kirk got split into "good Kirk" and "evil Kirk" in the transporter, and Spock figured out that they couldn't exist without each other. I'm really, really, really hoping this isn't the direction we are heading (actually, I'm 100% positive that Lynch would neither do this or set up a big mano a mano - like so many awful Hollywood films do).
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

Don't know if somebody already said it. But what if all the numbers they gave us are the coordinates that bad coop is looking for?

430 235(time and time again) 253

199 199 199

?
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Just thought about something, we now know why Leland was bleeding like crazy after Laura's murder:

In this episode we saw that when BOB is inside a vessel (after they "were opened and invited "him, using Leland's word), he takes the form of a black rock in their body. (Dougie also had a rock inside of him while having the ring, though it later became a gold nugget). I take it that the rocks, eggs and gold vomited by the Experiment are the essence of the Lodge spirits. (but I don't know what to make of the silver nugget device from Buenos Aires).

We knew that after he tried to possess Laura, Leland had a severe wound on his stomach and with his blood wrote the "fire walk with me" note, also leaving a bloody towel on his way to Glastonbury grove that Hawk found along with some of the diary's faded pages. BOB healed him inside the Lodge when MIKE demanded his garmonbozia. (the script confirms all of it and also adds that Leland cuts his belly wide open with a knife during the ceremony).

So, I think that BOB tried to excised himself from Leland's body to put the rock inside Laura like the woodsmen did to the doppelganger.

Laura also probably had the dragon ball made from ???????'s mind which probably was the reason BOB wanted to possess her in the first place.

So, maybe the ring is an important spirit's essence and that's why BOB's plan could not become Laura? Maybe it was what kept the manufactured Dougie alive. I guess Laura's orb will is reincarnated inside someone else after her death (a redhaired Sheryl Lee?). Maybe BOB killed Maddy because he thought she had Laura's orb?

On a side note, for those who read the Access Guide, do you think that the egg creature from episode 8 was one of the flying frogs from Native American legends mentioned in the guide?
ShelleyAgedWell

Post by ShelleyAgedWell »

Could the girl that swallowed the bug-frog thing in Ep8 of the return be the Log Lady? Perhaps it is that bug inside of her that gives her this otherworldly knowledge of the supernatural within Twin Peaks that the other characters do not possess?
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by KyleRickards »

So way back in Episode 1, when BadCoop gets Ray And Darya, are those two working for Beulah?

Also, I'm convinced there was more to Tracy, she seemed very keen to get in that box room in NYC

ETA: we've never found Ruth davenports body have we? (Yet!)

Further edit: in ep 1, Hawk doesn't seem surprised to hear the name a cooper again plus he also says to Lucy/Andy to get the files they discussed... so has it been an ongoing topic in the police dept for 25 years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I wonder if the Lodge spirits are really moving backwards through time while humans move forward. Like perhaps the Woodsmen took BOB out of Cooper in the present, then they help him to re-grow and seed another host sometime in the past. The same thing with Laura possibly, where ?????? is not creating Laura, but instead conjuring her soul to be sent to Earth to counter BOB in the past.

There are a lot of holes with this, but either way I have no clue where/when the next episode will take place.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

72 pages in the episode 8 thread and no-one is with me on thinking the frog-moth is the LMFAP/arm? I thought it would be the most common theory!
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Ok.
I've got to pay credit to Glenn Kingsley's great blogs for these thoughts;

http://onechancetwinpeaks.blogspot.com. ... t.html?m=1

But I find this idea that the roadhouse is this centre for obstructing the clues that should be obvious to us-- really intriguing.

So is it possible that Deputy Chad (Who we know is being paid off by Richard Horne) is in on the prostitution/ drug racket in Twin Peaks?
Given the prior history of the Horne family with human trafficking and prostitution and Richards evident misogyny does this suggest that Richard Horne could be involved in the sex trade?
Then he would also be linked to the Renaults (Jean Michel) who we know has just sold off two 14 year old girls from the high school to someone. And given RED's involvement with Shelley in the roadhouse. Shelley is worried about Becky because she is acting strange, but like Bobby-- Stephen isn't really the problem.

Actually Becky is involved in the Renault/Horne/Red/Chad sex trade and this is the real problem with her?

Hence shelleys friends saying 'Everyone loves stephen'
And Shelley saying 'You don't understand something is really wrong with Becky'

Also maybe the thing that is really wrong with her is she is being psychically invaded by Bob
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

BigEd wrote:
Bookworm wrote:

Your English is better than some who claim it as their first language. :lol:

Your post gives me flashbacks to Star Trek (original series) when Captain Kirk got split into "good Kirk" and "evil Kirk" in the transporter, and Spock figured out that they couldn't exist without each other. I'm really, really, really hoping this isn't the direction we are heading (actually, I'm 100% positive that Lynch would neither do this or set up a big mano a mano - like so many awful Hollywood films do).
Yep, that is exactly the outcome to The Enemy Within!
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

At the back of my mind, I have been wondering about the whole woodmen thing - Going around with oily faces asking people for a light.

It reminded me a bit of the terminator, when he appears (the 2nd terminator liquid metal guy) and takes on the image of the first person he encountered (a cop).

Maybe the woodsmen when they first appeared (as some kind of other being/spirit) saw such a woodsman, asking someone for a light, and these spirits (without understanding it at all) have mimicked this behaviour, as if to pass themselves off as human - they have no idea how absurd it seems to real humans.

I think the same thing might have happened with Bob too - he took the image of the first person he saw (who looked like frank silva obviously), and maintained it.

I would maybe have argued that the fact Bob/the woodsmen even have an image is simply a device for the audience to recognise them (such as the Bob/Laura orbs that we see), but in the original series everyone seems to agree on what Bob looks like. There is even a sketch.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

In anticipation of The Return, my plan was to re-watch the original series, but I simply couldn't find the time, and only made it through most of Season 1 before the current story began airing. This was probably for the best, as continuing to trek through the old episodes is keeping me occupied from one Sunday to the next. You guys know how difficult the wait can be!

A couple of nights ago I reached Season 2, Episode 12 and discovered something at the end: During the storm, when Bobby and his mother are talking in their living room as the Major returns, she is wearing a Blue Rose bathrobe.
Blue Rose Bathrobe 01.jpg
Blue Rose Bathrobe 01.jpg (462.62 KiB) Viewed 8607 times
Blue Rose Bathrobe 02.jpg
Blue Rose Bathrobe 02.jpg (464.79 KiB) Viewed 8607 times
Blue Rose Bathrobe 03.jpg
Blue Rose Bathrobe 03.jpg (475.97 KiB) Viewed 8607 times
It's a real thrill to find something new with each viewing. In addition to rediscovering small details we may have forgotten over time, or overlooked in the past, there's always the possibility of stumbling into things that simply never had any significance previously, either due to our focus being elsewhere at the time, or as a result of our constantly expanding knowledge of the Twin Peaks universe.

Anyway, it could be a coincidence, or it could be completely intentional. I don't actually know when the Blue Rose concept was birthed in the minds of the creators. Nonetheless, this find was pretty exciting for me. Please excuse my enthusiasm... I'm just trying to entertain my Twin Peaks obsession between weekends!

If there truly is something here, then I suppose it lends significance to the theories about Betty being part of the current story. Perhaps this was a gift from Garland to his wife to symbolize a special and rare bit of knowledge they shared -- a visual indicator backing up the notion that she knows something of vital importance, considering the classified nature of the information her husband was gathering.

Could just be a happy accident though. Regardless, it would be great to see her again and to learn about any connection she potentially has to the work that her husband was doing.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

The Brown Lodge wrote:At the back of my mind, I have been wondering about the whole woodmen thing - Going around with oily faces asking people for a light.

It reminded me a bit of the terminator, when he appears (the 2nd terminator liquid metal guy) and takes on the image of the first person he encountered (a cop).

Maybe the woodsmen when they first appeared (as some kind of other being/spirit) saw such a woodsman, asking someone for a light, and these spirits (without understanding it at all) have mimicked this behaviour, as if to pass themselves off as human - they have no idea how absurd it seems to real humans.

I think the same thing might have happened with Bob too - he took the image of the first person he saw (who looked like frank silva obviously), and maintained it.

I would maybe have argued that the fact Bob/the woodsmen even have an image is simply a device for the audience to recognise them (such as the Bob/Laura orbs that we see), but in the original series everyone seems to agree on what Bob looks like. There is even a sketch.
Probably -- and I'm not joking -- Mark Frost was Skyping with Lynch and DKL's chain smoking behavior got into his conscience. And of course, DKL has been public about his smoking so he'd go with it, or perhaps he was the source.

Do remember, this is 1956, at the height of USA smoking rates. Everyone, and I mean everyone (60%) smoked. The cigarette hanging out of the mouth and asking for a light was not that unusual.
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

I too think that the "Gotta Light?" statement is not a random thing. As mentioned, it could mean searching for a good, "light" soul. It also reminds me of the whole "Fire walk with me", "Let's rock" thing. Think of terms like "Light up", "Light my fire". Maybe "start" a fire. There was a log lady intro to the old series that differed between benevolent and evil fire.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I'm currently torn between thinking of the Woodsmen as being:

a) Lodge spirits akin to MIKE and BOB

b) actual Woodsmen who suffered a horrific death, whether it was in that big early 20th Century fire that ravaged Twin Peaks (from Secret History), or they were hobos that were squatting in a convenience store at the site of the first atomic test

c) Evil sorcerers/dugpas who worship BOB. Maybe they were mortals once, but they perished during the first atomic test when performing a ritual to summon BOB into our world. Now they exist as ghosts, solely committed to the further propagation of evil and protection of BOB at all costs. Their service in BOB's name has given them immortal life.

I wonder if evil individuals can gain immortal life in the service of evil, then can good characters achieve a similar fate for performing altruistic feets? I suppose Laura is in this territory now, but I think everyone would collectively lose their minds if Lynch/Frost could somehow have Jack Nance return as sort of a Wholesome and Noble version of a Woodsmen. I don't know how they would pull it off, but I imagine Lynch accumulated quiet a bit of b-roll footage of Nance over the years...