General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by baxter »

Who am I kidding - of course I want a S4!!!
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

https://25yearslatersite.com/2018/08/07 ... rker-more/

Interesting interview with Duwayne Dunham, especially talking about watching "Eraserhead" in a theater with Kubrick and Lucas. He mentions how he cut S3 without Lynch viewing a scene while filming. I'm confused by what he means. Lynch would have viewed dailies, not just "recorded" the film and shipped it off to be edited without knowing how each day worked, right? Dunham I assume is talking about assembled scenes. Lynch, though, is very involved in the editing of his projects (and received a credit for it on this), no? This is making it seem like Dunham edited most of this without Lynch's input or at least without a close, side-by-side working relationship, which is weird and not what I assumed.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:https://25yearslatersite.com/2018/08/07 ... rker-more/

Interesting interview with Duwayne Dunham, especially talking about watching "Eraserhead" in a theater with Kubrick and Lucas. He mentions how he cut S3 without Lynch viewing a scene while filming. I'm confused by what he means. Lynch would have viewed dailies, not just "recorded" the film and shipped it off to be edited without knowing how each day worked, right? Dunham I assume is talking about assembled scenes. Lynch, though, is very involved in the editing of his projects (and received a credit for it on this), no? This is making it seem like Dunham edited most of this without Lynch's input or at least without a close, side-by-side working relationship, which is weird and not what I assumed.
He talks more in-depth about the process here: https://www.provideocoalition.com/AOTC-TWIN-PEAKS

Essentially, it sounds like Dunham did a preliminary edit while DKL was shooting, then DKL came in and reviewed and did his own cut. Which isn’t uncommon, and was probably a necessity on a project of this length.

One thing that’s always confused me: I’ve read a number of interviews with Dunham over the years where he talks about that TP S1/W@H period, and he always seems to speak as if he edited TP S1, which obviously was not the case.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"Frost hopes the show will continue. Lynch, for his part, politely declined an interview for this story, explaining via a representative that he had moved on from Twin Peaks and was focused on his painting."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ssive-fans
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Doesn't sound like Lynch is interested in more Twin Peaks anytime soon. Maybe he'll change his mind next year.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

mtwentz wrote:Doesn't sound like Lynch is interested in more Twin Peaks anytime soon. Maybe he'll change his mind next year.
This to me sounds like a plan to keep Twin Peaks in the headlines. We'll see if we get regular stories like this cropping up for the rest of the year etc. I mean, Sabrina Sutherland recently said she hopes there is more. Now Mark says he wants more? Also, what if some talks have already gone on with Showtime and Lynch is holding out for something? Or pretending to hold out for something. These guys all know how to play the media game.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jerry Horne wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Doesn't sound like Lynch is interested in more Twin Peaks anytime soon. Maybe he'll change his mind next year.
This to me sounds like a plan to keep Twin Peaks in the headlines. We'll see if we get regular stories like this cropping up for the rest of the year etc. I mean, Sabrina Sutherland recently said she hopes there is more. Now Mark says he wants more? Also, what if some talks have already gone on with Showtime and Lynch is holding out for something? Or pretending to hold out for something. These guys all know how to play the media game.
Also a month before The Return was announced, Lynch again said he was into painting for now.But the fact that he hasn't said no is the biggest indication
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm pretty sure I remember that.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:I'm pretty sure I remember that.
Yes, it definitely happened.

That said, Lynch really is very passionate about painting, and I respect him for it. Hearing about the way he goes right into the studio every day and spends most of his time there is very inspirational. He didn't get to do anything else for a long time while he made season 3. Given his wide-ranging creative interests, I do think that we can expect him to focus on other things for a significant amount of time. What constitutes a significant amount of time, I can't tell you. What we do know is that he truly enjoyed making season 3, and was very happy with the way it turned out, so one of these days he could very well hear the wind in the trees and get right back into that world.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Jasper wrote:That said, Lynch really is very passionate about painting, and I respect him for it. Hearing about the way he goes right into the studio every day and spends most of his time there is very inspirational.
Now that sounds like a dream come true.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

yeah, lynch's relationship with painting is really inspiring. i think he mentioned he was painting again in a vulture interview? and it's all over the art life. actually i'm thinking about his ew interview where he spoke about working on furniture. anyways, his dedication to painting got me back into sketching again. but on a less personal note, it seems he derived a lot of visual inspiration for the return from his painting and it seems integral to his artistic process. so this is a good thing in my opinion. use that brain space for art, not media interviews.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mark just tweeted that Vanity Fair piece where they say he wants more Twin Peaks.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:Mark just tweeted that Vanity Fair piece where they say he wants more Twin Peaks.
That's good. Looks like we can probably take that to mean that he doesn't feel as though they've misrepresented his feelings with regards to continuing the story.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

If Sabrina is saying she wants more I take a lot of inference from that, personally. (Hi Sabrina, if you production folks still lurk)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

N. Needleman wrote:If Sabrina is saying she wants more I take a lot of inference from that, personally. (Hi Sabrina, if you production folks still lurk)
yeah, at this point it feels like Sabrina is basically a surrogate for DL and if he wasn't interested at all in continuing in the future she would put a little water on the season 4 anticipation fire. didn't she say recently she was helping david figure out what his next project would be? going through his box of ideas?