Twin Peaks: The Missing Music (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: The Missing Music (SPOILERS)

Post by BOB1 »

Sidgwick wrote:I firmly believe the lack of music is a deliberate omission
I'm pretty sure it is. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Still, I definitely dislike the very idea of adding the old music to the new scenes. The tone of these two is so different that it just can't fit!

p.s.
Take Five was used in a great way! I mean, it's an evergreen and all but it doesn't mean it would fit wherever you added it. And here, it felt just right.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

BOB1 wrote:
Sidgwick wrote:I firmly believe the lack of music is a deliberate omission
I'm pretty sure it is. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Still, I definitely dislike the very idea of adding the old music to the new scenes. The tone of these two is so different that it just can't fit!

p.s.
Take Five was used in a great way! I mean, it's an evergreen and all but it doesn't mean it would fit wherever you added it. And here, it felt just right.
I am wondering at this point if we are going to get any new Badalamenti compositions at all. I am setting my expectations low on this point in order not to be disappointed.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I have a suspicion that, as Cooper gets back to the town, more music will bleed into the show. That said, I find the music quite jarring when it shows up at the moment.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I really hope you are right because the FWWM is unbelievably fantastic and I was hoping for something similar ly awesome.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

Beside the hums and the drones, there is in many scenes ambient/atmospheric synth-based music, with very abstract bits of melody. It's all very low-key, and it merges perfectly into the rest of the sound design. Angelo is already there.... but it's the Angelo who did soundscapes for Mulholland Drive or pieces like The Black Dog Runs At Night, not the Angelo of Twin Peaks.

Like others have said, music will return with Dale returning to Twin Peaks, and also in connection with Laura and the 1989 events and the ghostwoods mysteries, much as we've seen already in the Bobby sees Laura's portrait scene. Right now.. 'something is missing', and David also isn't using trademark Twin Peaks music outside Twin Peaks, thus David's choice to use Brubeck for a scene where a jazzy Angelo number would have been perfect.

I find the score and sound design extremely cool so far. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm hoping that David will use restraint when he brings the more melodic Badalamenti music back. As much as I love the music, it was really omnipresent in the original series, like wall to wall carpeting.
vawriter

Post by vawriter »

There's a great article on Vulture about this very topic, which argues that the music will return as we get more glimpses of Twin Peaks. Here's a link: http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/where-is ... almer.html
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

The lack of music in so many scenes was jarring in my first run through the first four parts, but on a re-watch it became less so. I actually think it would be a mistake to bring back too much of the original show's music, at least in its original form. It was a mistake to use the original theme unaltered in the credits because of how totally different this show is. The Laura theme used in the station fell completely flat, thanks also to Ashbrook's off-key acting and the poor framing.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Well part 5 had a lot more music, both diagetic and non-diagetic (autocorrect had fun with those words! 'Diabetic' music??!) so I'm hoping the music will keep coming back. Dark Mood Woods being the first track to appear implies a link with episode 29 after all.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

yes, the music is certainly back!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

The Dougie music (you know, the one that played for instance when he was standing outside the office) is nice though it's hardly the good old badalamenti quality. By the way, do you know who composed it?

But the hitman song, that's pretty crazy! Kind of reminds me of Real Indication. I liked how it was used (and stopped!) in the scene with ice-picking the photos but then when it accompanied the most bloody scene it was so... :shock:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks: The Missing Music (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

BOB1 wrote:The Dougie music (you know, the one that played for instance when he was standing outside the office) is nice though it's hardly the good old badalamenti quality. By the way, do you know who composed it?
It's Windswept from Johnny Jewel.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Thanks! I tried to look it up but I'm not sure - is it music made especially for the show or adapted (and if so, is it something we would have on the soundtrack once it is released)?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

BOB1 wrote:Thanks! I tried to look it up but I'm not sure - is it music made especially for the show or adapted (and if so, is it something we would have on the soundtrack once it is released)?
As I understand it, it was largely made with the show in mind, though all of it may not be used in the show. The song titles certainly suggest elements of TP. I imagine that some of it will be on the soundtrack.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The (Twin) ‘Peaks’ Are Alive With the Sound of Dean Hurley’s Music: A Chat With David Lynch’s Longtime MD
On “Part 6” of David Lynch’s “Twin Peaks: The Return,” the much heralded look at the surreal Pacific Northwest town 25 years after the mysterious murder of Laura Palmer, the character of Richard Horne — warning: spoilers ahead — recklessly runs over and kills a young child. That this heart-pounding moment was accompanied by the equally unsettling new music of legendary composer and Lynch regular Angelo Badalamenti was reason enough for “Twin Peaks” music director, sound supervisor, and re-recording mixer Dean Hurley to come out of hiding.

Hurley, a longtime collaborator of Lynch’s — maybe the most trusted — is the man responsible for co-writing and performing pieces of music for Showtime’s “Twin Peaks” – “SubDream” and “Snake Eyes” with the director and/or his son, Riley Lynch – and co-selecting new-school indie acts such as Chromatics, Sharon Van Etten, and Au Revoir Simone to play the local Bang Bang Bar at the end of each “part” (as well as appear on the Rhino label’s soundtrack). Along with being Lynch Studio’s go-to soundman, the multi-instrumentalist was the director’s partner on two of Lynch’s weirdly bluesy albums, 2011’s “Crazy Clown Time” and 2013’s “The Big Dream.” He spoke with Variety about soundtracking the iconic show.

When did you learn you would be working on a new “Twin Peaks,” or that it was Lynch’s next project?
That’s not how things work here. He never tells me what we’re working on, or say he’s making a track for an album for a film. He’ll just say, “I have an idea. Can we try an experiment?” With this — “Twin Peaks” — I just started to see more of [writer and creator] Mark Frost. One visit, then another, then a lot. … Then one day, they said they wanted to screen the last episode of the original series, and I was, like, “Uh oh.”

Because you were composing, playing or selecting the acts for its soundtrack, you had to be privy to the script, though?
Yeah, I was one of a very small batch of people who read the entire script before it was filmed, so I did know its trajectory, and where things could go. Some real needle drop cues were written into the script, like the Paris Sisters’ “I Love How You Love Me” when Amanda Seyfried is on screen. When you read the script, you could really hear what was going on.

How were the acts chosen for the soundtrack?
It’s a bunch of different things going on. From the get-go, David wanted bands to fill the bar, like Julee Cruise did at the roadhouse in the original. She was the house band. This time, Lynch wanted a bunch of different bands and to shoot them all in one day, and then find places for them within the show. The whole thing – remember – was one giant script shot as one long movie. That’s why he is calling these “parts” and not “episodes” — because they weren’t designed to have arcs between each bit like a normal television show. He was interested in the giant story and slicing the pie up.

What about the score music you guys composed?
Historically he has always done this: worked with Angelo next to him, playing piano or Fender Rhodes before, during, and after production. This time, they did so in a unique fashion through Skype and another ISDN-like program, where we linked Angelo’s New Jersey studio with our studio in Los Angeles. Broadcasting was done at high resolution so that David could work with Angelo in live time. They were seeing each other on Skype, talking back and forth, the same way they always worked, but now in a super-digital, futuristic way. Through this process, we built up a small library of new Angelo music, then we had a lot of the original Angelo music from the first series, then this archive of experiments David and I recorded over the years and stored. Eventually we wound up with all these paint colors so that, as you’re assembling a show, David could start reaching for things as he saw fit.

That scene during “Part 6” – the child being run over and killed – feels like a key example…
Yes. David described the scene in detail to Angelo via Skype and he started playing. As this was happening David was, like, “Now the car hits him,” and Angelo brings in a cluster of atonal synths and saxes. Then David told Angelo to bring in something beautiful and Angelo did – all in real-time. That cue existed verbatim. The score was laid in perfectly, even though they worked independently from each other.

Is there anything else as stark and unsettling as Angelo’s music for “Part 6” coming down the pike soon?
Oh, hell yes. There are so many surprises to follow.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

yaxomoxay wrote:I think it's going to come back with the town.
I believe that Lynch is making us starve before feeding us.
Gabriel wrote:I have a suspicion that, as Cooper gets back to the town, more music will bleed into the show.
Well, Cooper didn't get back. Music didn't come back. "The Missing Music" remains a valid subtitle for The Return :(
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB