Phyllis Hastings (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Phyllis Hastings (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

When someone uses the word 'definitely'...

There's only one stunt person listed in the credits. Do we know what actor she was doubling for?
Darkmood

Post by Darkmood »

douglasb wrote:When someone uses the word 'definitely'...

There's only one stunt person listed in the credits. Do we know what actor she was doubling for?

I follow stunt woman/actress Tammie Baird on Twitter, who's on the cast list and went to the premiere. Was scrolling her follow list, and the only TP actor I noticed she follows is Madchen.
^◊^
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Elric99 wrote:Well the fact this visual effect is only used (so far) in this one death scene and not in the others we've seen so far, would mean there is something unique about Phyllis IMO. Also bad Coop's remark immediately prior where he implies she isn't human...
It could also be done to hide the bad CGI blood
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Elric99 wrote:Well the fact this visual effect is only used (so far) in this one death scene and not in the others we've seen so far, would mean there is something unique about Phyllis IMO. Also bad Coop's remark immediately prior where he implies she isn't human...
I think Bad Coop meant that humans are very predictable and that she did what Bad Coop had anticipated her to do i.e. I think she invited George to her place and it was George's gun that killed her
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Phyllis Hastings (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

Darkmood wrote:
douglasb wrote:When someone uses the word 'definitely'...

I follow stunt woman/actress Tammie Baird on Twitter, who's on the cast list and went to the premiere. Was scrolling her follow list, and the only TP actor I noticed she follows is Madchen.
I only ask as I wondered if that scene was manipulated at all to cover the use of a double. It's potentially the only 'action' scene the actress might have been uncomfortable doing. (Unless by stunt person we mean - naked - body double).
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Gabriel wrote:Well, if Bob can create Dougie, maybe he can create other 'people' as well.
I think there might be something to this, and it's not just COOPER'S "human nature" line that leads me down this road. There's the hole in Phylis's head after she's shot. We only get a side view, but to me it looks very similar to the hole in Ruth's head. Both holes seem...off. Manufactured, might one say?

Compare both of these victims to poor Darya.

I think we may have witnessed COOPER murder only one human being is what I'm saying.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

derekfnord wrote:
WalrusSAS wrote:Bad Dale states that she follows "human nature perfectly." Is he being dismissive of her humanity, or implying that she is inhabited by a lodge spirit?

Neither. "Following human nature perfectly" means that she acted just as he expected she would act. Ie: she was entirely predictable... and now she can die, killed using her lover George's firearm.

This seems to refer to the fact that she's confronted and backstabbed her husband. No idea why Mr. C. would care, but he's deeply invested with these people... He wants badly a set of coordinates that now he has to obtain through Hastings' secretary. Why not from Hastings himself? Mystery. He probably has killed the librarian Ruth, Hastings' lover. He may have possessed Hastings to do the need. Now Hastings is in prison, his wife turned against him and her lover is his unhelpful attorney. Mr. C. obviously has had prior dealings with Phyllis. Ray, who works for people trying to kill Cooper, tried to sell him the story that Hastings' secretary would give the information Cooper wants only to him. Before the meeting with Ray where he would give him that information, Cooper got Jack to wire the car of Hastings' secretary, then he killed Jack. He asked all his questions from Darya to see if she knew what he so badly want, then he showed her the drawing that may represent or symbolize the location in question, and once sure she knew nothing he killed her.

He wants something really, really badly from these people.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

krishnanspace wrote:It could also be done to hide the bad CGI blood
?? A blood spatter like that is a very basic VFX.

The effect done there is meant to be perceptible, but barely. We were supposed to notice something strange happened, but not what.

As for "bad VFX", people mix up "bad VFX" with VFX done following David Lynch's instructions. He has a style, even with effects. He likes them grotesque and bold and old fashioned. At times, he uses CGI to imitate practical effects. He's not as obsessed as, say, someone like Michel Gondry, but he likes that style (but unlike Gondry he doesn't seem to have the patience anymore to do them on set). He probably gave a few headaches to VFX supervisors more used to people wanting the result as realistic as possible...

The company that worked on Twin Peaks with Lynch is hardly a bad one. Their main current project is shots for Blade Runner 2049 with Denis Villeneuve. They've worked on Legion, American Gods, Sleepy Hollow, Independence Day, Life of PI, Harry Potter, Thor etc. No idea if it's their Montréal or L.A. studio that worked on Twin Peaks, though.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Rami Airola wrote:Here's the gif I posted in the other thread.
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 445#p80445

TwinPeaks-MrsHastings.gif

In my opinion, there's no Bob or no other spirit leaving the body except perhaps her real and doppelganger spirits made as superimposing two images of the same scene together.
There's also some image warping effect used. And digital blood, I think.

EDIT:
I can now see how people might think they see Bob there though.
In a couple of frames it kinda looks like Bob's jacket is there, but I think it's just Mrs. Hastings as a transparent image where the background blended with Hasting's jacket makes it look like her jacket is blue'ish and makes it look like there is the denim texture.
But really, those images were taken with a digital camera by filming the television at night withouth much light around so the quality of the pictures is not good and that could also make things look like what they aren't.
It's also weird to think they'd only use Bob's jacket and not show any gray hair. Currently it looks like if there is the jacket, then Mrs. Hastings is wearing it. The person who would have that jacket on clearly has the head of Mrs. Hastings.
It's the same doubled effect Lynch used in MD when Watts and Harring run out of the house. And it's used again on the highway lines in E3.

Agree that it's her doppelganger.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

It's just a dramatic effect, and as usual, people read too much into it. I do think though, that the "followed human behavior" thing is interesting. It may indicate that the inhabiting spirits are aliens (perhaps from a creamed corn planet?).
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!