General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 am

I took that as meaning that the green glove originated as a separate/original idea/character for Nance, not that Pete Martell would have worn the glove. I’ve always thought it was a shame that Nance never had another lead role in DKL’s films post-Eraserhead (other than TP he only had bit parts).
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Soolsma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:52 am

Maybe you can find some solace in considering it was more the Giant who defeated BOB? Freddie was more of a tool, like the glove itself.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Poiuyt
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:26 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Poiuyt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 am

I wonder if Freddie's clothing being so similar to Pete's was intentional, or just one of those happy accidents for Lynch (like the atomic bomb in Eraserhead).
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Jasper » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:26 pm

“I had the green-glove idea from long ago and originally Jack Nance was going to wear it, and that would’ve been a whole different thing.”

Just as long as it wouldn’t have been for a green glove spanking video. :lol:

(If you don't know, you probably shouldn't ask.)
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Soolsma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Jasper wrote:""


LOL you make me google things I shouldn't.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Jackpots
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Mr. Jackpots » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Rigpa wrote:Just heard a short interview on NPR with David Lynch. After talking a bit about the new book Room To Dream, the interviewer asked him about his meditation practice. Lynch spoke about how with the meditation technique stress, anxieties, tensions, sadness, depression, hate, rage, need for revenge, and fear start to automatically lift away. So why, the interviewer asks, are his movies are so dark? His answer was an artist doesn’t have to suffer to show suffering. I understand that, but what I would have asked instead was why does he choose to give the world portrayals of suffering instead of joy? This is what so bewildered me about season 3. At this point in my life, with the world so full of pain and suffering and craziness, I don’t need to add to my consciousness, through the art I choose to experience, more suffering. I was knocked down for several days after watching part 18. So bleak and hopeless…Why not spread around calm, peace, happiness, love instead? At least a better balance of light and dark. There is still much I enjoy and admire in Lynch’s work. And I did re-watch parts 1-17—but I will never watch part 18 again. I’ll go re-watch Call Me By Your Name instead.


I thought the balance of light and dark in season 3 was spot on. So much humour and lightheartedness in the Series. Dr. AMP, "it's not about the bunnies", Mrs. Truman, Candy, Cherry Pie, Dougie Jones our protagonist was a total laugh riot from beginning to end. Etc.

I think the lack of music created a mood that was not as colourful as in the original. A darker mood perhaps.

The sound design was spectacular in its own right though.
User avatar
NormoftheAndes
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:00 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby NormoftheAndes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:50 pm

I wish I'd picked up on the light-heartedness in season 3 or that Dougie was just non-stop hilarity. He wasn't exactly the Marx Bros. Dougie was very melancholy.

The whole season was damn bleak and that's what Lynch and Frost made it for a reason. Its just that they won't tell us why yet.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:39 pm

NormoftheAndes wrote:I wish I'd picked up on the light-heartedness in season 3 or that Dougie was just non-stop hilarity. He wasn't exactly the Marx Bros. Dougie was very melancholy.

The whole season was damn bleak and that's what Lynch and Frost made it for a reason. Its just that they won't tell us why yet.


It baffles me that people consider the Dougie arc pure comic relief. I agree with you that there was a lot of melancholy there, but there was also a ton of joy in that arc (Frank and his green tea latte, the Santino’s scene, postcoitus with Janey-E, placing the potato chip on Sonny Jim’s bed, &c.). And there was undeniably comedy as well (whether you found it worked successfully is another story): Dougie holding his pee, wearing his tie on his head, getting bonked with a baseball. For me, a lot of the Dougie material sat in a grey area between joy, melancholy and comedy, and I could see an argument for each interpretation. I definitely would not categorize any of the Dougie material as “bleak,” though.
User avatar
NormoftheAndes
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:00 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby NormoftheAndes » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:42 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:I wish I'd picked up on the light-heartedness in season 3 or that Dougie was just non-stop hilarity. He wasn't exactly the Marx Bros. Dougie was very melancholy.

The whole season was damn bleak and that's what Lynch and Frost made it for a reason. Its just that they won't tell us why yet.


It baffles me that people consider the Dougie arc pure comic relief. I agree with you that there was a lot of melancholy there, but there was also a ton of joy in that arc (Frank and his green tea latte, the Santino’s scene, postcoitus with Janey-E, placing the potato chip on Sonny Jim’s bed, &c.). And there was undeniably comedy as well (whether you found it worked successfully is another story): Dougie holding his pee, wearing his tie on his head, getting bonked with a baseball. For me, a lot of the Dougie material sat in a grey area between joy, melancholy and comedy, and I could see an argument for each interpretation. I definitely would not categorize any of the Dougie material as “bleak,” though.


I just found the choice of location (Rancho Rosa) to be deliberately bleak. You didn't find the 119 scenes to be very dark? A lot of the houses looked like they were empty as well in Dougie's street - how else could you describe that but bleak? The 119 scenes and Jade were my favourite parts of everything in Vegas and despite any amusing aspects it painted a dark picture of Rancho Rosa life to me.

I am unsure where you find JOY from a potato chip on Sonny Jim's bed-clothes? Again, another melancholy moment that depicted a detachment between Dougie and his son. Yes it was mildly amusing but not a laugh riot. To suggest you found joy in that scene is just Lynch avid fans going nuts for anything Lynch produces.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:56 am

The Rancho Rosa setting is bleak, but when I think of the Dougie storyline over fourteen or so Parts, Rancho Rosa is just one small piece of it, even though that’s where it began. Dougie’s own neighborhood looked perfectly affluent to me.

I didn’t interpret the potato chip as showing detachment between father and son, I saw it as a sweet offering that Sonny Jim appreciated. Kids do stuff like that. I think from the “thumbs-up” scene on, we see Dougie and Sonny Jim connect more than Dougie connects with anyone else because they share a sense of childish wonderment/amusement. Having a different gut reaction to one moment than you do doesn’t make me an apologist. I’m not even sure what you’re getting at; if I found the scene melancholy (as I do many other Dougie scenes), it wouldn’t necessarily make me love it any more or less or make Lynch any more or less brilliant. It would just evoke a different emotion.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby N. Needleman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:13 pm

I think a lot of Vegas is about how the purest attributes of Cooper - through "Dougie" - bring out the best in a troubled world and people around him. It changes to accommodate him, not vice versa.

Unfortunately, when Cooper fully regrows into his skin and adult self, he is still prone to the same adult neuroses and flaws that led him afield long ago.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Poiuyt
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:26 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Poiuyt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Was Rancho Rosa not Dougie's neighorbood? I honestly thought they were the same place
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Jasper » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Poiuyt wrote:Was Rancho Rosa not Dougie's neighorbood? I honestly thought they were the same place


It's a little confusing, as the neighborhoods look similar, but as I understand it, Rancho Rosa is the neighborhood where Jade and Dougie 1.0 have their tryst across from the home of the drugged-out 119 mother and her son. It wouldn't make sense for Dougie 1.0 to park his car at a house in his own neighborhood and enter and exit there with a prostitute.
Poiuyt
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:26 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby Poiuyt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Jasper wrote:
Poiuyt wrote:Was Rancho Rosa not Dougie's neighorbood? I honestly thought they were the same place


It's a little confusing, as the neighborhoods look similar, but as I understand it, Rancho Rosa is the neighborhood where Jade and Dougie 1.0 have their tryst across from the home of the drugged-out 119 mother and her son. It wouldn't make sense for Dougie 1.0 to park his car at a house in his own neighborhood and enter and exit there with a prostitute.


Yep, you're right. Wow. This will make me think about things differently
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Postby krishnanspace » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:09 am

NormoftheAndes wrote:I wish I'd picked up on the light-heartedness in season 3 or that Dougie was just non-stop hilarity. He wasn't exactly the Marx Bros. Dougie was very melancholy.

The whole season was damn bleak and that's what Lynch and Frost made it for a reason. Its just that they won't tell us why yet.

I remember them say that these are dark times we are currently living in and that they wanted to reflect that in the show.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dkenny78 and 10 guests