Diane (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Re: Diane

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Jasper wrote:
BOB1 wrote:I'm thrilled. Also amazed at - HOW ON EARTH did the fans know Laura Dern was going to be Diane???? I mean, from the moment we knew Laura Dern was going to be casted, there was speculation that she might be Diane. I joined in, of course, it occurred to me as a splendid idea. And it really happened?! That's a WOW :D
Well before The Return was announced, people engaging in fantasizing about a continuation of Twin Peaks and/or some of the mysterious of Twin Peaks have been declaring that Dern would have been or should be Diane. So, that might be even a bigger "wow". I mean, she's got a very strong Lynch-related association with Kyle MacLachlan, and Kyle has even stated that he sees Jeffrey from Blue Velvet as being like a younger incarnation of Dale Cooper.
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Laura Dern was simply meant to be Diane if she were ever to be revealed. Always trust your gut feeling.
I'll invoke the spirit of the great (and wrongly maligned) Wally Brando in saying that Dern's dharma was to be Diane, and the dharma of Twin Peaks was to have Diane being played by Laura Dern.

We could say that it's obvious, but why is it obvious? It's obvious because in this instance the dharmic path is absolutely clear. We should not think that Dern should be overlooked for the role because she is the obvious choice. Sometimes the obvious choice is the correct choice.
Excellently put! :idea:
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Diane

Post by BOB1 »

Jasper wrote:We could say that it's obvious, but why is it obvious? It's obvious because in this instance the dharmic path is absolutely clear. We should not think that Dern should be overlooked for the role because she is the obvious choice. Sometimes the obvious choice is the correct choice.
:D
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Diane (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I love rewatching that scene from TMP and imagining Dern on the other side of the door. Her reaction to a smug Dale telling her she gets to make the coffee must have been priceless.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I love rewatching that scene from TMP and imagining Dern on the other side of the door. Her reaction to a smug Dale telling her she gets to make the coffee must have been priceless.
Fuck you, Dale.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

You have to excuse me cause I am abbreviation-immune (I mean not every kind of abbr. but the ones standing for titles especially - I hate LOTR as well as LH, MD or BV, and somehow the only one I am ok with is FWWM)... but what is TMP? :shock:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Diane (SPOILERS)

Post by Panapaok »

BOB1 wrote:You have to excuse me cause I am abbreviation-immune (I mean not every kind of abbr. but the ones standing for titles especially - I hate LOTR as well as LH, MD or BV, and somehow the only one I am ok with is FWWM)... but what is TMP? :shock:
The Missing Pieces.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Oh dear. Indeed. Wouldn't figure it out, I'm afraid. But now a new question:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I love rewatching that scene from TMP...
Which scene and why has it anything to do with Diane? Sorry if it's a stupid question - I watched Missing Pieces twice and loved it but I may not remember some details.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

BOB1 wrote:Oh dear. Indeed. Wouldn't figure it out, I'm afraid. But now a new question:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I love rewatching that scene from TMP...
Which scene and why has it anything to do with Diane? Sorry if it's a stupid question - I watched Missing Pieces twice and loved it but I may not remember some details.
Dale Cooper is standing in the doorway of Diane's office. We can't see or hear Diane. Cooper's talking to Her, and there's a type of game where Diane slightly moves the location of some object in the office before Coop arrives, then he has to guess what's been changed. Coop is also doing some kind of...door squats (leg exercises) in the doorway as this takes place. This scene appears to be set on the same day as the freaky materialization of Philip Jeffries.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

whoisalhedges wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I love rewatching that scene from TMP and imagining Dern on the other side of the door. Her reaction to a smug Dale telling her she gets to make the coffee must have been priceless.
Fuck you, Dale.
Lol
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Thanks for explaining! I didn't remember this scene at all so there's simply one thing - I need to rewatch Missing Pieces! :D

By the way, I really appreciate Diane's character in The Return. I wasn't so convinced at first (yeah, fuck you Tammy cool, but how many more times?). And now she's not doing much but her presence is very significant and clearly adds some tension to those FBI scenes, which are very good anyway.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hope it's OK etiquette to bump this dormant thread. I think there's a lot of analysis to be done in light of the finale, vis a vis Diane in the old show as Coop's unseen idea-receptacle, and in the new show as faceless/voiceless Naido and as Mr. C's tulpa-slave/rape victim (not to mention her estranged sister being Coop/Dougie's idealized tough-and-gorgeous bride). Diane seems to finally gain some degree of autonomy in the finale...and instantly disappears from the narrative. She's obviously incredibly important to whatever happens in the final two hours, although it's tough to articulate exactly how.

I don't have time at the moment to do all this justice. However, one quick thought which I haven't seen expressed before: for most of the season, Coop (in the form of Dougie) is essentially imprisoned in "tape recorder" mode, only able to repeat the words of others, just as Diane was once embodied onscreen by a tape recorder there only to memorialize Dale’s thoughts. (See also, Waldo the mynah, the drunk in the prison cell.) Does this play in to the Coop/Diane dynamic at all, and imply any kind of role reversal/comeuppance?
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hope it's OK etiquette to bump this dormant thread. I think there's a lot of analysis to be done in light of the finale, vis a vis Diane in the old show as Coop's unseen idea-receptacle, and in the new show as faceless/voiceless Naido and as Mr. C's tulpa-slave/rape victim (not to mention her estranged sister being Coop/Dougie's idealized tough-and-gorgeous bride).
Diane is also Linda. Alot going on there.

I find it curious that Janey-E is her sister, and what does that mean? Has Diane met Dougie Before? And aware of his resemblance to Coop? Is Janey-E a different side of Diane? Like Pete and Fred from Lost Highway. Maybe Janey-E is another one Mr. C's victims. Sisters? Hmm.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

As it's thrown out there and never mentioned again, it probably has no deeper significance.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

For me, it's important for Dougie. We have this confused, incomplete, possibly corrupted shard of Dale Cooper being thrown into the world... and he finds someone who instinctively reminds him of the most stable and positive human connection he's ever had in his life... and clings to her.

It's also just plain fun to imagine young Diane and Janey not getting along...

ETA I think the "we're estranged" bit signals that she's never seen Dougie, nipping that potential plot garble in the bud.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Some speculation.

What's the reason for Diane and Janey-E s falling out?
Diane was raped by Mr.C/Dale and Janey-E was happily married to Dougie
/Dale. Dale being the reason behind their estrangement. Undoubtedly if Diane's sister married the man who betrayed and hurt her so badly she would be livid.

The Return is Cooper's dream. He cannot undo Laura's fate. He cannot undo Diane's fate. He cannot undo anything. Something Laura may have whispered into Dale's ear: " The past dictates the future".