General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Henrys Hair »

Gabriel wrote:
StrangerDanger wrote:Impressive theory!
So the series will end with Coop pulling Laura alive from the water outside the Martell's house? ;)
This was posted a day later by Gabriel in response to mtsi's theory that "this season is basically the first 2 seasons in reverse. We start with (figuratively) episode 29 and we get to journey back to episode 1"

He may well have said it in jest, but it turned out he wasn't so far off the mark after all.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Henrys Hair wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
StrangerDanger wrote:Impressive theory!
So the series will end with Coop pulling Laura alive from the water outside the Martell's house? ;)
This was posted a day later by Gabriel in response to mtsi's theory that "this season is basically the first 2 seasons in reverse. We start with (figuratively) episode 29 and we get to journey back to episode 1"

He may well have said it in jest, but it turned out he wasn't so far off the mark after all.
So would you say that the scenes at the start of season 3 are akin to those at the end of season 2?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Agent327 wrote:Yeah, during it's run sheer probability dictates that there will be moments, story arcs that will get your attention and get you intrigued if you stick around.
One thing that is POSSIBLE, and could instill hope in those disillusioned so far, is Coop returning to his old self, the FBI agent somewhat in the ballpark of his former self doing his thing.
That combined with taking on a good case, perhaps directly tied to his own history could at least make a difference for a lot of people.

But of course, if the description is accurate, that this is all about "Cooper's journey back into Twin Peaks" it may not happen until quite late....
The above was posted on May 23, 2017. Just happened to read it and noticed that Agent327 had basically predicted the ending.
I wouldn't say the prediction was accurate at all!
One thing that is POSSIBLE, and could instill hope in those disillusioned so far, is Coop returning to his old self, the FBI agent somewhat in the ballpark of his former self doing his thing.

Dale Cooper did return to the ballpark of his former self, but was reassigned to left field.

That combined with taking on a good case, perhaps directly tied to his own history could at least make a difference for a lot of people.

He is (re?) discovering himself while continuing to investigate the Laura Palmer case 25 years later.

But of course, if the description is accurate, that this is all about "Cooper's journey back into Twin Peaks" it may not happen until quite late....

It didn't happen until the very end.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Henrys Hair wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

So would you say that the scenes at the start of season 3 are akin to those at the end of season 2?
Not particularly - it was more the suggestion that season 3 would end with Cooper pulling Laura alive from the water that seemed somewhat prescient.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by N. Needleman »

Just so people in here see it: Johnny Jewel (of Chromatics, which did "Shadow" and "Saturday" for S3) actually composed an entire album's worth of tracks for Season 3. Lynch only used bits and pieces of it, including Jewel's "Windswept" which was Dougie/Cooper's leitmotif. The full album has now been released as "Themes for Television". You can find it on Spotify by searching Johnny Jewel. It's pretty great and while I'm fine with the show as is, this music is so gorgeous I would kind of have dug more of it being used.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

N. Needleman wrote:Just so people in here see it: Johnny Jewel (of Chromatics, which did "Shadow" and "Saturday" for S3) actually composed an entire album's worth of tracks for Season 3. Lynch only used bits and pieces of it, including Jewel's "Windswept" which was Dougie/Cooper's leitmotif. The full album has now been released as "Themes for Television". You can find it on Spotify by searching Johnny Jewel. It's pretty great and while I'm fine with the show as is, this music is so gorgeous I would kind of have dug more of it being used.
Hopefully it's on Amazon Music too.

A similar situation occurred with Blue Oyster Cult and the film Heavy Metal. They composed a bunch of songs for the film, but none of the songs made specifically for film were used. Instead a song previously written, Veteran of the Psychic Wars, was used.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

N. Needleman wrote:Just so people in here see it: Johnny Jewel (of Chromatics, which did "Shadow" and "Saturday" for S3) actually composed an entire album's worth of tracks for Season 3. Lynch only used bits and pieces of it, including Jewel's "Windswept" which was Dougie/Cooper's leitmotif. The full album has now been released as "Themes for Television". You can find it on Spotify by searching Johnny Jewel. It's pretty great and while I'm fine with the show as is, this music is so gorgeous I would kind of have dug more of it being used.

Agreed, had it on repeat the last few days. Even without having seen any of the season while writing, Jewel really nailed a modern Twin Peaks vibe. At first the Windswept stuff for me just felt like faux-Badalamenti, but it's all really grown on me over the last year. Still nowhere near the brilliance of old Angelo though. That man is on another level entirely.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, I understand Lynch's need for a lot more silence and stillness in his work in the last decade-plus and I was fine with the music situation as is, but I also would've been pretty happy with wall to wall music by both Jewel and Angelo. I think Angelo's contribution was consciously limited, though.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman wrote:Yeah, I understand Lynch's need for a lot more silence and stillness in his work in the last decade-plus and I was fine with the music situation as is, but I also would've been pretty happy with wall to wall music by both Jewel and Angelo. I think Angelo's contribution was consciously limited, though.
Angelo's music was something that contributed to the unique atmosphere of the original series that I missed in The Return
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
Hopefully it's on Amazon Music too.
It's showing up on my Amazon Music
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

In Part 8 of the original series, The Giant shoots a golden orb into Coop's head before he goes to sleep. Given what we now know, does this mean we can say The Giant and The Fireman are one and the same?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I have always assumed the Fireman is the Giant and vice versa.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Same here. But others say they are different.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'd say the only difference is Droolcup as a vessel. The s3 Fireman only appears in the lodge/his house. Apart from that, one and the same for sure.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I think the Fireman is the actual entity and the Giant was his projection.The Fireman only resides in his mansion,whereas the Giant only appeared to Coop in his visions and/or dreams