Phyllis Hastings (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WalrusSAS

Phyllis Hastings (SPOILERS)

Post by WalrusSAS »

A quick note: When Bad Dale shoots Phyllis Hastings, the blood spray looks very odd. I thought it was just the episode delivery streaming quality messing with me the first time I saw it, but then re-watched it in HD on Amazon. I'm not being overly critical either way, but was that just dodgy special effects, or something more? Bad Dale states that she follows "human nature perfectly." Is he being dismissive of her humanity, or implying that she is inhabited by a lodge spirit? I apologize if that question already was raised elsewhere. But, my question is: was that just iffy blood effects? Or was it something escaping from her body?
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Phyllis Hastings

Post by Metamorphia »

There's definitely some kind of strange morph effect that happens (just for a frame or two).
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Phyllis Hastings (SPOILERS)

Post by Jerry Horne »

Given the comment by Cooper and the effect, It looks like the spirit rises out just after being shot.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

There was a slow GIF of her death posted in the season 1+2 thread. It showed what I thought looked like BOB leaving very briefly. Others have seen differently and say it is just her body being imposed over itself for effect.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Here's the gif I posted in the other thread.
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 445#p80445
TwinPeaks-MrsHastings.gif
TwinPeaks-MrsHastings.gif (990.83 KiB) Viewed 12034 times

In my opinion, there's no Bob or no other spirit leaving the body except perhaps her real and doppelganger spirits made as superimposing two images of the same scene together.
There's also some image warping effect used. And digital blood, I think.

EDIT:
I can now see how people might think they see Bob there though.
In a couple of frames it kinda looks like Bob's jacket is there, but I think it's just Mrs. Hastings as a transparent image where the background blended with Hasting's jacket makes it look like her jacket is blue'ish and makes it look like there is the denim texture.
But really, those images were taken with a digital camera by filming the television at night withouth much light around so the quality of the pictures is not good and that could also make things look like what they aren't.
It's also weird to think they'd only use Bob's jacket and not show any gray hair. Currently it looks like if there is the jacket, then Mrs. Hastings is wearing it. The person who would have that jacket on clearly has the head of Mrs. Hastings.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I'm pretty sure it was just a technique Lynch decided would be dramatic.
mfleite
Roadhouse Member

Post by mfleite »

I wonder what the Morgan's are going to think about this.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

mfleite wrote:I wonder what the Morgan's are going to think about this.
Looks like creamed corn will be on the menu...
Welcome...to the third...place.
derekfnord

Post by derekfnord »

WalrusSAS wrote:Bad Dale states that she follows "human nature perfectly." Is he being dismissive of her humanity, or implying that she is inhabited by a lodge spirit?
That was absolutely my immediate impression when he said it: that she was not actually human herself.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Well, if Bob can create Dougie, maybe he can create other 'people' as well. I'm half expecting Fred Madison to show up in this storyline!
WalrusSAS

Post by WalrusSAS »

Rami Airola wrote: There's also some image warping effect used.
That's really weird, I hadn't noticed that the wall and door frame images warp as well. It's almost like someone held a magnet up next to an old CRT set.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

it's definitely her soul leaving her body as her physical form is dying imo, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with doppelgangers or the lodge (although it could very well be, considering the relation to Bad Coop and the strange murder case of her husband). imo (and i'm pretty sure Lynch is on the same page) is that whoever you are you are your soul while your body is just a vehicle that when it's finished you leave and goes to the other world, later to be reincarnated. so it doesn't have to be any strange, but it's a lovely effect.
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

Well the fact this visual effect is only used (so far) in this one death scene and not in the others we've seen so far, would mean there is something unique about Phyllis IMO. Also bad Coop's remark immediately prior where he implies she isn't human...
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Elric99 wrote:Well the fact this visual effect is only used (so far) in this one death scene and not in the others we've seen so far, would mean there is something unique about Phyllis IMO. Also bad Coop's remark immediately prior where he implies she isn't human...
I read that line much more in the vein of coop not being human. Like an animal fascinated by a human who cant do nothing but follow her natural instinct no matter the consequences. This fascinates him, hence the line.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

claaa7 wrote:
Elric99 wrote:Well the fact this visual effect is only used (so far) in this one death scene and not in the others we've seen so far, would mean there is something unique about Phyllis IMO. Also bad Coop's remark immediately prior where he implies she isn't human...
I read that line much more in the vein of coop not being human. Like an animal fascinated by a human who cant do nothing but follow her natural instinct no matter the consequences. This fascinates him, hence the line.
Agreed. He's like a predator pleased/fascinated that his prey walked right into the trap.