Season 3 clips with old Twin Peaks music (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 3 clips with old Twin Peaks music (SPOILERS)

Post by Skip Bittman »

Awful stuff. I want some new Badalementi tracks as much as anyone, but this feels so clunky.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Soolsma wrote:Yeah yeah. Agreed on your points. Thing is I don't even properly know how the video editor I'm using works. (or how to adjust volume for the music)

I wasn't going to put a lot of effort in to this..... yet!

As I said: just an experiment, consider it a sketch
This isn't my area of expertise, but l have made audio synced videos before using Windows Movie Maker (Win 7 or XP?). However, that was to create a slide show to go with a song l made - not matching video with bespoke music.

May l ask which editor you are using? I think you can use Vegas, ACID Pro (a very dead DAW program now, it got cannibalised by its sister project, Vegas), Adobe Aftertouch (?), and many more. Most DAWs these days allow you to video edit. In fact there are probably FOSS (federation of open source software) programs out there.

I don't have a lot of free time (yeah, l know ... l know) but if you have ACID Pro l could be tempted to help out, as l have this dead program clunking around on my hard drive. It crashes way too much, but it's quite user-friendly.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Honestly, don't like any of the examples. Maybe with newly composed music it would work, but, taking old scores and dropping them in doesn't.

I think the only scene that I really felt was missing some jazzy music was the Ben/Jerry bit.

As it is, I really like how the lack of music causes the few times music actually appears to *really punctuate*. Bad Coop's entrance wouldn't have been as powerful if wall-to-wall music had happened before and after it, or, as I recall (I might be misremembering) Bobby's reaction at seeing Laura's photo. The original series wall-to-wall use of music meant that it never felt like a particular point of emphasis (beyond perhaps when it was a Julee Cruise song, which tended to signify particularly meaningful events).
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

StrangerDanger wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Yeah yeah. Agreed on your points. Thing is I don't even properly know how the video editor I'm using works. (or how to adjust volume for the music)

I wasn't going to put a lot of effort in to this..... yet!

As I said: just an experiment, consider it a sketch
This isn't my area of expertise, but l have made audio synced videos before using Windows Movie Maker (Win 7 or XP?). However, that was to create a slide show to go with a song l made - not matching video with bespoke music.

May l ask which editor you are using? I think you can use Vegas, ACID Pro (a very dead DAW program now, it got cannibalised by its sister project, Vegas), Adobe Aftertouch (?), and many more. Most DAWs these days allow you to video edit. In fact there are probably FOSS (federation of open source software) programs out there.

I don't have a lot of free time (yeah, l know ... l know) but if you have ACID Pro l could be tempted to help out, as l have this dead program clunking around on my hard drive. It crashes way too much, but it's quite user-friendly.

AVS video editor.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Soolsma wrote:AVS video editor.
Blah, never mind, l don't have it. Best of luck though :)
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Someone should collect the clips were music from the old series actually were used (can't do it myself, being technically imbecile); the opening, Hawk in the woods (Dark Mood Woods), the Vegas scene with Patrick Fischler (Percussion) and Bobby seing Laura's portrait (LP's Theme), and more will come.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I like them.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, they really don't work for me at all.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

bob_wooler wrote:Someone should collect the clips were music from the old series actually were used (can't do it myself, being technically imbecile); the opening, Hawk in the woods (Dark Mood Woods), the Vegas scene with Patrick Fischler (Percussion) and Bobby seing Laura's portrait (LP's Theme), and more will come.
Watching/listening with headphones, I thought I could very faintly hear Dance of the Dream Man during the Laura Palmer sequence in episode 2. VERY faintly, but I heard it both times I watched.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Coffee wrote:Yeah, hate both of those. Removes the atmosphere from the scenes somehow.
Ditto. It's an interesting fan edit and it's a nice discussion piece, but I think it goes to show Lynch made the right creative choice imho.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

the new series does not need the old music underneath it.. i love the cold, dreary atmosphere that is created by the sound design. listening to it with headphones really reveals a lot of stuff, there's additional sounds almost throughout the entire thing. omnious and foreboding synth drones which doesn't tell you what to feel but reveals to you that something in this world you are watching are dead wrong, or straight up dangerous. and when the music hit it really hits you.. the cold silence and wind blowing outside of the sheriff station is suddenly interrupted by hard hitting percussion and a heavy blues ("American Woman") slowed all the way down as we see a car in the woods, at night. that piece of music was just right and it's so effective just because it's the first real piece of music heard in the entire show at that point. the use of "Take Five" was also very effective, and as a jazz lover and a fan of Brubeck, it is such a piece that is both great and something the hostess at a dinner party in a place like Rancho Rosa might play.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Robot Butler wrote:
Coffee wrote:Yeah, hate both of those. Removes the atmosphere from the scenes somehow.
Ditto. It's an interesting fan edit and it's a nice discussion piece, but I think it goes to show Lynch made the right creative choice imho.
Agreed, but I do enjoy watching these youtube clips.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

This one made me lol