Season 3 Timeline (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 3 Timeline (SPOILERS)

Post by Hockey Mask »

counterpaul wrote:
Here is my attempt to create a roughly chronological timeline of Days 9-10 (my goal is to place events on the correct days, and also take time of day into account when there are indications--obviously, there is some just plain guessing, but I think this is close):
I love this list and it looks pretty accurate.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Since Hawk says that the date on Major Briggs's clue is "the day after tomorrow," that scene has to take place on the 29th.
Well, Briggs' note had two dates on it - 10/1 and 10/2, right? So it could conceivably be the 30th, although it doesn't make much sense that they'd just blow off the first date.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

counterpaul wrote:Great work, as usual, Hockey Mask!

Since Parts 9-11 presented events far less chronologically than any other section of TPTR (so far), I think it might be worthwhile to try and list the scenes in chronological order.

Here is my attempt to create a roughly chronological timeline of Days 9-10 (my goal is to place events on the correct days, and also take time of day into account when there are indications--obviously, there is some just plain guessing, but I think this is close):

DAY 9 (Sept 29)
09.01 Evil-Coop walks up to The Farm
09.02 On the plane, Gordon receives call from Colonel to divert to Buckhorn
09.03 Evil-Coop meets Hutch and Chantal
09.04 Gordon informs Diane and pilot going to Buckhorn, Warden Murphy calls Gordon to let him know of Cooper's escape.
09.05 Evil-Coop sends coded text, calls Duncan asking if it's done-better be done next time he calls, Duncan asks Roger to come into his office
09.06 Evil-Coop tells Hutch to kill Warden Murphy, Chantel kisses Evil-Coop goodbye before he drives off, Hutch shoots phone.
09.07 Las Vegas Police Department: The Fuscos interview Bushnell, Bushnell explains Dougie's earlier car accident then tells Dougie they will work together tomorrow, police discuss no info on Dougie before 1997 and cost of taillight, get Dougie's prints off coffee cup, palm prints of Ike came off gun. Dougie-Coop stares at flag, red heels and outlet.
09.08 The Fuscos inspect new taillight
09.09 Ike leaves message that he failed mission, police gather in motel parking lot, Ike arrested in hallway.
09.11 Johnny Horne runs into wall.
09.12 Bobby, Truman and Hawk interview Betty about Garland, Garland had told Betty they would come one day, Betty gives them cylinder hidden in secret compartment of chair
09.13 Buckhorn morgue: Diane smokes and receives Evil-Coop's coded text, Detective Macklay tells Gordon & Co. about Hastings' blog, coroner shows them Dougie's ring.
09.14 Jerry fights with his foot in the woods.
09.15 Lucy eats lunch at her desk, Chad eats lunch in conference room, Truman tells him to go to lunchroom, Truman doesn't know how to open capsule.
09.16 Bobby throws capsule at ground, it emits tone, throws again and it opens, note inside says to go to Jack Rabbits Palace on 10/1 and 10/2.
09.17 Diane smokes, joined by Gordon and Tammy.
09.18 Tammy interviews Hastings, Hastings posted about different dimension, Major was hibernating and asked for coordinates, Hastings I.D.'s picture of Major Briggs, Major floated up and said "Cooper, Cooper" before his head disappeared.
10.04 Candie swats Rodney Mitchum with remote
10.05 Janey-E checks out Dougie-Coop's figure at doctor appointment.
10.06 Candie cries, the Mitchums see television report on Ike arrest and Dougie.
10.07 Janey-E asks Dougie-Coop if he finds her attractive while he eats cake.
10.08 Janey-E and Dougie-Coop have sex, Sonny Jim hears her scream.
10.09 Dr. Amp does show, Nadine watches, automatic drapes open and close at Run Silent, Run Drapes, shovel in store window.
09.19 Ben and Beverly hear humming in Great Northern, Ben refuses Beverley's advances.
11.12 Truman and Hawk discuss map, fire and corn, Log Lady calls Hawk ("There's fire where you are going"). Deputy Jesse asks Truman if he wants to see his new car.
10.15 Roger informs Duncan they caught Ike, Duncan tells Anthony to go to Mitchum brothers and frame Dougie.
10.16 Albert and Constance have Dinner.
10.17 The Mitchums see Anthony on security camera and send Candie to get him, Anthony frames Dougie.
10.18 The Mitchums discuss setting up meeting with Dougie.
10.19 Gordon draws, opens door for Albert but sees Laura, Albert tells Gordon about Diane's texts about Hastings, Tammy shows picture of Evil Coop at glass box in NYC.
09.20 Roadhouse: Chloe meets Ella, Chloe mentions a zebra, Ella has job loss and an armpit rash and a new job.

DAY 10 (Sept 30)
10.10 Janey-E shows appreciation to Dougie-E about "last night".
10.11 Jerry in the woods.
09.10 Andy and Lucy argue about what color chair to buy.
10.01 Richard attacks Miriam, sets her trailer to explode, Richard calls Chad to intercept letter from her to sheriff.
10.02 Carl sings "Red River Dreams," coffee mug tossed through window at Fat Trout.
10.03 Steve attacks Becky.
11.14 Bushnell does push-ups at his desk, Mitchum brothers case was not arson, Mitchums want to meet Dougie at 5:30, $30,000,000 check.
11.15 Mitchums eat breakfast in afternoon, Bradley had dream about Dougie.
10.12 Chad intercepts mail from Lucy.
10.13 Richard receives text from Chad that he got letter.
10.14 Johnny listens to talking bear, Richard attacks and robs Sylvia (grandmother).
11.01 Boys playing ball and find a bloodied Miriam crawling out of woods.
11.02 Becky on phone with no car, screams.
11.03 Shelly gets call from Becky to borrow car.
11.04 Becky gets gun.
11.05 Shelly drives up, Becky takes car, Shelly jumps on hood, falls off.
11.06 Shelly asks Carl for ride to RR, Carl whistles for bus.
11.07 Shelly and Carl ride into town, Shelly calls Norma. Carl radios Maggie to get ahold of Bobby.
11.08 Becky arrives at apartment building, shoots door, Steven and Gersten Hayward hide in stairwell.
11.09 Maggie takes inbound phone calls.
11.10 Gordon, Albert, Tammy, Diane, Det. Macklay and Hastings arrive at abandoned building (2240 Sycamore), see Woodsman behind building, Gordon sees portal and vision of Woodsmen on stairs, find Ruth's body, Woodsman approaches car and splits open Hastings head.
11.16 Dougie-Coop sees One-Armed Man in coffee shop.
11.17 Dougie-Coop carries box, Bushnell gives him check, loads him in limo, driver recognizes him.
11.18 Limo drives down the Strip to "Viva Las Vegas."
11.19 Mitchums wait in desert.
11.20 Limo driving in desert.
11.21 Mitchums discuss Bradley's dream, healed cut on Rodney's face.
11.22 Limo driving in desert.
11.23 Mitchums waiting while Limo pulls up, Dougie-Coop has box, Bradley dreamed about pie in box and can't kill Dougie-Coop, find check.
11.13 Gordon's hand shakes, Albert shows picture of Ruth's arm with coordinates, Diane memorizes coordinates, Tammy and Macklay join them with donuts and coffee, Diane says she saw a Woodsman getting out of the car.
11.24 Mitchums and Dougie-Coop have Dinner and drinks, Dougie-Coop listens to piano, homeless woman thanks Mr. Jackpots, Candie serves Mitchums and Dougie-Coop cherry pie.
11.24 Piano player plays on.
11.11 Bobby, Shelly and Becky talk at RR, Red and Shelly kiss outside, bullet shot thru window, Bobby finds a boy in minivan with gun, horn honks, Deputy arrives from Big Ed's Gas Farm, honking woman screams while girl passenger vomits.
10.20 Sylvia tells Benjamin about Richard attack and threatens to call her lawyer, Ben asks Beverley if she wants to have dinner.
10.21 Log Lady calls Hawk ("Laura is the one").
10.22 Roadhouse: "No Stars"-Rebekah Del Rio.
That's really great. I find myself wondering why they started messing with the chronology in editing at this point in the "film." It seemed to me that one great strength of all of this so far was how everything seemed to be happening more or less in order; it was all easy to make sense of, and because of that it was a great tool to explain to people that they need to relax, Cooper's only been in Dougie's life for four days, not four weeks like it seems! The slow/patient passage of time felt realistic with so much going on, and presented in order made perfect sense. Of course, it all still works as the timeline itself remains the same, but I kind of wish that the scene with Hawk/Truman discussing the map was placed linearly in Part 10. Do you think that scene actually works better in Part 11? What about the uncut movie version of this thing, would you move that scene back up so it takes place in the proper linear order? The scene feels great where it is, I just wish their dialogue didn't contain the line that spells out that they're probably just speaking later the night of the 29th.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

LateReg wrote:That's really great. I find myself wondering why they started messing with the chronology in editing at this point in the "film."
It's a very interesting question. First, the scenes in the order presented play off of each other extremely well, so it could simply have been a matter of deciding to emphasize thematics over strict chronology. In the grand scheme of the 18 hour film, the story is still moving ever forward. None of the changes in order during these two days of story time change the momentum (in fact, they likely enhance the sense of forward momentum) and the sense we get as viewers is that things are very clearly progressing. Even as some bits within the same plotline (Vegas, for example--which jumps around a lot chronologically) go out of order here and there, the forward progression of the storyline is very clear. There's no "Pulp Fiction" or "Jackie Brown" style backtracking.

So, Lynch and Dunham may simply have cut these two days worth of story in chronological order as usual, watched it, and felt like it wasn't playing as well as it could have. So, they then started experimenting and realized that certain sequences just played off of each other well (and they do!--certainly all the violence grouped together in Part 10 works as a thematic unit, then the madness of the first half of Part 11 followed by the rhythmic/thematic relief of the last half of Part 11) and decided the resonance of putting the scenes in this order was more important than strict chronology. I'd agree!

Probably the weirdest flip (as you mention) is swapping the two calls from Margaret. My guess is that the mention of Laura just worked on the heels of Cole's vision. Again, they were focusing on thematics and it doesn't harm the forward momentum of the overall story, so it's worth it.

Of course, there is a another possibility that interests me. The events of Part 8 seem quite monumental, and I wonder if Lynch is trying to create a diffuse sense of things being thrown off kilter after COOPER's near-death experience. Like I said, it'll be interesting to see whether this more non-linear approach continues when we hit Day 11 and beyond. October 1st and 2nd are all set up to be a big couple of days, so I'm guessing we won't be jumping around between them, but we'll see.

If things get back to a more linear approach from here on, then I think the chronological liberties of Days 9-10 can be read as simply a section of the giant movie when the state of the various storylines created an opportunity for thematics to trump chronology.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Yrev very well said.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

counterpaul wrote:
LateReg wrote:That's really great. I find myself wondering why they started messing with the chronology in editing at this point in the "film."
It's a very interesting question. First, the scenes in the order presented play off of each other extremely well, so it could simply have been a matter of deciding to emphasize thematics over strict chronology. In the grand scheme of the 18 hour film, the story is still moving ever forward. None of the changes in order during these two days of story time change the momentum (in fact, they likely enhance the sense of forward momentum) and the sense we get as viewers is that things are very clearly progressing. Even as some bits within the same plotline (Vegas, for example--which jumps around a lot chronologically) go out of order here and there, the forward progression of the storyline is very clear. There's no "Pulp Fiction" or "Jackie Brown" style backtracking.

So, Lynch and Dunham may simply have cut these two days worth of story in chronological order as usual, watched it, and felt like it wasn't playing as well as it could have. So, they then started experimenting and realized that certain sequences just played off of each other well (and they do!--certainly all the violence grouped together in Part 10 works as a thematic unit, then the madness of the first half of Part 11 followed by the rhythmic/thematic relief of the last half of Part 11) and decided the resonance of putting the scenes in this order was more important than strict chronology. I'd agree!

Probably the weirdest flip (as you mention) is swapping the two calls from Margaret. My guess is that the mention of Laura just worked on the heels of Cole's vision. Again, they were focusing on thematics and it doesn't harm the forward momentum of the overall story, so it's worth it.

Of course, there is a another possibility that interests me. The events of Part 8 seem quite monumental, and I wonder if Lynch is trying to create a diffuse sense of things being thrown off kilter after COOPER's near-death experience. Like I said, it'll be interesting to see whether this more non-linear approach continues when we hit Day 11 and beyond. October 1st and 2nd are all set up to be a big couple of days, so I'm guessing we won't be jumping around between them, but we'll see.

If things get back to a more linear approach from here on, then I think the chronological liberties of Days 9-10 can be read as simply a section of the giant movie when the state of the various storylines created an opportunity for thematics to trump chronology.
Yeah the only thing that's really noticeable is the convo between Hawk, Truman and the map. There was one sequence that seemed to double back in part 10 with Cole/Albert as well that I found more noticeable, but understood it just fine regardless. Some things may be slightly out of order here and there, but for the most part one doesn't notice and it all feels right and flows well. And if anything is out of chronology in Vegas I never notice because all of the Dougie stuff seems to be 100% linear, and that's what's driving that part of the story.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

LateReg wrote:
counterpaul wrote:Yeah the only thing that's really noticeable is the convo between Hawk, Truman and the map. There was one thing that seemed to double back in part 10 with Cole as well that I found more noticeable, but understood it just fine regardless. Some things may be slightly out of order here and there, but for the most part one doesn't notice and it all feels right and flows well. And if anything is out of chronology in Vegas I never notice because all of the Dougie stuff seems to be 100% linear, and that's what's driving that part of the story.
Yeah, with the exception of that scene with Hawk and Frank, every time we check in with a character, things have moved forward for that character (or group of characters).

In Vegas, the Mitchum Brothers stuff and the Coop stuff goes a bit out of order relative to each other (most obviously, we see Janey-E and Coop have their "morning after glow" scene before cutting to the Mitchum Brothers meeting with Anthony the previous night), but once the Mitchums and Coop meet, everything is back in order. So the overall impression is of things always moving forward.

Which Cole scene felt like doubling back to you, out of curiosity? The business in the hotel all takes place the evening of Day 9, but the last time we saw Cole and company was during the interview with Hastings, so that storyline is still going in order (even as most of the other storylines have moved on to Day 10 at that point). I guess I can see how it might feel intuitively like moving backwards when Albert says that Diane received the text earlier that day, even though it feels like the moment with the text happened forever ago. Is that what you meant?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

counterpaul wrote:
LateReg wrote:
counterpaul wrote:Yeah the only thing that's really noticeable is the convo between Hawk, Truman and the map. There was one thing that seemed to double back in part 10 with Cole as well that I found more noticeable, but understood it just fine regardless. Some things may be slightly out of order here and there, but for the most part one doesn't notice and it all feels right and flows well. And if anything is out of chronology in Vegas I never notice because all of the Dougie stuff seems to be 100% linear, and that's what's driving that part of the story.
Yeah, with the exception of that scene with Hawk and Frank, every time we check in with a character, things have moved forward for that character (or group of characters).

In Vegas, the Mitchum Brothers stuff and the Coop stuff goes a bit out of order relative to each other (most obviously, we see Janey-E and Coop have their "morning after glow" scene before cutting to the Mitchum Brothers meeting with Anthony the previous night), but once the Mitchums and Coop meet, everything is back in order. So the overall impression is of things always moving forward.

Which Cole scene felt like doubling back to you, out of curiosity? The business in the hotel all takes place the evening of Day 9, but the last time we saw Cole and company was during the interview with Hastings, so that storyline is still going in order (even as most of the other storylines have moved on to Day 10 at that point). I guess I can see how it might feel intuitively like moving backwards when Albert says that Diane received the text earlier that day, even though it feels like the moment with the text happened forever ago. Is that what you meant?
Yes, you nailed it. That's all that I meant. It's the specific instances of time being mentioned that throws me off because in my head nearly everything else is making sense in totally linear time across all locations. In Part 10 we watch a day pass but then it's suddenly reset in Cole's scenes. Not a big deal at all, it just threw me off.
oxyboldine
Roadhouse Member

Post by oxyboldine »

Hello everyone!

I've done a blog to put my searchs on chronology, to avoid invading this thread!

Here is my version of the chronology, with a big thank you to Hockey Mask for his work of descriptions: http://tp3theories.canalblog.com/archiv ... 86398.html

I've done also videos, that I will update too (as the text) with the future episodes:

Fan Edits - Chronology in videos (1 Video per day): http://tp3theories.canalblog.com/archiv ... 03092.html
Fan Edits - Only in Twin Peaks: http://tp3theories.canalblog.com/archiv ... 08633.html

For the moment, I have a different version that the one proposed by Counterpaul, even if his version works too. Many versions are possible as for the Twin Peaks scenes.

I took into account the fact that two scenes are at night, I think that was not the case in Hockey Mask version: in Part 4 (the 27th) there is a night scene in the middle of the day, at Buckhorn, I think it is a flash-back of the 25th based of Dave and Constance's clothes. And in Part 7, Frank calls Harry at night, so I've decided that the following scenes are the following day (the 29th).
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Twin Peaks Gazette linked this one

https://whitecitycinema.com/2017/07/14/ ... -timeline/

TSHOTP spoiler
Spoiler:
Soooo Return is a month after Tammy after gets the dossier?
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
oxyboldine
Roadhouse Member

Post by oxyboldine »

sylvia_north wrote:Twin Peaks Gazette linked this one

TSHOTP spoiler
Spoiler:
For him the weather forecast happens on a thursday. What do you think?

He doesn't take into acount Lucy's sweater thing between part 9 and 10, nor the idea that Miriam's letter arrives the following day.
Last edited by oxyboldine on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

oxyboldine wrote:

TSHOTP spoiler
Spoiler:
For him the weather broadcast happens on a thursday. What do you think?

He doesn't take into acount Lucy's sweater thing between part 9 and 10, nor the idea that Miriam's letter arrives the following day.
There is no way the weather forecast scene takes place on a Thursday. The television shows temps for Thursday day and Thursday night. It is already night when they see the weather report meaning Thursday day would already be over. Therefore it has to be Wednesday night.
maxbloom

Post by maxbloom »

Hockey Mask wrote:
oxyboldine wrote:

TSHOTP spoiler
Spoiler:
For him the weather broadcast happens on a thursday. What do you think?

There is no way the weather forecast scene takes place on a Thursday. The television shows temps for Thursday day and Thursday night. It is already night when they see the weather report meaning Thursday day would already be over. Therefore it has to be Wednesday night.
I'm sorry but are you SURE they work like that in the US?
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

A forecast is a prediction. Why would they have temps of what has already happened? I don't understand why there is any question here.
maxbloom

Post by maxbloom »

Hockey Mask wrote:A forecast is a prediction. Why would they have temps of what has already happened? I don't understand why there is any question here.
The today-date is not past, is present. At 7PM the day is not over. Weather forecast work like this here. Does it work like that there or not?