Diane (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Diane

Post by garethw »

Snailhead wrote:I'm into it! I was expecting a very perky, wholesome vibe - something like Betty from MD. That doesn't seem to be the case, and I'm thrilled.
Curiously, she's more like blonde-wig-in-the-Silencio-Club Camilla. Who initially thought her name was Diane...

All in all, given that they revealed Diane, I'm glad she's Laura Dern. But I'm sort of disappointed that we know what she looks like. You'll never be able to watch the original series and wonder who Diane really is. Probably.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I have to rewatch, but was there any clue as to what city/state Max Von's (the bar where Albert finds Diane) is in? For a show that's used location chyrons over blatantly obvious establishing shots of NYC and Vegas, I'm surprised there wasn't one there.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I have to rewatch, but was there any clue as to what city/state Max Von's (the bar where Albert finds Diane) is in? For a show that's used location chyrons over blatantly obvious establishing shots of NYC and Vegas, I'm surprised there wasn't one there.
I guess it was Philadelphia? That's why it wasn't established, because Albert & Gordon live and work there. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

garethw wrote:All in all, given that they revealed Diane, I'm glad she's Laura Dern. But I'm sort of disappointed that we know what she looks like. You'll never be able to watch the original series and wonder who Diane really is. Probably.
I somewhat agree, but we all knew in our guts this was coming and hopefully made our peace with it. I'm excited to see what Dern and DKL do with the character.

I do sort of wish they at least hadn't give her a last name. That one name is so iconic on its own, giving her a last name almost de-mystifies her for me even more than actually seeing her.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:There has been an IMO misguided movement to tie the "sheriff statue" into Coop's FBI Story poster from MLMT. However, IMO, if that book has any bearing on TP:TR at all, it will be in its description of Diane, given that wig......
Wow! Great catch!

Might be worth sharing that pic in the main thread for Episode 6 too? That's amazing - it really does set her up perfectly for what we see here. So it shows Frost (maybe Lynch, but probably Frost) has been keeping track of a lot of continuity, more than we maybe realised if he's been keeping note of things from the books too. So maybe he did rewatch the whole show while they were rewriting the new series, despite comments to the contrary!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Any thoughts on "Max Von's"? The obvious thought for me was Max Von Sydow, the great (and now old) actor everyone remembers from Bergman's Seventh Seal. Probably way too obvious a thought, but there it is. Also interesting to note the similarity of the form of the neon sign to the Bang-Bang Bar sign at the Roadhouse, only here you get a megaphone (old time director's megaphone I imagine) rather than a pistol producing the name. Stylistically they are pretty much the same sign. Is Diane involved in acting in some way? Is this another nod to MD?
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The wig/hair is pure Louise Brooks, which does put me in mind of a cabaret.

I do think there are a lot of other quiet linkages to My Life My Tapes in the show, especially in the Dougie storyline (the statue is debatable but I tend to buy it when you add in the green coat, the cowboys, Diane's look, etc) which Frost likely layered in and which makes me want to re-read it.

If that's what's going on here then I do hope at some point he throws something in re: the Earles, who were another important formative piece of Cooper's development. I personally don't care to see them touched on much or heavily again, but a little aside would be nice. Even if it's just seeing a woman who looks like Caroline or a simple word - for all we know, Dougie and Sonny Jim could sit down and watch Raoul Walsh's classic High Sierra, which has Windom Earle's namesake in it ("Mad Dog Earle," played by Humphrey Bogart).
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
log

Post by log »

"Max Von"= "Max" is the name of Norma Desmond`s Butler in "Sunset Boulevard" one of Lynch`s favourites, played by AND a stand in for Erich von Stroheim.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

N. Needleman wrote:I do think there are a lot of other quiet linkages to My Life My Tapes in the show, especially in the Dougie storyline (the statue is debatable but I tend to buy it when you add in the green coat, the cowboys, Diane's look, etc) which Frost likely layered in and which makes me want to re-read it.
Don't forget the part from the book about Cooper holding in his pee for as long as possible. Also, the only thing Frost was allowed to spoil about the show when it was first announced was that we'd see a cup of coffee fly out a window. There's also a scene of just that from the book involving Dale's father.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Panapaok wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I have to rewatch, but was there any clue as to what city/state Max Von's (the bar where Albert finds Diane) is in? For a show that's used location chyrons over blatantly obvious establishing shots of NYC and Vegas, I'm surprised there wasn't one there.
I guess it was Philadelphia? That's why it wasn't established, because Albert & Gordon live and work there. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
I believe that's correct.
Mario Stein

Post by Mario Stein »

Jerry Horne wrote:Is that a wig ;)

Still FBI? Red, white and blue fingernails?
Dennis Bryson (Denise) is transgender and still FBI (FBI Chief :!: )
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I'm thrilled. Also amazed at - HOW ON EARTH did the fans know Laura Dern was going to be Diane???? I mean, from the moment we knew Laura Dern was going to be casted, there was speculation that she might be Diane. I joined in, of course, it occurred to me as a splendid idea. And it really happened?! That's a WOW :D

Now to the point. What she looks like doesn't matter much to me. I don't like the fact that she's got a surname but that's of secondary (thirdondary?) importance. What I think is: SHE is going to be the one who triggers Dougie's wake up!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

The first "Diane" I ever saw IRL was a long long time ago in primary school. She looked exactly how a Diane would look like from my dreams.

Another thing, at the end of episode 4 Albert spoke these famous words "I know where she drinks" just before the band Au Revoir Simone in the Bang Bang Bar started playing "Lark."

SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Laura Dern was simply meant to be Diane if she were ever to be revealed. Always trust your gut feeling.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

BOB1 wrote:I'm thrilled. Also amazed at - HOW ON EARTH did the fans know Laura Dern was going to be Diane???? I mean, from the moment we knew Laura Dern was going to be casted, there was speculation that she might be Diane. I joined in, of course, it occurred to me as a splendid idea. And it really happened?! That's a WOW :D
Well before The Return was announced, people engaging in fantasizing about a continuation of Twin Peaks and/or some of the mysteries of Twin Peaks have been declaring that Dern would have been or should be Diane. So, that might be even a bigger "wow". I mean, she's got a very strong Lynch-related association with Kyle MacLachlan, and Kyle has even stated that he sees Jeffrey from Blue Velvet as being like a younger incarnation of Dale Cooper.
SpookyDollhouse wrote:Laura Dern was simply meant to be Diane if she were ever to be revealed. Always trust your gut feeling.
I'll invoke the spirit of the great (and wrongly maligned) Wally Brando in saying that Dern's dharma was to be Diane, and the dharma of Twin Peaks was to have Diane being played by Laura Dern.

We could say that it's obvious, but why is it obvious? It's obvious because in this instance the dharmic path is absolutely clear. We should not think that Dern should be overlooked for the role because she is the obvious choice. Sometimes the obvious choice is the correct choice.
Last edited by Jasper on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.