Crazy Credits (Possible spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Crazy Credits (Possible spoilers)

Post by MoondogJR »

And now for something completely different...
I’m a crazy credits kinda guy, thought maybe someone would also be interested in this. After part 4:

- out of the 217 people on the cast list we already saw 85 actors (of which 6 performed in bands at the Road House)

- that means we still have to see 132 ‘new’ characters in season 3 (during a quick scan of the cast list I spotted at least 10 artists that will presumably perform in the roadhouse)

- only the artists that actually sing are on the cast list

- 21 actors have so far appeared in 2 or more parts. Only 7 actors have appeared in 3 or more parts. Kyle Maclachlan, Sheryl Lee & Michael Horse are the only actors that have appeared in all 4 parts so far.

- 15 actors on the cast list with an asterisk that we saw in the previous 2 seasons or in FWWM have not appeared yet: Scott Coffey, Julee Cruise (probably as performer in the Road House), Jan D’Arcy, Sherilyn Fenn, Warren Frost, Andrea Hays, Gary Hershberger, Peggy Lipton, Bellina Martin Logan, Everet McGill, Wendy Robie, Carlton Lee Russell, Harry Dean Stanton, Charlotte Stewart & Alicia Witt

- we already saw 4 actors in speaking rolls that were not on the cast list: Kathleen Deming, Steve Baker, Redford Westwood & Don S. Davis (archive footage). Frank Silva (archive footage) & Erica Eynon were also credited but didn’t have speaking rolls
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Re: Crazy Credits (Possible spoilers)

Post by Dom834 »

Great list! Do you remember the number of speaking parts quoted by the costume designer? Were we missing 13, 15 parts maybe? For the costume designer, Dougie, Evil Coop and Coop are three characters. So 7 so far would be accounted for.

Some "key" non-speaking parts may also be included. The bottom line is that the genuine background extras (roadhouse folks etc.) are handled by someone else or at least by another team on set. A "character" like the guy in the wheel chair at Buela's lodge could be treated as an actor rather than an extra by wardrobe. Or not. It depends how specific Lynch was about the people in that scene.

Some of the omissions might be errors, people whoever made the list (Johanna Ray's office, most likely) have missed. My hunch is that Lynch may also be responsible for some of the "missing" parts on the list of 217. By reputation (and we have testimonies that this has happened on this production), he likes to follow his instinct on set and if, for e.g. he likes an extra's look and is inspired he won't shy from turning that extra into a character, writing lines on the spot. I could well imagine this is what could have happened to someone like Buela, not played by a professional and obviously hired for her look. People like that could easily have fallen through the cracks when the list was made.

My hunch is that Frost probably told the truth (as he knew it) when he was asked directly if they had withheld some names from the cast list on purpose to preserve surprises and instead of giving one of his "no comment" answers he said "No, that's all folks.".
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

When did Frost say that? Because if he did, that shuts the door on Chris Isaak, Heather Graham etc.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I don't remember him saying that as well.

My thoughts: I think there will be actors on the list of 217 that we won't see due of the editing process.
And maybe more importantly, I think we will see more characters that are not on the cast list, because now there already are 6 and we've only seen 4 parts.

I find it a bit odd that both Kathleen Deming AND Redford Westwood weren't on the cast list. They were no surprise guests and they were both in the same scene. A mistake maybe by the person who compiled the list. Or, picking in on what Dom is saying, maybe these two actors were filmed after the list was announced and improvised by Lynch. Although I don't remember if that's possible. Did filming wrap before or after the list was released?
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

"Was that 200+ person cast list "everyone" that will appear in Season 3....or everyone we're allowed to know about for now? ;)"

[–]MarkFrostTwinPeaks[S] :
That's all, folks!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Dom834 wrote:
"Was that 200+ person cast list "everyone" that will appear in Season 3....or everyone we're allowed to know about for now? ;)"

[–]MarkFrostTwinPeaks[S] :
That's all, folks!
Fair enough. So unless Frost intentionally deceived or Lynch put in a cameo without Frost's knowledge, we should not expect any surprise cameos.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

MoondogJR wrote:A mistake maybe by the person who compiled the list. Or, picking in on what Dom is saying, maybe these two actors were filmed after the list was announced and improvised by Lynch. Although I don't remember if that's possible. Did filming wrap before or after the list was released?

Filming was over when they published the cast list. Editing was under way, so there's no way they knew for sure if all parts would or wouldn't be used, and indeed some may have been cut. David the other day said there had been no pick ups or additional filming whatsoever after principal photography, so no actor should have been added later through that process, though.

Thus mistakes most likely - I'm sure Johanna Ray's department did (or helped do) the job seriously, and most likely by going through the contracts (and thus perhaps missing the fact that David had decided on the set to give lines to extras that eventually would have to be given an actor's credit and pay, and missing people who appear in scenes Mark and David wrote on the fly during filming). It's doubtful they were as thorough about this early cast list as production would be at the end of the process, to make sure everyone who needs a credit will have it. By the end of postproduction, you expect all the paperwork is done and everything is relatively in order. Right after filming, it's.... hmm.. a bit messier, with many different departments still holding information the others don't have.

My hunch is the same as when the list was originally released: one of the main goals of that list was to give the passionate and at time excessive fanbase plenty of time to get out of their system the pain of losing characters who were not returning, and a second goal was to let us have fun will all the new names. They didn't want the attention to be on the missing actors, once the series went on the air.

It think the media attention and even prestige that having the last acting apparition filmed by David Bowie would have brought to the series makes it very unlikely they would have chosen to keep an appearance from him secret. It's not like we didn't more or less expect Jeffries could return.

The one cameo I might see happen could be Michael Ontkean, but I doubt he will be present on screen as I feel they would have put him on the list if he did. His voice over the phone, maybe. I think this might be why they didn't make Harry's absence permanent. The way it plays out so far makes me think they got the news Ontkean couldn't return in any large capacity early on, and that lead to the creation of Franklin and an increased role for Hawk, but there may still be a plot point down the line that requires Harry.. for someone to contact Harry. Having Harry on leave also let them keep Harry's imprint on the station alive instead of changing it completely, in Frank's image. They chose to have both... Harry's team in front, and the new stuff and people in the back.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

mtwentz wrote:Fair enough. So unless Frost intentionally deceived or Lynch put in a cameo without Frost's knowledge, we should not expect any surprise cameos.
However, we've already seen at least one uncredited appearance (Buella, right?)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Saturn's child wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Fair enough. So unless Frost intentionally deceived or Lynch put in a cameo without Frost's knowledge, we should not expect any surprise cameos.
Yes, but the earlier point is that this was probably just a mistake, rather than an intentional omission.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

mtwentz wrote:Yes, but the earlier point is that this was probably just a mistake, rather than an intentional omission.
Fair enough.
*sits back down*
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Just wondering if we know if he's done editing the whole thing or if he's still finishing up the last few parts?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hockey Mask wrote:Just wondering if we know if he's done editing the whole thing or if he's still finishing up the last few parts?
He's done. He said in the EW interview last week that he wouldn't have released any of it unless the whole thing was locked, in case he had a new idea that caused him to have to go back and change something.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

He really didn't handle this like a TV show. LIke.. not at all.

It's like they've spotted all the pitfalls and weaknesses in the way TV is made in the US (and many other places, but not all) and managed to find a workaround for each of them.

Funnily, Lynch sees the new series more like an 18-hour movie than your usual kind of TV show, while Frost prefers to compare it to a novel rather than a regular TV series.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Saturn's child wrote:
There is also the guy who plays the charred/oily jail cell guy - Stewart Strauss, who also doesn't appear on the cast list or credits.

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm3792788/?ref_=nv_sr_1
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

MoondogJR wrote: - 15 actors on the cast list with an asterisk that we saw in the previous 2 seasons or in FWWM have not appeared yet: Scott Coffey, Julee Cruise (probably as performer in the Road House), Jan D’Arcy, Sherilyn Fenn, Warren Frost, Andrea Hays, Gary Hershberger, Peggy Lipton, Bellina Martin Logan, Everet McGill, Wendy Robie, Carlton Lee Russell, Harry Dean Stanton, Charlotte Stewart & Alicia Witt
Sharp eye! Only Scott Coffey hasn't been a part of the TP universe before... That was an error in the imdb prior cast asterisk'd cast list
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03