The Ben & Jerry scene (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Re: The Ben & Jerry scene (SPOILERS)

Post by Aerozhul »

Gabriel wrote:
Aerozhul wrote:
Gabriel wrote:The problem is that the scene turned up in part one and hasn't been followed up on since. Same goes for James and Shelly's scene.
My original theory was that there would be no Twin Peaks at all in the first four episodes as it would all be centered on BadCoop's shenanigans all over the country, and good Coop's exiting of the Black Lodge.

I'm so glad I was wrong! Although we've only been given little snippets of what the old characters are up to today, and those snippets seem really disconnected to everything else, I'd much rather have these scenes than have to wait until the main story settles back into Twin Peaks (which I believe it eventually will). It's Lynch sprinkling us with little bits of gratification after a 26 year wait. Imagine how excruciating it would be if my original theory was true....
It would have been better had he done it your way. What we've ended up with is a charity telethon sketch show. I've waited 26 years: I can handle four weeks.
Ironically, I'm finding the wait between Episode 3/4 and 5 to be quite a bit more unbearable than the wait for the actual series.....I should have watched 3/4 as they aired instead of the bingeing them all the first night....
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

Aerozhul wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Aerozhul wrote:
My original theory was that there would be no Twin Peaks at all in the first four episodes as it would all be centered on BadCoop's shenanigans all over the country, and good Coop's exiting of the Black Lodge.

I'm so glad I was wrong! Although we've only been given little snippets of what the old characters are up to today, and those snippets seem really disconnected to everything else, I'd much rather have these scenes than have to wait until the main story settles back into Twin Peaks (which I believe it eventually will). It's Lynch sprinkling us with little bits of gratification after a 26 year wait. Imagine how excruciating it would be if my original theory was true....
It would have been better had he done it your way. What we've ended up with is a charity telethon sketch show. I've waited 26 years: I can handle four weeks.
Ironically, I'm finding the wait between Episode 3/4 and 5 to be quite a bit more unbearable than the wait for the actual series.....I should have watched 3/4 as they aired instead of the bingeing them all the first night....
I'm glad I watched 3 and 4 right after 1 and 2 because of the mileage I've gotten out of 3 and 4. I mean we're all greeting each other with helloooOOOOooo in my group of friends. I'm glad I've had an extra week of my life with that in it.

I do agree that the wait has been BRUTAL! The knowledge that I know what I've just seen, but cannot continue... but it EXISTS is making time go so slowly.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I think the Ben & Jerry scene, as well as the rest of the scenes in Twin Peaks, are perfectly placed. I don't need to see these characters again until it's time to see them again, but their presence lets me know that the town exists, and not in a fan-service kind of way. It's an early moment in a sprawling narrative, setting the scene for later occurrences, reestablishing the world of Twin Peaks, a town which has been seen more and more in each episode; its increasing presence is clear to me and a signal of the trajectory of the show. I think saving all these scenes for later (for when we see more of Twin Peaks, potentially) wouldn't make as much sense as sprinkling them throughout. Not in Lynch/Frost's very precise - yet also seemingly fragmented - way of telling this story across such a large canvas. The way I see it, we're still 20 minutes into a 2 hour movie; there's not necessarily a reason for these characters to have already made a second appearance, and we'll find out later how their first appearance impacts the story.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:I think the Ben & Jerry scene, as well as the rest of the scenes in Twin Peaks, are perfectly placed. I don't need to see these characters again until it's time to see them again, but their presence lets me know that the town exists, and not in a fan-service kind of way. It's an early moment in a sprawling narrative, setting the scene for later occurrences, reestablishing the world of Twin Peaks, a town which has been seen more and more in each episode; its increasing presence is clear to me and a signal of the trajectory of the show. I think saving all these scenes for later (for when we see more of Twin Peaks, potentially) wouldn't make as much sense as sprinkling them throughout. Not in Lynch/Frost's very precise - yet also seemingly fragmented - way of telling this story across such a large canvas. The way I see it, we're still 20 minutes into a 2 hour movie; there's not necessarily a reason for these characters to have already made a second appearance, and we'll find out later how their first appearance impacts the story.
i think the key to the scene is Beverly- is she a spy of some sort- and perhaps the guest complaining about the skunks, Mrs. Houseman. I think Jerry's marijuana business is just an amusing aside.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

The Marquis wrote:I mean we're all greeting each other with helloooOOOOooo in my group of friends.
That's nice! Gotta try it out :-)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The Marquis wrote: I do agree that the wait has been BRUTAL! The knowledge that I know what I've just seen, but cannot continue... but it EXISTS is making time go so slowly.
Yes, I think the peculiar scheduling might have seemed fun at the time, but I think they'd have been better off putting out the first four parts across a couple of nights, then running the schedule as normal from the following weekend. Four parts, followed by a two week break, allows irritation to fester. I have issues with what I've seen so far and can seem overly negative, but I'm loving a lot of it too. Inevitably, the negatives stand out more and will get discussed more as a result.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Gabriel wrote:
The Marquis wrote: I do agree that the wait has been BRUTAL! The knowledge that I know what I've just seen, but cannot continue... but it EXISTS is making time go so slowly.
Yes, I think the peculiar scheduling might have seemed fun at the time, but I think they'd have been better off putting out the first four parts across a couple of nights, then running the schedule as normal from the following weekend. Four parts, followed by a two week break, allows irritation to fester. I have issues with what I've seen so far and can seem overly negative, but I'm loving a lot of it too. Inevitably, the negatives stand out more and will get discussed more as a result.
But many (most?) people's reaction seems to have been that Parts 3 & 4 were a turning point, removing a lot of the doubts. Personally, I wasn't all-in until until Part 3, which for me was the most consistently strong of the three hours (and confirmed that Part 2's focus on Coop would be a regular thing, after he barely appeared in Part 1 -- a brazen and cool choice, but I was a bit worried that there wasn't going to be a main character at all!). For me, Part 4 was a bit of a buzzkill, as I found it the most uneven of the four (despite a few great scenes), but most people seem to put it on par with Part 3. And I think I prefer Part 4 as the slightly disappointing ending to an overall great night of television, as opposed to having it as an underwhelming stand-alone episode.

I think there was a very deliberate method to releasing those four together to prime people for a more accurate idea of what this show is going to look like. If Parts 1 & 2 had been aired solo, I think there would have been way more griping/unease.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
But many (most?) people's reaction seems to have been that Parts 3 & 4 were a turning point, removing a lot of the doubts. Personally, I wasn't all-in until until Part 3, which for me was the most consistently strong of the three hours (and confirmed that Part 2's focus on Coop would be a regular thing, after he barely appeared in Part 1 -- a brazen and cool choice, but I was a bit worried that there wasn't going to be a main character at all!). For me, Part 4 was a bit of a buzzkill, as I found it the most uneven of the four (despite a few great scenes), but most people seem to put it on par with Part 3. And I think I prefer Part 4 as the slightly disappointing ending to an overall great night of television, as opposed to having it as an underwhelming stand-alone episode.

I think there was a very deliberate method to releasing those four together to prime people for a more accurate idea of what this show is going to look like. If Parts 1 & 2 had been aired solo, I think there would have been way more griping/unease.
But that's my point: there shouldn't have been a break. Parts 1 and 2 should have gone out on the Sunday, 3 and 4 put online immediately after, then screened that Monday, then part 5 last Sunday and part 6 tomorrow. The gap is too big and loses momentum at a key time.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Water over the dam. I'm going crazy like all of you. 37 hours and 23 minutes. Please, time speed up.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Gabriel wrote:But that's my point: there shouldn't have been a break. Parts 1 and 2 should have gone out on the Sunday, 3 and 4 put online immediately after, then screened that Monday, then part 5 last Sunday and part 6 tomorrow. The gap is too big and loses momentum at a key time.
Ah! Sorry, I misread. I agree with you, that probably would have been a better strategy.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Jerry refeering to Beverly as the new girl seems to be a reference to One Eyed Jack's 25 years ago: "Let's have a look at the new girl"
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

chalfont wrote:Jerry refeering to Beverly as the new girl seems to be a reference to One Eyed Jack's 25 years ago: "Let's have a look at the new girl"
As well as of course being the title of a hit Fox series starring the daughter of original series director Caleb Deschanel and...Eileen Hayward actress Mary Jo Deschanel! Clearly a clue to Beverly being Eileen's daughter, the erstwhile Donna Hayward, returned to Twin Peaks after a long absence with the goal of taking down the Horne organization from within due to her internal conflict and guilt at having Ben's blood flowing through her veins!

(Sorry. I need it to be Sunday night.)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Gabriel wrote:But that's my point: there shouldn't have been a break. Parts 1 and 2 should have gone out on the Sunday, 3 and 4 put online immediately after, then screened that Monday, then part 5 last Sunday and part 6 tomorrow. The gap is too big and loses momentum at a key time.
Ah! Sorry, I misread. I agree with you, that probably would have been a better strategy.
After repeated watches, I actually think Part 1 and 2 exceeds parts 3 and 4 in quality, with the caveat that the opening of Part 3 is the strongest part of the movie/series so far IMHO. The New York, South Dakota, DoppelCoop and Black Lodge scenes in Parts 1 and 2 just get better and better the more I watch them.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Gabriel wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Gabriel wrote: Yes, I think the peculiar scheduling might have seemed fun at the time, but I think they'd have been better off putting out the first four parts across a couple of nights, then running the schedule as normal from the following weekend. Four parts, followed by a two week break, allows irritation to fester. I have issues with what I've seen so far and can seem overly negative, but I'm loving a lot of it too. Inevitably, the negatives stand out more and will get discussed more as a result.

But that's my point: there shouldn't have been a break. Parts 1 and 2 should have gone out on the Sunday, 3 and 4 put online immediately after, then screened that Monday, then part 5 last Sunday and part 6 tomorrow. The gap is too big and loses momentum at a key time.
Weirdly for me the first week was really tough, but this last week has flown by. Very ready for a new one though!

(Can't remember if I've said yet, but I like the b&j scene)
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I thought it was a bit stiff and lacked energy, mainly due to it being in suffocating silence. Beymer staying seated at the desk when he was constantly shifting and walking around in the original series didn't help.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!