S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Gabriel
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Gabriel » Mon May 29, 2017 11:10 am

I'm hoping for happily ever after for Dale, but the end credits presaging something else in the woods, maybe for someone in the new show to take care of in another season!
pinballmars
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby pinballmars » Mon May 29, 2017 2:11 pm

MY IDEAL TWIN PEAKS ENDING:

David Lynch works out a deal with Showtime to make more movies.

Sorta like Woody Allen and Amazon.
User avatar
Cappy
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 am

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Cappy » Wed May 31, 2017 8:24 am

Sheriff Harry Truman walks into the police station. He is chewing a donut.

Lucy immediately bombards him with a long winded synopsis of everything that has transpired.

Truman chews very slowly, swallowing only when Lucy rushes off to the bathroom. She says she is sorry for eating evidence that is 25 years old.

Truman swallows his donut.
User avatar
BigEd
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby BigEd » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Elad Repooc wrote:It's already done, so all we can do is go along for the wild ride.

As for a prediction of how I think it might end, I think it might end both open and closed. I think the Cooper story will have closure, but there will be something else left open. I think that would be ideal. It would mean it would feel okay if they decided not to make another season, but also okay if they did.


You would feel "okay" if they don't make another season?! Moderator!!!!! :D
User avatar
Elad Repooc
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Elad Repooc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:06 am

BigEd wrote:
Elad Repooc wrote:You would feel "okay" if they don't make another season?! Moderator!!!!! :D

If it was wrapped up well, yes. It might be better to have 18 episodes of David Lynch genius than to have it dragged out for years just for the sake of it.

That being said, if Lynch and Frost were able to continue it in a way that they are happy with, that would be great.

All things considered, though, what might be the best scenario is if Lynch and Frost were to start afresh with a totally new series about something different. Then there would be none of this talk about whether or not it's like the old Twin Peaks. It would be something new and fascinating in its own way. Alternatively, it could be an offshoot related to The Return, but not related to the town of Twin Peaks in any way. It could be called Buckhorn, for example.
User avatar
Hockey Mask
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Hockey Mask » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm guessing before this season is finished Lynch will announce that there will not be anymore Twin Peaks and it was never meant to extend past 18 episodes.
User avatar
LostInTheMovies
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread

Postby LostInTheMovies » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:08 am

Soolsma wrote:SIgh... after watching the 4 parts now released, I now assume and made peace with the fact:

We will probably not see or hear from Annie. Not even in the finale.

But that way I can only be pleasantly surprised. Secretly I'm still rooting for her presence.


I'd settle for just "hear about" at this point. I mean literally the last line of the series for 25 years was "How's Annie?"

That said, I am 99% positive we'll "hear from her" indirectly - through Laura's note relaying her message. This is, as far as I'm aware, the *only* breadcrumb Lynch ever dropped in 25 years.
User avatar
LostInTheMovies
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby LostInTheMovies » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:12 am

I want the story to have an ending, an open ending sure, but something that feels final (for what it's worth both the original series and FWWM felt that way to me).

I just don't see another season in the works. This was a 5-year effort for a 71-year-old man who hadn't directed anything even feature-length since 2006. I think we already got more than we could have asked for/expected.
User avatar
LostInTheMovies
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby LostInTheMovies » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:19 am

pinballmars wrote:For all of the dark things that happen along the way, Lynch often favors a happy ending to a story. When he adapted WILD AT HEART, he changed the downbeat ending of Barry Gifford's book into a happy one. And when it comes to TWIN PEAKS, I think Lynch has too much affection for Dale Cooper to end this on a sour note. Cooper's journey back to something resembling normalcy will be long, strange and probably painful, but I have little doubt that he's headed toward better times.


I think it will be melancholy but transcendent, more like the final scenes of FWWM, The Elephant Man, or Inland Empire than something straightforwardly joyous/relieving as Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. As much affection as Lynch has for "normalcy" (or at least his offbeat interpretation of that), I don't think he reveres that state enough to return Cooper to it. I think he's rather see him attain a higher plane. This probably involves pain, sacrifice, and some form of physical death as it did for Laura, Merrick, and Nikki.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

I would not be shocked if Cooper ended up going right back home to Janey-E and Sonny Jim.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:55 am

LostInTheMovies wrote:I want the story to have an ending, an open ending sure, but something that feels final (for what it's worth both the original series and FWWM felt that way to me).

I just don't see another season in the works. This was a 5-year effort for a 71-year-old man who hadn't directed anything even feature-length since 2006. I think we already got more than we could have asked for/expected.


You may not see it, but Lynch, Frost, and MacLachlan certainly do. They've indicated as much, Lynch and MacLachlan very recently (on the eve of the premiere of the new show, so to speak), which frankly came as quite a shock to me (I didn't expect anything of the sort at this early date already). I guess Lynch has other things than such trivialities as his age and health to worry about. :)

Besides, what you said about him not directing anything for years is slightly contradictory in light of the new TP: the very fact that Lynch was able to pull off something like this after his 2006-onward hiatus proves he still has it in him, providing the idea/inspiration is there. And vibes regarding the latter which are coming from the production side are promising.
User avatar
Poltergeist27
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:18 am

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Poltergeist27 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 am

I'd love them to do more but I'm greatly interested in whether Showtime is happy with the economics. The U.S. live ratings for the new season are not kind and are actually somewhat bad compared to stuff like American Gods, Fargo, Better Call Saul, and The Leftovers, but factoring in streaming and international licensing in bunches and bunches of countries around the world means that millions ARE watching TP on some form of media.
Metamorphia
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 am

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Metamorphia » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:56 am

Agent Earle wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I want the story to have an ending, an open ending sure, but something that feels final (for what it's worth both the original series and FWWM felt that way to me).

I just don't see another season in the works. This was a 5-year effort for a 71-year-old man who hadn't directed anything even feature-length since 2006. I think we already got more than we could have asked for/expected.


You may not see it, but Lynch, Frost, and MacLachlan certainly do. They've indicated as much, Lynch and MacLachlan very recently (on the eve of the premiere of the new show, so to speak), which frankly came as quite a shock to me (I didn't expect anything of the sort at this early date already). I guess Lynch has other things than such trivialities as his age and health to worry about. :)

Besides, what you said about him not directing anything for years is slightly contradictory in light of the new TP: the very fact that Lynch was able to pull off something like this after his 2006-onward hiatus proves he still has it in him, providing the idea/inspiration is there. And vibes regarding the latter which are coming from the production side are promising.


No one really knows obviously but I get the feeling everyone is just being coy when they talk about more seasons. Everything about this suggests it will be very final.

And that's great imo.
Agent Earle
Posts: 670
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 am

Everything but practically everyone's statements. Lynch doesn't have absolutely anything to gain by being coy in regards to it. Not at this point.
User avatar
kornishpyxee
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am

Re: S3: Make Your Peace Now with the Ending You Dread (SPOILERS)

Postby kornishpyxee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 am

What I dread is that either the real Cooper is dead and that the series is his journey of acceptance of that, a la"LOST" or "Jacob's Ladder". That, or the series is Cooper's journey from the black lodge to the white.

Jenn (kornishpyxee)
The next time you see me it won't be me.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests