S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

C'mon, you know it, in the back of your mind, even though you love what you may have seen so far, in the back of your mind you fear the entire experience will be tainted by an ending that could potentially ruin everything that came before it.

For the record, I never had a problem with the original series ending- even though it was a downer, it was brilliant and a helluva lot higher note for the show to leave on then Josie's soul in a drawer knob. But part of my enjoyment of this new series is that I made peace with my worst expectation, which is that it would be so incoherent I would lose interest immediately. While the new show is dense, inscrutable, it has a wonderful, beautiful story that is relatively simple at its core, but brilliantly branches out to multiple linked mysteries.

But the fact is, we don't know where this leading. Coop and Laura Dern's character looking out at a robin eating a bug? Naomi Watts shooting herself in her own bed. No one can say.

All that being said, here's my worst fear for the ending of Season 3:
****GOOD COOPER STILL TRAPPED IN THE BLACK LODGE*** (Either being tricked back into it, or he never actually left it, only imagined that he did.

i am busy making peace with this great fear for S3 ending. Feel free to share yours...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread

Post by yaxomoxay »

Don't fear it. Just enjoy the trip, wherever it leads. The ending is not everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread

Post by Soolsma »

SIgh... after watching the 4 parts now released, I now assume and made peace with the fact:

We will probably not see or hear from Annie. Not even in the finale.

But that way I can only be pleasantly surprised. Secretly I'm still rooting for her presence.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu May 25, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Post by The Marquis »

I fear no ending. I'm just elated that we get EIGHTEEN more hours of both Twin Peaks AND David Lynch. I never thought we would.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

The Marquis wrote:I fear no ending. I'm just elated that we get EIGHTEEN more hours of both Twin Peaks AND David Lynch. I never thought we would.
Off topic, TheMarquis, but has the office where Gordon is eating that donut been positively identified? It looks to me like the South Dakota police station.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

mtwentz wrote:
The Marquis wrote:I fear no ending. I'm just elated that we get EIGHTEEN more hours of both Twin Peaks AND David Lynch. I never thought we would.
Off topic, TheMarquis, but has the office where Gordon is eating that donut been positively identified? It looks to me like the South Dakota police station.
Wow, it certainly does, I hadn't really looked beyond the donut. I'm curious if it will actually be in the show or was just shot as a promotional bit.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

For all of the dark things that happen along the way, Lynch often favors a happy ending to a story. When he adapted WILD AT HEART, he changed the downbeat ending of Barry Gifford's book into a happy one. And when it comes to TWIN PEAKS, I think Lynch has too much affection for Dale Cooper to end this on a sour note. Cooper's journey back to something resembling normalcy will be long, strange and probably painful, but I have little doubt that he's headed toward better times.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

pinballmars wrote:For all of the dark things that happen along the way, Lynch often favors a happy ending to a story. When he adapted WILD AT HEART, he changed the downbeat ending of Barry Gifford's book into a happy one. And when it comes to TWIN PEAKS, I think Lynch has too much affection for Dale Cooper to end this on a sour note. Cooper's journey back to something resembling normalcy will be long, strange and probably painful, but I have little doubt that he's headed toward better times.
Oh I hope you're right.

Even Coop dying at the end, let's say, in Annie's arms and entering into the White Lodge, would not be an unhappy ending. Bittersweet, yes, but not unhappy.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

This is not the way to approach art or entertainment. Only thing to fear blah blah blah.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

"it was all a dream"

However, I think I could make peace with that, now that I think of it...
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

What if Bad Dale makes his way to Twin Peaks and kills all our favourite characters before defeating Good Dale. :(
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Platypus2000 wrote:What if Bad Dale makes his way to Twin Peaks and kills all our favourite characters before defeating Good Dale. :(
Stay tuned!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

What if the ultimate showdown is between Bad Dale and...Wally?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jasper wrote:What if the ultimate showdown is between Bad Dale and...Wally?
Bring it on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

There's not really an ending I really dread.

Even if it's a downer like Coop back in the Lodge, or dead, or a bunch of beloved characters murdered.

So long as it *feels like an ending* (so, closure of some kind .. not necessarily wrapping up every end, but, as an example, FWWM's emotional ending versus how the original run of Twin Peaks really just ends on a plain cliffhanger).

Even if Lynch/Frost want to do more after (who knows!), I'd still want them to treat this as a somewhat self-contained thing to truly be satisfying.

Like, someone above posted 'what if Bad Dale kills all the characters we love before Good Dale can get to Twin Peaks?' - Bring it on! That sounds dark and depressing as hell. I like messy or melancholy, hard earned victories or well-fought losses. I get enough perfectly happy endings in .. well, almost every blockbuster since the dawn of film.