ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your overall reaction, based upon all parts released to date?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Like or Love
86%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
9%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
3%
Dislike or Hate
2%

Total votes: 198
BGAP

Re: ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Post by BGAP »

I'm considering 'like' in the sense of appreciate, value, and must watch vs. this show gives me enjoyment and pleasure. There have been a number of scenes and sequences in season 3 that I have greatly disliked, but I wouldn't have it any other way. There are countless TV shows designed to please and only please, and so watching something intentionally challenging, repugnant and even at time horrific has been incredibly worthwhile, at least for me. I would even compare it to great works of art. Think of Goya's "Saturn Eating His Son." A brilliant masterpiece but difficult to view.
I've had the same response as I did watching the first two seasons back in 1990-91, which is amazement that something like this could be produced and screened for a mass audience. Kudos to Showtime for having the courage to support this, when it may at best only pay off long term.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

Screenshot of poll covering parts 1-6:
poll_june_18.jpg
poll_june_18.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 10418 times
EDIT: Adding a text version as a backup:

Like or Love: 85% (121 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 10% (14 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 4% (5 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 1% (2 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 142
Last edited by Jasper on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Up to 87%!

The positive response from fans and critics alike has been amazing.

Only a vocal minority have serious problems with The Return. Like any outlier, a statistical norm (in other words, totally meaningless).
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Screenshot of poll moments before the release of part 8:
poll_parts_1-7.jpg
poll_parts_1-7.jpg (114.22 KiB) Viewed 10335 times
EDIT: Adding a text version as a backup:

Like or Love: 88% (133 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 8% (12 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 3% (5 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 1% (2 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 152
Last edited by Jasper on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Gabriel wrote:Still heavily mixed, towards enjoying. Put it this way: I've watched each part multiple times and am genuinely looking forward to part six. Overall, it's not the show I'd hoped for, which is profoundly disappointing, but it's enjoyable and intriguing in the context of what it is.
Do you still feel this way ( I'm presuming you've seen Episode-8) because for me that blew a hole through the essence of our very existence. That it technically aired on "Television " is utter madness. I fucking love it.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Even though I definitely enjoyed Part 8, I'm not going to say that it's wiping away all the other issues in the series. It was good, but not immaculate. I'm still in the heavily mixed/negative category. This was a vacation and a little history, but the problems with the show will likely return.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Jatriot wrote: Do you still feel this way ( I'm presuming you've seen Episode-8) because for me that blew a hole through the essence of our very existence. That it technically aired on "Television " is utter madness. I fucking love it.
I've got a severe stomach upset at the moment. I sat down to watch Twin Peaks tonight, must've fallen asleep and had the strangest dream.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Gabriel wrote:I've got a severe stomach upset at the moment. I sat down to watch Twin Peaks tonight, must've fallen asleep and had the strangest dream.
That sounds like a massive compliment to me. An A+ review!
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Jatriot wrote: ... for me that blew a hole through the essence of our very existence. That it technically aired on "Television " is utter madness. I fucking love it.
I'll join you in proclaiming myself a donut. 'Essence of my very existence = blown' as the cool kids might say. But when I think on it, why shouldn't television be pushed more like this? We get heavily derivative stuff that is pushed purely because 'it works' already, and so therefore the way that things are done for television very quickly becomes codified and eventually formulaic. It's not that Lynch is particularly brave or daring artistically, he just likes to more fully explore what can be done with the given medium. Showtime should take some credit here too for not beating the show into the same pigeon-hole as many others. Hopefully TP:The Return will spur other networks to develop less codifying and formula-bound relationships with other artists. Optimistically put, a small cultural renaissance in TV might just follow.
Gabriel wrote: I've got a severe stomach upset at the moment. I sat down to watch Twin Peaks tonight, must've fallen asleep and had the strangest dream.
Same. Last night I found myself climbing the staircase at the side of the convenience store, only to find myself sitting at a table with a young boy and his female guardian. Neither of them spoke, though they did make contorted fish-faces at me. On the roof of the building a thousand eggs bubbled like giant frogspawn. Some were hatching; polliwogs and tadpoles with human voices called out to one another. Then came that fateful dream moment, full of dread, when one of them turned its head and returned my gaze.

I find that vivid dreams always accompany prolonged exposure to Twin Peaks. Part of the delight I take in it.

(Still loving it).
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Well said. On Twitter I have been very vocal about Showtime's balls to the wall, let The Creator do his proverbial thing. I also feel that Lynch has the perfect combination of been there done that and unwavering force of vision to give something truly remarkable. A game changing series that bloody well should open the door for a new generation in which the very definition of a series is electric and endlessly creative. That's all from this hole with a Donut wrapped around it for now..
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

For the few who don't like it, I recommend Riverdale.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:For the few who don't like it, I recommend Riverdale.
Well, you also have to like the most obvious product placement that I've personally ever seen. I can't watch that show and I want to... it's just too much.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:For the few who don't like it, I recommend Riverdale.

Is that not the Netflix TP knock off starring the chapters from the Archie comics?
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

This is the best television I've ever seen. I absolutely love it. It's more than what I could have hoped for (so far). There MIGHT have been a sight dip in episodes 4 and 5. But gee golly gosh - 1-3 and 6-8 were majestic.

Is it just me or is anyone else finding themselves JUST wanting to watch TP? At the minute all other television seems dull and redundant.

I feel sorry for the people who aren't liking it. Twin Peaks isn't ours anymore - just like Bob it's been let loose into the world!

"This is the water, and this is the well." Better than anything that appeared in seasons 1 & 2 IMO

(I say all that as a fan since it originally aired through FWWM through Lynch's career through rewatches and constant listening to the soundtrack/Julee Criuse albums and the associated TP books).
dontlooknow

Post by dontlooknow »

the only problem of twin peaks is (and always has been) that it's not funny.
its attempts at humour rarely go well.

apart from that it is amazing TV in every aspect