POLL: Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

True
91%
False
2%
I'm not sure
2%
Who is Kyle MacLachlan?
3%
How did I get here? Hey, these aren't my clothes...
2%

Total votes: 133
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

Post by KyleRickards »

mtwentz wrote:Kyle is a great actor who made some bad career choices (cough, Showgirls). This caused him to be relegated to support roles for most of his career post Twin Peaks.
I can't remember him in showgirls at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: POLL: Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

Post by BMS242 »

Have to agree. In spite of some lingering misgivings I've had with the show, Kyle has completely sold everything he's been asked to do. Usually when an actor is covering a ton of ground it tends to make me think of them as an actor acting (rather than the character) and pull me out of the show/movie, but he's done a great job making me believe in the characters as I'm watching. (I still hate DoppleCoops hair though.)

One of the bigger expectation gaps I had to get over after Parts 1 and 2 is that I
initially expected a different and more subtle approach to DoppleCoop. Specifically, I expected Cooper to go back to FBI life and struggle with his dark side internally with some clandestine evil activity here and there over the years, while he is completely evil here. (I'm assuming the approach they took relates to the difference between Bob attaching to normal Leland vs. attaching to Coop's doppelganger.) However, once I got over that, I've enjoyed the total menace that he's supposed to represent and that Kyle is portraying. You legitimately worry for Cole and Albert's long-term safety during that interrogation scene.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

His range isn't the highest, but he's pretty good in stuff he does. Wouldn't call him an excellent actor though.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Bad Coop is impressive but what I enjoy the most are the small glimpses of understanding that Dougie-Coop produces. It's really good.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: POLL: Kyle MacLachlan is an Excellent Actor - TRUE or FALSE?

Post by IcedOver »

BMS242 wrote: One of the bigger expectation gaps I had to get over after Parts 1 and 2 is that I
initially expected a different and more subtle approach to DoppleCoop. Specifically, I expected Cooper to go back to FBI life and struggle with his dark side internally with some clandestine evil activity here and there over the years, while he is completely evil here.
We can assume that he took on the guise of "normal Coop" at least for a while, as he met with (and I guess killed) Briggs and was probably in the town for some time (and, if the rumor is correct, had some extracurricular activity with Audrey). It would be more interesting if he were in his original position and possessed, but it's clear that he has some long game going on, some connections and perhaps supernatural powers that extend beyond just a low-life criminal. I do expect him to escape and get scrubbed up and perhaps impersonate the "real" Coop, and perhaps that's him in the teasers.

It also feels like Lynch liked the absurd look of Cooper looking all sleazy with long hair.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

According to the timeframe we have from the show and the book the doppelganger evidently left town within 24-48 hours of exiting the Lodge. Never to be seen again.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Here Comes That Bob wrote:His range isn't the highest, but he's pretty good in stuff he does. Wouldn't call him an excellent actor though.
My opinion wasn't the highest of him for many years. But rewatching the old Twin Peaks his performance as Agent Cooper really has grown on me. So many subtle things going on in his performance there.

And then his turn in The Return. He is just marvelous. So engaging as Dougie Coop, yet so terrifying as Bad Coop. In my point of view Kyle deserves every big award for this role and we are not even half way through it. His range in The Return is just tremendous.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Calderon wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:His range isn't the highest, but he's pretty good in stuff he does. Wouldn't call him an excellent actor though.
My opinion wasn't the highest of him for many years. But rewatching the old Twin Peaks his performance as Agent Cooper really has grown on me. So many subtle things going on in his performance there.

And then his turn in The Return. He is just marvelous. So engaging as Dougie Coop, yet so terrifying as Bad Coop. In my point of view Kyle deserves every big award for this role and we are not even half way through it. His range in The Return is just tremendous.
Gotta agree with you here. Kyle has shown a great deal of versatility so far in this season.