POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your feelings after having seen the first four parts?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Like or Love
85%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
12%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
2%
Dislike or Hate
1%

Total votes: 313
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

This poll is intended for those who've seen every one the first FOUR parts, so hold off on voting until you've watched them all.

The poll will remain open until the airing of part 5.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4

Post by Melong »

Definitely Like or Love.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Absolutely LOVED it... :D
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Loving Twin Peaks more than ever! :mrgreen:
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

I like it more the more I think about it, which is pretty much the ultimate litmus test for art with me. (The opposite, less satisfying response being that I'm initially pleased but like it less under scrutiny.)
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

I like it. So far I don't think it's on par with the originals, but nonetheless still pretty awesome with great potential.

Right now my episode ratings would look like this...

Part 1 -7/10
Part 2 -8/10
Part 3 -8/10
Part 4 -9/10
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Loved it.

In fact, going into this season I was one of the ones going "I hope this is one-and-done and ends gracefully", but, after those four episodes .. now I'm really hoping Frost/Lynch have some more cooking up if this season goes well (though, I'm skeptical they do).

Feels like a sprawling epic, and captures the spirit of pretty much every Lynch work to-do in one series.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'm really enjoying it thus far and I'm very intrigued by it. I have some minor gripes but it's just my initial impressions, I haven't rewatched it yet.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Loved it. I guess what we saw made it very clear that this is not a reboot, but rather a revamp. If it continues like that, I think this might once again break with the current rules and methods of modern day television and make room for new ideas.

I also believe this is the best thing Lynch has done yet, as it not only draws from all of his previous works but even adds completely unexpected and new elements/moods.

And no, I don't have a brown nose, there's some stuff that I don't even like about DKL, most of which has to do with his involvement in what I see as a cult and scam group.

But from an artistic perspective, he will probably forever be among the best folks EVER for my tastes. :)
Specialagentjeffries

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

I was initially shocked by the lack of music and the editing (I feel like some scenes are edited by Dunham and some by Lynch himself like IE and missing pieces). It was not what I expected (I wanted the FWWM feel) but can't stop watching it. The more I watch it the more I like it.
beyondthesea

Post by beyondthesea »

Panapaok wrote:I'm really enjoying it thus far and I'm very intrigued by it. I have some minor gripes but it's just my initial impressions, I haven't rewatched it yet.

This post, to me, sums up a lot of what is important about Twin Peaks. I've never really associated TP with one defining atmosphere, for example, or one defining genre, but I have always associated it with creating intrigue, discussion (good or bad) and an excitement at trying to figure out what the bloody hell is going on. For those reasons, I wanted this new series to be as peculiar as possible; I wanted it to be different. A lot of us have debated and discussed TP to death over the past 25 years, and I think in order for that 'phenomenon' to continue, L&F had to present a vastly different feel with this.

I'm assuming, until I know better, that most everything that is happening, is happening for a reason. As another poster pointed out - maybe lots of things aren't actually clues, but just precursors to clues to heighten your senses. I also have no problem with the lack of music. Quite the opposite in fact. We are predominantly in a cold world at the moment, and I think the lack of tunes creates further coldness. It also prevents us from anticipating what is about to happen, after all the TP music generally is quite obvious. In the past it has warned us of impending events. The lack of it now creates an uncertainty, which I am finding fascinating. I currently don't know when I should be feeling terrified watching it, as i'm not being prompted by the music, so therefore the whole thing feels terrifying to me. I sense this is deliberate, or at least it works for me in that way. I spent the entire first two episodes just staring slightly to the right of the TV, or with my hand partially covering my eyes (on first watch), as the sense of doom I had was immense.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Had I been asked this after my initial splurge of the four episodes I'd have gone mixed and leaning torwards dislike.

However, I've rewatched them again over the last two evenings and I have done an absolute 180. I'm now totally on board. Episode 3 is my least favourite so far but I found that episode 4 is bringing us back to a place where I think a lot of us will be more comfortable in. Great scene at the sheriff station and then the hilarious interaction with Lucy, Andy and Wally.

I'm noticing the trend of the musical cues to only appear when we are in Twin Peaks; Dark Mood Woods, Laura Palmer's theme etc, so I'm hoping that, as the season progresses and we get more action there, the musical cues will become more prominent and the show will start to feel like 'home' again. Like others, the lack of music is a major thing for me. The music of Twin Peaks/Lynch/Badalamenti has been the soundtrack of my life in a way and I was really hoping for more of that.

But no, I'm on board for the ride. I cannot wait to see episode 5.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4

Post by Panapaok »

sneakydave wrote:I'm noticing the trend of the musical cues to only appear when we are in Twin Peaks; Dark Mood Woods, Laura Palmer's theme etc, so I'm hoping that, as the season progresses and we get more action there, the musical cues will become more prominent and the show will start to feel like 'home' again.
That's exactly what I believe.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Specialagentjeffries

POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

I believe too that an event in the story will bring back the music.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Re-watching it improved it greatly in my mind. When I read The Secret History, I thought that Frost was placing Twin Peaks in a larger, broader context. The original two seasons and the film were self-contained, self-perpetuating and isolated in their own sphere. This season has placed Twin Peaks, it's characters on the borders of other worlds and ideas. Cooper, in particular, has been literally navigating his way through it. Almost 'feeling it out' like we are. When I saw it again, and digested it a little more, it has felt more expansive and tenuous but also determined and focused.

Also, don't know if anyone else has done this already, but: