POLL: Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

True
91%
False
2%
I'm not sure
2%
Who is Kyle MacLachlan?
3%
How did I get here? Hey, these aren't my clothes...
2%

Total votes: 133
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

POLL: Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

Post by Elad Repooc »

If there is anything we can all agree on with The Return, it's that Kyle MacLachlan is an excellent actor. Am I right, or am I righter than Mr Righty McRightface from Rightville, Arizona?
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

Post by dronerstone »

Someone said it before and I'll say it again: if S3 continues in the right way, Kyle will win a heap of awards for his performance.

I mean, 4 chracters????????

Evil Coop
"Real" Dougie Jones
"Vegetable" Dougie/Coop
And finally the real Agent Cooper.
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

Absolutely!

It's such a joy to watch him.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

He's incredible in every form.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Kyle isn't bad but we're not talking Orphan Black level of acting.
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

Never even heard of Orphan Black before.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

The final season begins tonight (I wouldn't begin there). The actress plays multiple roles. One of the best shows ever.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Kyle is a great actor who made some bad career choices (cough, Showgirls). This caused him to be relegated to support roles for most of his career post Twin Peaks.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Elad Repooc wrote:Never even heard of Orphan Black before.

It's about a woman who is part of a line of clones. It's true that the lead actress has a tougher job and is more impressive since she rises to it.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Although I like Orphan Black, I'm liking Kyle's portrayals more. Half of the Orphan Black conceit seems to be carried off by the make-up department (but Tatiana does do a damn fine job besides).

But yeah, I'm fully buying Kyle's performances on an emotional level, in some ways more than the original, so I'ma 'true' on this one.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

He's one of the underappreciated acting greats. It's a shame that his career immediately post-"Peaks" wasn't better, as he could have done more high-profile stuff than he did, if he even wanted to. He gets the most recognition for Cooper, but to me his best performance was in "Blue Velvet" (and it's the best performance of anybody in any Lynch project). As many times as I've watched that movie, he never fails to captivate me, and I find new nuances to his performance each time. You're with him all the way, and he sells every moment, every line of dialogue. As he's gotten older, his face has changed from the almost cherubic cast it had to a more angled, vaguely sinister look, which is why he has played more dark roles. His performance in "Desperate Housewives" was absolutely spectacular, and I rarely thought about any of his other performances when watching him. I've never watched "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", I but I read he was a stand-out. I keep meaning to rent "Hamlet".

As for this new (and very flawed) series, he obviously relished evil Cooper/Bob, and that's one of the highlights of the show. My favorite scene so far was him and Darya in the motel. Blank Cooper was fun, but the joke has worn thin (not his fault). One of the things that's felt missing is his Cooper personality, as he wasn't able to show any emotion in the Black Lodge scenes. Who knows how the character is going to shake out?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

Yes, it's a shame we haven't seen Cooper as his old self yet. But then again, we did already get 30 episodes of him, and now we've got Evil Cooper who is a real treat to watch.

I want to be like Evil Cooper. Minus all the killing and prison stuff, obviously. I just want to walk around with that kind of confidence and vibe, being in charge of people, like "Get me Ray and Daria" and "Go clean up that room I just made a mess in..."
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I voted for excellent actor. I suppose what I mean by that is versatile. Able to move in several quite distinct directions within a limited time -- must require quite some suppleness.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Showgirls is genius!!! There is a whole book devoted to defending it, and I'm definitely in the camp that sees it as a masterpiece. Paul Verhoeven does nothing by accident, and the outrageous camp of that film is exactly what was intended.

I've always seen him as a pisstaker par excellence of Hollywood conventions. Showgirls is to Footloose what Starship Troopers is to sci fi. The latter was a biting satire that painted the US as a fascist state with hardly any irony at all. The former is a biting satire that picks apart the traditional Hollywood success story. Everything that is "won" is tawdry and pathetic. Nobody is at all likeable, and the central performance is positively histrionic. I put it on the same page as Herzog's Stroszek, but with nipples playing the part of dour arty gloom.

I was in Paris last year where they had a Verhoeven season at a great little art cinema near the university. Watching Showgirls on the big screen with a bunch of arty French film buffs (mixed, no doubt, with a few perverts) was immense.

Anyway, Kyle is a great actor.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Hockey Mask wrote:Kyle isn't bad but we're not talking Orphan Black level of acting.
I honestly wasn't a big fan of TM in Orphan Black. Her dual roles seemed very gimmicky to me and too reliant on cosmetics. I think performance wise Kyle is killing it with the dual roles tho, hope he wins tons of awards.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday