The Ben & Jerry scene (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: The Ben & Jerry scene (SPOILERS)

Post by Jonah »

Did the office look incredibly small to anyone else? Was this set ever used before - in the pilot? I miss the steps in the old one, the gigantic fireplace, and the woodcutter mural in the outer hallway!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think the original pilot has a number of episodic slices not unlike that - Nadine, Ed and Norma being one. I didn't find it off, I thought it was just an interesting, languid peak into their world which we shall return to.

I do miss the old office, but I'm fine with Ben having downsized. I'm sure he's had some ups and downs in the last 25 years.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The scene is great but I kinda wish it wasn't edited so out of place. There's probably a New York connection but still it's a wonderful scene that is so randomly placed.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

BOB1 wrote:Also, makes me wonder: are these only going to be cameo appearances from the old Twin Peaks characters? That would be too bad, huh? I think they're going to come back... But so far I don't see a point of showing something when it doesn't matter whatsoever.
I've developed this fear too. I won't be surprised if it's the last we see of them. With Shelly and James, the only promo photos we saw of them were the Roadhouse scene. Who knows though, maybe it means nothing.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

ThumbsUp wrote:
BOB1 wrote:Also, makes me wonder: are these only going to be cameo appearances from the old Twin Peaks characters? That would be too bad, huh? I think they're going to come back... But so far I don't see a point of showing something when it doesn't matter whatsoever.
I've developed this fear too. I won't be surprised if it's the last we see of them. With Shelly and James, the only promo photos we saw of them were the Roadhouse scene. Who knows though, maybe it means nothing.
Well, actually no. We've seen Shelly in the RR diner outfit, along with Norma. And I do think something will happen with the James - Renee and Shelly - Red set up. I mean, having Balthazar Getty just sit at a bar and finger shoot Shelly without further ado would be weird, even for Lynch.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

OrsonWelles wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
Well, actually no. We've seen Shelly in the RR diner outfit, along with Norma. And I do think something will happen with the James - Renee and Shelly - Red set up. I mean, having Balthazar Getty just sit at a bar and finger shoot Shelly without further ado would be weird, even for Lynch.
I remember a quote from James Marshall from EW where he said he had a sizable role, not necessarily in length, but in importance. What we've seen so far was not important. We will definitely see some more of James!
derekfnord

Post by derekfnord »

Plus, we should all keep in mind that we've only seen 4 episodes, with 14 still to come, and the 4 we've seen are likely the 4 with the least connection to Twin Peaks, because they were the ones when Cooper was the most connected to the Black Lodge and the people who know Cooper were the most in the dark about what happened to him.

As Cooper gets closer, as Cole and Albert figure out more, as folks in Twin Peaks get more involved, etc., the episodes will almost certainly continue to evolve. I think it's way, way too early to be making any assumptions about how big or small particular characters' roles are likely to be...
Flávia

Post by Flávia »

kitty666cats wrote:
OrsonWelles wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
I remember a quote from James Marshall from EW where he said he had a sizable role, not necessarily in length, but in importance. What we've seen so far was not important. We will definitely see some more of James!
If the easter eggs of TSHTP are contextualized in the new season, we will see the murder of James.
Attachments
154751.jpg
154751.jpg (143.95 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Oh no, James' going to be killed by the disembodied green hand of dog's bollocks
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

ThumbsUp wrote:
I've developed this fear too. I won't be surprised if it's the last we see of them(...)
In some podcast last year, David Patrick Kelly was talking about a scene they were shooting in the woods. I can't find it now, but found another one done recently (May 17) were he probably tells more than he should've. No main spoilers, but still I don't think DKL would approve. Listen yourself (from 16 mins to 18 mins): https://www.acast.com/supernerds/ep-53- ... rick-kelly
What's for sure, we're gonna see more of Ben and Jerry.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Thanks for all of that! I didn't really follow the neverending stream of news about the new Twin Peaks so I didn't know any of this. Now I feel better ;-)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

BOB1 wrote:That definitely is a problem. It's kind of discouraging in a way. Also, makes me wonder: are these only going to be cameo appearances from the old Twin Peaks characters? That would be too bad, huh? I think they're going to come back... But so far I don't see a point of showing something when it doesn't matter whatsoever.
It makes me realise what kind of an incoherent mess FWWM could have been, had the Missing Pieces been reintegrated.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

Gabriel wrote:
BOB1 wrote:That definitely is a problem. It's kind of discouraging in a way. Also, makes me wonder: are these only going to be cameo appearances from the old Twin Peaks characters? That would be too bad, huh? I think they're going to come back... But so far I don't see a point of showing something when it doesn't matter whatsoever.
It makes me realise what kind of an incoherent mess FWWM could have been, had the Missing Pieces been reintegrated.
I watched the edit that reintegrated the missing pieces in FWWM and it works, because the small cameos with our beloved TP citizens are used as an introduction to every different day leading to Laura's death, so they are kind of "detached" from the main narrative. That said, that would have only worked for fans of the TV series, and surely not for first timers.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Gabriel wrote:The problem is that the scene turned up in part one and hasn't been followed up on since. Same goes for James and Shelly's scene.
My original theory was that there would be no Twin Peaks at all in the first four episodes as it would all be centered on BadCoop's shenanigans all over the country, and good Coop's exiting of the Black Lodge.

I'm so glad I was wrong! Although we've only been given little snippets of what the old characters are up to today, and those snippets seem really disconnected to everything else, I'd much rather have these scenes than have to wait until the main story settles back into Twin Peaks (which I believe it eventually will). It's Lynch sprinkling us with little bits of gratification after a 26 year wait. Imagine how excruciating it would be if my original theory was true....
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Aerozhul wrote:
Gabriel wrote:The problem is that the scene turned up in part one and hasn't been followed up on since. Same goes for James and Shelly's scene.
My original theory was that there would be no Twin Peaks at all in the first four episodes as it would all be centered on BadCoop's shenanigans all over the country, and good Coop's exiting of the Black Lodge.

I'm so glad I was wrong! Although we've only been given little snippets of what the old characters are up to today, and those snippets seem really disconnected to everything else, I'd much rather have these scenes than have to wait until the main story settles back into Twin Peaks (which I believe it eventually will). It's Lynch sprinkling us with little bits of gratification after a 26 year wait. Imagine how excruciating it would be if my original theory was true....
It would have been better had he done it your way. What we've ended up with is a charity telethon sketch show. I've waited 26 years: I can handle four weeks.