References in the Return to Lynch's Non-TP Works (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: References in the Return to Lynch's Non-TP Works (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I haven't verified, but several users say ???????'s screening room in Part 8 is Club Silencio.
Correct. We heard back in spring 2016 that they filmed in the Tower Theatre.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

When Mr. C and Ray were driving up the side road, which then turned into a dirt road, I was hoping they were going to wind up at an old horse coral and meet "the Cowboy." :lol:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Giant/??????? floating horizontally in the air with a blank stare and "birthing" something from his head has obvious connections to a certain earlier DKL film.

This is a stretch, but the Woodsman saying "Gotta light?" over and over in a distorted voice made me think of several episodes of Dumbland with similar repetitions ("My teeth are bleeding!")
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

The shot of Coop shot and splayed on the ground, before he sits up, reminded me of Frank Booth after he was shot.

In Part 7, the exploded car detective asked the Lost Highway line "What do you mean by that?"
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Cheater_07

Post by Cheater_07 »

alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Dido's mannerisms/facial expressions/affectations reminded me of Eraserhead's Lady in the Radiator- both of which (deliberately, I'd imagine) reminiscent of 1920s cinema
soundchaser

Post by soundchaser »

Found this tonight in The Air is On Fire: definitely the frogroach. It's got the little beak and everything.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (791.74 KiB) Viewed 17788 times
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

soundchaser wrote:Found this tonight in The Air is On Fire: definitely the frogroach. It's got the little beak and everything.
Great catch! Based on placement/context in the book, it appears that sketch likely dates from the Grandmother period, correct?
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

The Woodsman destroying the woman's head to the tune of the '50s song is the same technique he used when Jeffrey got the crap beat out of him to the tune of "In Dreams" - horrible things against the backdrop of an old-timey song.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Cheater_07

Post by Cheater_07 »

Look, I found another one!
Forget the woodcut from 2014... this goes back to 1985! :shock:

https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/Float ... ogle.nl%2F
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

Jerry Horne wrote:...
yup, the tree! I just rewatched Eraserhead and I found 7 or 8 details we see later in TP. The tree made me happy because frankly I had assumed Lynch's choice of the tree for the arm was mostly as a middle finger to MJA. But when I saw this I thought "oh shit he did this in Eraserhead"

frankly the stage looks like the red room in a number of ways (curtains, patterned floor)

I also noted Charlotte Stewart rubbing her eye in an extreme way, in a long take on it that made it obvious Lynch wanted us to see. That had me thinking of Nadine, and the women in s3 with her eye shot out

also the way henry spews the worm from his mouth at the beginning reminded me of the "woman" in S3 Ep 8
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The red sheets in Dougie & Janey-E's bed were yet another MD echo for Naomi Watts.

The Johnny teddy bear's face looks just like (a less angry version of) Randy from Dumbland.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

The red coffee cup coming out the window (& landing face up, right?) reminded me of INLAND EMPIRE's thrown-red-coffee-cup-landing-up shot.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Saturn's child wrote:The red coffee cup coming out the window (& landing face up, right?) reminded me of INLAND EMPIRE's thrown-red-coffee-cup-landing-up shot.
Just reminded me. The coffee cup Gordon had on the plane looked just like the "SOS" coffee cup at the end of Mullholland Drive. We didn't get to see more than the handle and one side, but it may have been that cup.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The references to a plethora of unseen characters' names in the Audrey/Charlie scene in Part 12, and again in the Roadhouse scene with Ana de la Reguera, are reminiscent of The Amputee.