Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by tamygdala »

The mysterious Naido as Judy and what it all could mean. I noticed something in Part 17 during the close-up of Naido's face morphing into Diane. Looking closely at the superimposed image of Cooper over Naido, I noticed the placement of his eyebrows over Naido's face (changing from black smoke to Diane) eerily matches the mysterious image on Mr. C's playing card and on Hawk's living map. So what if this was a subtle visual clue and Naido is really Judy?

Mr. C wants Judy but he doesn't know what form she has taken. He thinks he'll find her at the location near Jack Rabbit's Palace but she was found the day before by Truman, Briggs, Hawk, Andy. The plan is for Mr. C and Judy to reunite and bring about the end of the world - just as Frost alluded to in The Final Dossier. I imagine Judy and BOB have conquered/destroyed other worlds and now the battle is our own Earth. The Fireman is hip to this and creates The Laura orb - the essence of purity and good - to act as a deterrent to the pervasive evil that is about to be unleashed in our world. Like the Log Lady said, 'Electricity is humming. You hear it in the mountains and rivers. You see it dance among the seas and stars and glowing around the moon, but in these days, the glow is dying. What will be in the darkness that remains?' The Laura orb - the glow - is fading and soon there will be only darkness, Judy/BOB.

Naido appeared near Jack Rabbit's Palace hoping to be found By Mr. C (his coordinates) but Briggs sent the message to his son and the other "Good men" to intercept her and ultimately to trap Mr. C. Once Mr. C is killed and the BOB bubble is destroyed, Naido transforms into Diane, a familiar and love of Cooper, who continues his mission to save then find Laura and return 'the glow' to this world & ultimately destroy Judy, like Jeffries was doing before he evolved into a tea kettle. But Judy has fooled not only Coop but the Fireman. His message to Coop in Part 1 is an assignment to find Laura and return her/the light to Twin Peaks, and to our world. But since 'it is in our house now,' he doesn't foresee Judy still hiding within Diane, who knows what resides within her subconsciously when she sees her double outside the motel in Part 18.

Coop knows that when he 'crosses over' he'll be reunited with his shadow self, the remnants of BOB. "Once we cross over it might all be different." Judy knows this, too. The sex scene in the motel room is the long planned union of BOB and JUDY, through the guises of Diane and Cooper (Richard and Linda). Diane/Linda disappears so Cooper/Richard will continue his journey to find Laura Palmer, hiding within Carrie Page. As Coop/Richard drives Laura/Carrie home, he is solemn. Subconsciously he knows what is happening, the end is near, but there's a struggle within Cooper/Richard, the good side is still virtuous while the evil side waits patiently. The destination is The Palmer house, which is a portal to the Convenience store, the hub of evil created post-Atomic blast. Sarah Palmer is host to The Jumping Man, a talisman, as Lynch described to the actor playing him, who will perform a ceremony within The Convenience Store once Laura arrives, destroying Laura and facilitating the end of all hope/light. But Cooper resists going inside and investigating. The spirits within the Palmer house await as Cooper ponders what year it is and the memory of Laura Palmer returns, showing her and us the audience the evil that awaits within The Palmer residence and the eventual end of the world.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Just wanted to add to the discussion about the loan shark from Part 6 reappearing in Carrie's house. Janey-E, at the end of the conversation, remarks "you best take a long hard look at yourselves because I never want to see either of you again." Of course we do see him again and, like with The Cowboy from Mulholland Dr, I think this is an ominous detail that alerts us to the fact that things haven't gone well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

Rik Renault wrote:Just wanted to add to the discussion about the loan shark from Part 6 reappearing in Carrie's house. Janey-E, at the end of the conversation, remarks "you best take a long hard look at yourselves because I never want to see either of you again." Of course we do see him again and, like with The Cowboy from Mulholland Dr, I think this is an ominous detail that alerts us to the fact that things haven't gone well.

Do you mean the corpse in Carrie’s house?
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Yes...there was a discussion about it a little while back. Im on Tapatalk so i cant say for certain how many pages it was.

possessed soul

Post by possessed soul »

tamygdala wrote:The mysterious Naido as Judy and what it all could mean. I noticed something in Part 17 during the close-up of Naido's face morphing into Diane. Looking closely at the superimposed image of Cooper over Naido, I noticed the placement of his eyebrows over Naido's face (changing from black smoke to Diane) eerily matches the mysterious image on Mr. C's playing card and on Hawk's living map. So what if this was a subtle visual clue and Naido is really Judy?
Okay. I watched the scene again, and tried to see what you said about the eyebrows. Instead of matching with Naido/Diane, the eyebrows match perfectly with the clock that jumps back to 2:53. The clock itself is black and square like the thing in the playing card. Was Mr C trying to become the god of time? Cooper altered the past in this same episode. Jeffries even shows the same symbol before that time travelling. I'm sorry if I misspelled anything it's very late and i'm not native speaker.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

possessed soul wrote:Was Mr C trying to become the god of time?
I love this.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Just posted this in the Part 18 thread, but figured I’d cross-post here given the lack of conversation lately. I don’t yet have a theory, but in the hopes of spurring some, here’s something I just noticed and haven’t seen discussed before.

So we all know by this point that the dead guy in Carrie Page’s house looks an awful lot like Tommy the loan shark. And we’ve speculated on why he is there and why Carrie (or someone else) might have killed him.

What I haven’t seen mentioned is that something seems to have been frozen bursting out of the man’s chest, possibly black creamed corn or an orb:
55C096EB-CC83-4537-9599-284D3FD0141A.jpeg
55C096EB-CC83-4537-9599-284D3FD0141A.jpeg (675.91 KiB) Viewed 10810 times
Any thoughts? Was Bob stalking Laura/Carrie in this reality too, and she stopped him by killing his host at the moment the orb was emerging? Is there any significance to Tommy’s Woodsman-esque flannel?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Just posted this in the Part 18 thread, but figured I’d cross-post here given the lack of conversation lately. I don’t yet have a theory, but in the hopes of spurring some, here’s something I just noticed and haven’t seen discussed before.

So we all know by this point that the dead guy in Carrie Page’s house looks an awful lot like Tommy the loan shark. And we’ve speculated on why he is there and why Carrie (or someone else) might have killed him.

What I haven’t seen mentioned is that something seems to have been frozen bursting out of the man’s chest, possibly black creamed corn or an orb:

Any thoughts? Was Bob stalking Laura/Carrie in this reality too, and she stopped him by killing his host at the moment the orb was emerging? Is there any significance to Tommy’s Woodsman-esque flannel?
Wow! I always noticed the oddity of his shape but didn't notice that. That's incredible! Great find!

For what it's worth, that orb starts to come out of Mr C only after he gets shot. So perhaps she killed him first? And then it somehow got frozen coming out?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Just posted this in the Part 18 thread, but figured I’d cross-post here given the lack of conversation lately. I don’t yet have a theory, but in the hopes of spurring some, here’s something I just noticed and haven’t seen discussed before.

Wow! I always noticed the oddity of his shape but didn't notice that. That's incredible! Great find!

For what it's worth, that orb starts to come out of Mr C only after he gets shot. So perhaps she killed him first? And then it somehow got frozen coming out?
I was wondering about the logistics of that, too. Perhaps the pale horse figure on the mantle has some significance to this? After all, the pale horse was seen by Sarah, who has links to Judy, and whose call seems to “awaken” Carrie at the end of the series.
Tonydes

Post by Tonydes »

Interesting. In Jungian archetypes a White Horse represents the Unconscious bringing a subject that was buried to Consciousness. So that someone might face it.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

In some eastern theology like Hinduism and Buddhism, the protruding stomach is symbolic of desire, like In the hungry ghosts. Its the domain of addiction, where we constantly seek something outside ourselves to curb an insatiable yearning for relief or fulfillment. The aching emptiness is perpetual because the substances, objects or pursuits we hope will soothe it are not what we really need. We don’t know what we need, and so long as we stay in the hungry ghost mode, we’ll never know. We haunt our lives without being fully present.

The orb coming out of Mr. C's belly after being shot reminds me of Ravana in Ramayana (one of Lynch's personal favorites) having a nector immortality stored in his belly.

A pale horse is brought up in Revelations as a sign of doom. It is symbolic for the human senses in hinduism. The whole thing goes: the body is the chariot, buddi is the charioteer, the mind is the reigns, the horses are the senses and the roads are the selfish desires by which they travel.

Also someone reddit pointed out there are hanging nooses outside on the lawn of Carrie's house and a commode in the living room, perhaps meaning he was an invalid that committed suicide, as the blood splatter also hinted at a short range.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Great catch Reindeer.

The little info we get about the Page world seems to place it on a more "real" footing than the Freddie world. If that is the case(?) then the bloated charred stomach of the body in Carrie's home may be "bleedover" from the surreal Freddie world, that is, just a visual cue of the dead guy's inner self. Sort of the way I look at the FWWM scene of Bob coming through the bedroom window. I like to believe that "Bob" was never in that scene (as he was in others) but was a representation of Leland's inner self (and he never came through the window). My immediate reaction to your find is that the bloated stomach is a representation of whatever motivated that body in life. Laura finally got Bob. Then moved on to Judy - also reduced to an abstract representation in the Carrie reality.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: After all, the pale horse was seen by Sarah, who has links to Judy, and whose call seems to “awaken” Carrie at the end of the series.
- Don't know why the significance of Sarah's call to Laura, or Laura's memory of her mother calling her, didn't hit me until reading this. I've always loved the character of Sarah Palmer, but I've always felt that Sarah suspected for quite some time that Laura was being abused. It was too devastating for her to acknowledge or accept, so she stayed silent, never acting on what her gut feeling was telling her in order to help her daughter. I also think this guilt probably consumed her character in the years after Laura's death/disappearance.

The fact it's her call to her daughter that helps Laura to defeat Judy (if that's what Laura has done at the end of Episode 18) is a bit of redemption/moment of freedom for Sarah's character. She's finally able to help save her daughter the way she wish she had so many years ago. Maybe Cooper didn't fail after all. He did reunite Laura with her mother - just not the way he thought. It was always Laura's and Sarah's mission to complete - not Cooper's. - Don't know if the Final Dossier negates this reading since we know from the book that the little girl from Episode 8 was Sarah Palmer and presumably possessed by Judy, but maybe Laura is also saving her mother from Judy in this moment, as well.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

My French is rusty and I can make out almost everything but the main part of it, lol. What's it say en anglais?