General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by Soolsma »

I cannot find a single article that picked up the fact that she landed a role in it.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:I cannot find a single article that picked up the fact that she landed a role in it.
Amy should have leaked it on dugpa.com, then for sure tvline would have have posted an article about it within 24 hours.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think people need to realize that this “pre-hype hype” trend is not L/F’s style. Lately every big movie/show seems to have a teaser trailer for the teaser trailer. But when TP:TR happened, L/F just dropped the bombshell on us via Twitter with no fanfare. They’re not the type to say “I have big news that I’m going to share later, so get ready!” If and when S4 is announced months or years from now, it’s likely going to happen without warning or buildup, when we least expect it.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Actually they just tweeted that the gum we like was going to come back in style. The official announcement by Showtime followed three whole days later. See Dugpa going nuts. I guess you could call that period a pre-hype hype.

I do completely get where you are coming from. It simply wouldn't suit their style. I was not realistically expecting it to happen, and I think most of us weren't. However, the prospect of possible TP related news is always exciting, be it a continuation announcement or something minor.

(Now dreaming of Log Lady style Candie episode introductions, how hilarious would that be.)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Fair, but the gum tweets were a (relatively) unambiguous announcement that we all understood, a more fun and exciting way of giving the fans advance notice before the more straightforward corporate announcement. Sort of like DKL announcing IE to his website subscribers a day before the announcement for the general public. I look at that as something different from “I have exciting news, but I’m not going to tell you what it is yet”—in a way, it’s the opposite. That MO of giving the hardcore fans (be it Twitter followers or website subscribers) first priority is another reason I doubt they would ever make the announcement at such a large, non-intimate venue as SDCC.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think people need to realize that this “pre-hype hype” trend is not L/F’s style. Lately every big movie/show seems to have a teaser trailer for the teaser trailer. But when TP:TR happened, L/F just dropped the bombshell on us via Twitter with no fanfare. They’re not the type to say “I have big news that I’m going to share later, so get ready!” If and when S4 is announced months or years from now, it’s likely going to happen without warning or buildup, when we least expect it.
The Annoucement will be in 2025 more or less.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

N. Needleman wrote:I know the person who killed me: Amy Shiels.
Amy Shiels should leave of write tweets as yesterday. it didn,t any grace.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think people need to realize that this “pre-hype hype” trend is not L/F’s style. Lately every big movie/show seems to have a teaser trailer for the teaser trailer. But when TP:TR happened, L/F just dropped the bombshell on us via Twitter with no fanfare. They’re not the type to say “I have big news that I’m going to share later, so get ready!” If and when S4 is announced months or years from now, it’s likely going to happen without warning or buildup, when we least expect it.
The Annoucement will be in 2025 more or less.
I dunno about that, but I do think it will be at least a couple more years, if it comes at all. S3 took six years from initial conception to airing, and for two years of that time, it essentially consumed DKL’s entire life, taking him away from his wife and small child as well as all other artistic pursuits (and other little things like sleep). Room to Dream details how all-consuming it was and the physical toll it took on him. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to want to jump right back into that again so soon, nor to expect that L/F would come up with an idea and bang out a script in a matter of months given their insistence on grueling perfectionism last time.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to want to jump right back into that again so soon, nor to expect that L/F would come up with an idea and bang out a script in a matter of months given their insistence on grueling perfectionism last time.
Ahem. I hate to be a sourpuss, but one would think "grueling perfectionism" includes meticulously watching ALL the TP-related material (as in every single existing episode) prior to embarking on a script-writing, let alone directing quest on a show that's coming back after a quarter of a century. I would throw in poring over all the tie-in books, especially the ones written by your own daughter and the brother of your co-creator, as well. Instead, as we were lead to believe, Lynch probably just watched the Pilot, the Finale and FWWM and called it a day.

But, yeah, what an insensitive, cock-teasing nonsense from Shiels (and other ones) on Tweeter that was ... NOT impressed, to put it politely.
Last edited by Agent Earle on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Well, whether or not you agree with their methods, my main point was that by all accoints (including Emily Lynch’s), it took them a ton of man hours before arriving at a script they were satisfied with. Maybe we could expect a somewhat quicker turnaround this time (or a shorter season), but I definitely think it’s way too early for them to have a script they’re happy enough with to make an announcement. It’s only a little over a year since DKL finished post on the last season, and there’s no way they dove right back in to writing.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Agent Earle wrote:But, yeah, what an insensitive, cock-teasing nonsense from Shiels (and other ones) on Tweeter that was ... NOT impressed, to put it politely.
Oh, come on! She is still a newbie and fully entitled to be excited to share some news about her acting career. Was it insensitive just because she's now best known for a part in a series with a cult following that will take anything out of context just to get their hopes up? Now, of course she could have expected the interwebs would be all ''omg omg s4!'' but I don't think this was deliberately mean spirited nor a misleading way of attention leeching.

So far she's only done B-movie flops, a video game and Twin Peaks, cut the girl some slack for landing another role.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Maybe we could expect a somewhat quicker turnaround this time (or a shorter season),
There probably should be factors that would help in speeding up the process such as characters and concepts already being fleshed out, the world of Twin Peaks still fresh in their minds, etc. It doesn't seem likely the leap from s3 to 4 would be as big as originals > s3.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:There probably should be factors that would help in speeding up the process such as characters and concepts already being fleshed out, the world of Twin Peaks still fresh in their minds, etc. It doesn't seem likely the leap from s3 to 4 would be as big as originals > s3.
I definitely don’t disagree, but I don’t see it being THIS fast. I’d give it another year at least.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Nah, me neither. I mostly meant it could be less slow.

There's also the possibility that what they start writing, are already writing or perhaps even finish, ends up getting shelved for whatever reason.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Lynch said that Agent Dale Cooper won the Emmy award in the "Red Room".That's a hint that he is still not ready the leave Twin Peaks and that he thinks about it
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I am not actually angry at the lovely Amy Shiels at all. I was just teasing. I don't think anyone should give her any grief.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.