Annie Speculation (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Annie Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Cappy »

So, how many people think Annie Blackburn was a 'manufactured product' of BOB or the Lodge, a la Dougie Jones?

I have always gone back and forth on the concept of Annie somehow being created by the Lodge to lure Cooper in, but her omission from Secret History (not to mention the re-writes of Norma's life) combined with the example of Dougie Jones creation by BOB/DoppelCoop has really forced me to reconsider this notion.

There are several facets of Annie's character that are instantly alarming. First and foremost, her entrance into the narrative of Twin Peaks. She appears and instantly is interjected into a job at the social and economic hub of Twin Peaks in the Double R, and she enters into a romance with main character Dale Cooper just as fast. Now we all know on tv shows that this happens, characters are created to serve a purpose, to move the narrative in a specific direction and to give other characters situations to react to. Rarely do tv characters bring attention to this fact like Annie does however.

Annie's entrance is prefaced with a throwaway line of dialogue, which in hindsight, is suggestive of the idea that she has otherworldly origins. When Norma informs Shelly that her sister Annie is coming to Twin Peaks, she provides us with no background for Annie, aside from the fact that she has been living in seclusion in a convent. Never before has Norma made reference to her sister, not even to her mother, who recently visited a few episodes prior. Norma summarizes Annie as seeming like was from another time and another place altogether.

Over the course of the next several episodes, Annie begins a relationship with Dale Cooper. Everything about her personality is tailor made to appeal to Cooper's personality. The optimistic and quirky world view, a mysterious dark past. And after barely a week of living in Twin Peaks, she somehow wins the Miss Twin Peaks pageant.

We all know how Annie's story ends (as of June 1st, 2017 anyway), so I will stop rehashing plot points that everyone is familiar with. But it just seems to me that if Dougie Jones can be created by BOB/DoppelCoop for the purpose of re-routing Cooper's soul and keeping DoppelCoop from the Black Lodge, then Annie Blackburn could be just as easily manufactured to lure Dale Cooper in in the first place.

Also of note is the fact that both Dougie and Annie were last seen wearing the fabled FWWM ring. Was Annie sucked back into the Lodge like Dougie, or did this fate fall to the nurse that stole her ring in the Missing Pieces? Do people remember these Lodge created individuals after they are gone, or are they immediately forgotten once they leave our world? I'm guessing that the next episode (Part 5) will take us to the Double R and hopefully give us a glimpse of Norma. Maybe she will divulge a few more clues to Annie's... whatever Annie is or was.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Re: Annie Speculation

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Anything's possible, but here's a reason why I think Annie is just Annie, not dopple Annie.

In FWWM, she delivers important information about Coop being trapped in the lodge to Laura, asking her to write it down in her diary.

Why would a manufactured Annie do this? It doesn't add up.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

So if Annie was manufactured, they also manufactured a fake Norma who believed Annie to be her sister? Or they planted false memories in Norma?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:So if Annie was manufactured, they also manufactured a fake Norma who believed Annie to be her sister? Or they planted false memories in Norma?
Or Maybe the real Annie committed suicide at the catholic school and the Annie we see is the manufactured one
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Lana was also very keen to win that Miss Twin Peaks contest and cheat in whatever way possible. Was it just vanity or was there more to it, such as getting herself taken into the Lodge by Earle?
Normonaut
Roadhouse Member

Post by Normonaut »

Spoilers from episode 4:

This is a stretch, but we've gotta talk about SOMETHING while waiting for episode 5, right?
So the woman Cole and Albert talk about in the end, could it be Annie?

1. It would make sense, since she knew Cooper intimately. Cole could have listened to Coop's tapes after he disappeared, and found out all about Annie.
2. Albert says he knows where she drinks, we then cut to the Bang Bang Bar. Could Annie have hit the bottle shortly after S2 and gone down hill from there? Is she a regular?

I know other candidates are more likely, just throwing this out there to see what sticks.
Agent Cooper. Listen to the sounds.
It is in our house now. It all can not be said aloud now.
Remember 4 - 3 - 0
Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone.
You are far away.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

mtwentz wrote:So if Annie was manufactured, they also manufactured a fake Norma who believed Annie to be her sister? Or they planted false memories in Norma?
I'm sort of basing this assumption on the fact that people seem to know Dougie Jones and have knowledge of him, much in the same way Norma 'knows' or 'remembers' her sister. I think that the fake memories come with the fake person.

A big hole in this is we don't know how long Dougie Jones was in existence for. Did he only exist for as long as we saw him on the screen? Or did he have some sort of life before that?

Annie, if she was manufactured, most likely came into being right before she walked into the RR for the first time.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Anything's possible, but here's a reason why I think Annie is just Annie, not dopple Annie.

In FWWM, she delivers important information about Coop being trapped in the lodge to Laura, asking her to write it down in her diary.

Why would a manufactured Annie do this? It doesn't add up.
That's a good point. The only guess I can attempt is that if Annie was created to lure Dale into the Lodge, then maybe her telling people that Dale is in the Lodge is another attempt to entice new people into entering the Lodge..?
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

I'm assuming Dougie has been around long enough that his relationships, and child, are all "real", as in not implanted memories or other "manufactured" beings. If Dougie had a sibling who remembered growing up with him, I would believe the implanted memory thing.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Gabriel wrote:Lana was also very keen to win that Miss Twin Peaks contest and cheat in whatever way possible. Was it just vanity or was there more to it, such as getting herself taken into the Lodge by Earle?
Somewhere there is a crazy Twin Peaks alternate timeline where Lana wins Miss Twin Peaks and Windom kidnaps her, only to be seduced by her charms. He immediately forgets the Black Lodge and they check into a room at the Great Northern. A week later, he is playing flute and bongo drums as part of Lana's one woman "beat-poetry-and-contortionistic-jazz-exotica" show at the Bang Bang Bar.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Cappy wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Lana was also very keen to win that Miss Twin Peaks contest and cheat in whatever way possible. Was it just vanity or was there more to it, such as getting herself taken into the Lodge by Earle?
Somewhere there is a crazy Twin Peaks alternate timeline where Lana wins Miss Twin Peaks and Windom kidnaps her, only to be seduced by her charms. He immediately forgets the Black Lodge and they check into a room at the Great Northern. A week later, he is playing flute and bongo drums as part of Lana's one woman "beat-poetry-and-contortionistic-jazz-exotica" show at the Bang Bang Bar.
Somewhere else, Lana gets into the Black Lodge, kills Bob, the Giant and TLMFAP and reveals herself to be an ancient siren demon that has been trying to get back into the lodge for centuries! ;)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Gabriel wrote: Somewhere else, Lana gets into the Black Lodge, kills Bob, the Giant and TLMFAP and reveals herself to be an ancient siren demon that has been trying to get back into the lodge for centuries! ;)
I always knew that the mayor's feud with his brother was building to something :D
Coopergänger

Re: Annie Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Coopergänger »

Remember Windom Earle's monologue regarding the powers of the Black Lodge?

"... a power so vast that its bearer might reorder the Earth, to his liking... "

What if the mere introduction of a Golem in the real world can reorder time around it? Like, maybe Annie never existed until the Black Lodge sent her. At that very moment, suddenly there was a back story and past memories in others lifes. Then she desappeared and again it was like she never existed.

Maybe same with Dougie and people around him?

Enviado desde mi E2105 mediante Tapatalk
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

There's Lost Highway as precedent for a well-planted fake existence, btw. I'm not too hot on the details, I've only watched that one twice, but there was some corollary material (script? deleted scene?) that made it even clearer that Pete's entire family only exists because he does.

Personally, I hope Annie was real, but as long as she gets agency I'm good. For example: she was made to guide Coop to the Lodge, but her FWWM message is her acting against that 'programming' out of her own free will.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Of course his opinion isn't terribly relevant now, but didn't Robert Engels say that Annie wasn't anything other than what she seems? I agree that something is up, especially because Mark repeated multiple times online and irl the retcon of Lana winning Ms Twin Peaks 1989. I have a feeling there's strong a possibility that we will get some closure on Annie without seeing Annie herself.