Episode 5 Character Parentage Poll (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Richard Horne is the biological son of :

Audrey Horne
61%
Ben Horne
10%
Jerry Horne
22%
Johnny Horne
6%
Other or 'He's adopted'
2%

Total votes: 109
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Episode 5 Character Parentage Poll (Spoilers)

Post by mtwentz »

Time to take the pulse of the dugpa community again...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Episode 5 Character Parentage Poll (Spoilers )

Post by mtwentz »

And Audrey takes the early lead...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

I'm pretty torn on this, all ideas have some merit. Jerry because it would give him a bigger role in the narrative. Audrey because the idea of her having this child with Mr. C is chilling (this being John Justice Wheeler's child would be less interesting)

But ultimately I voted Ben because I like the idea that his chiding Jerry for lack of respect of women comes from a change in perspective from having sired this monster.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Shloogorgh wrote:I'm pretty torn on this, all ideas have some merit. Jerry because it would give him a bigger role in the narrative. Audrey because the idea of her having this child with Mr. C is chilling (this being John Justice Wheeler's child would be less interesting)

But ultimately I voted Ben because I like the idea that his chiding Jerry for lack of respect of women comes from a change in perspective from having sired this monster.
I really hope it's Ben or Jerry, but the whole "smoking in front of the No Smoking sign" clue is too hard to ignore. I voted Audrey.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Jerry is the only one incompetent enough to raise such a horrible monster. Ben and Sylvia managed to get Audrey, who underneath her badgirl exterior was a decent person. I don't see Audrey raising someone so out of control, I think she'd manage to keep her kids in line. I mean, she got her FATHER in line and manged to control both Bobby and Jerry in the meantime. (And before you bring up Maj Briggs and Bobby Briggs, I'd like to point out that every chance the show got they showed Bobby was mostly talk and very little action, and never threatened women.)

Jerry, however, has no authority, no high ground to stand on, and isn't likely to pick a partner who hasn't any either. Sure, it's possible that he's Audrey or Ben's but I think its a lot less likely than Jerry. If I'm wrong it'll be interesting, though.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I think Frost is in touch enough with representations of rape in our culture to know that having Audrey raped while in a coma is a non-starter. It's simply a disgusting idea, even if the character Bad Coop is capable of it. We already know he's a monster, so such an action is unnecessary.

The possibility of Bad Coop seducing Audrey, also distasteful, becomes more probable the longer he stuck around in Twin Peaks, so that when the supposed act happened Audrey was at least acting as a free agent. That is, at least she thought that she was engaging in a consensual act. This sort of thing would at least fit with the soap opera genre and gothic types of fiction.

But I'm hoping Ben or Jerry sired the monster because Lynch and Frost usually suggest that actions have consequences. What did Audrey ever do to deserve a monster? Nothing. We're not talking real life here, but poetic truth.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I've come around. I think it's Audrey's kid but...

::musters best Maury Povich voice::

Evil Coop is NOT the father!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

And by "the longer he stuck around in Twin Peaks" we mean "two days, three tops", right? I'm seeing this theory everywhere but even with the stretchiest of timelines (the sort that allows Wally to be born in April and *pick your TSHOTP inconsistency du jour* to happen) it's a frickin reach. He didn't see Wally's birth which is like one week after the finale. Chances are he skipped town right after the LPA incident that killed (or '''killed''', at any rate) Garland. Audrey was in a coma for a solid while. Both these situations - Doppel appearing and Audrey exploding - are directly tied to the day of the finale so I really don't think that even with TP's newfound cavalier approach to chronology it could feasibly happen.
I also reall really hope it's not the case, so these were my very biased €0.02 :roll:

Incidentally, we've only seen Doppel engage in (skeevy, adulterous but very much) consensual sex for now. Curious to see if the trend continues, what it means for BOB and for even the darkest parts of Cooper.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think/hope he is Audrey's because it's such a horrifying thought given that Audrey is one of the most beloved characters in the series, and it will send casual fans reeling. But no, I don't think Richard is the doppelganger's son. If that happened it'd IMO be a real stretch narratively that Audrey would go to bed with him (though it is doable).

And I can't see them saying (nor do I want them to imply) that he somehow raped and impregnated Audrey in the hospital. No.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

I think we sometimes fall into the trap of believing that everything timewise has to match up exactly. We have no way of knowing if L/F are holding themselves to such a standard. Creatively, they are likely more focused on creating a great story than aligning every subplot to the exact year/month/day/minute. Sure, they use that to great effect at times, but art isn't science; and I don't think we want/need it to be (sorry, I couldn't resist reference to "I want things, but I don't need anything." - paraphrased, I'm too lazy to look up the actual quote).
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

I voted Audrey, not because it's the most likely, but would be the most interesting. We should remember that Lynch hasn't read the Secret History and the extent of Audrey's explosion injuries as well as the coma could have been decided by Frost later. I think it would be interesting if Wheeler spawned such an evil dude.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Thing is - if he's Audrey's son, there has to be a reason he has the Horne last name instead of his father's - either she doesn't want people to know who the father is or he's adopted.

He does have the mole, though. :lol:
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Hester Prynne wrote:Thing is - if he's Audrey's son, there has to be a reason he has the Horne last name instead of his father's - either she doesn't want people to know who the father is or he's adopted.

He does have the mole, though. :lol:
Or the father is known, but has abandoned his offspring. It happens in our dark world.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Or she's a strong, independent woman who bucks the norms.

Imagine that.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Stay tuned.

And maybe Richard was just showing the girls the dangers of smoking and approaching strangers in bars.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?