What do we know about the ring? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

What do we know about the ring? (SPOILERS)

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

I think that the ring is one of the most interesting parts of the mythology of the show.

So far, I believe what we know:
- Teresa Banks had the ring on at some point (did she have it on when she was killed?) I am guessing not as Bob took the garmonbozia for himself.
- Desmond Chester grabbed the ring and disappeared (Although I don't believe we see him disappearing right away).
- After this, the ring ends up with the MFAP.
- He tries to give the ring to Laura but she does not take it.
- The One-Armed Man gives the ring to Laura and she is killed (what happens to the ring after this)?
- Later Annie ends up with the ring (do we know how?)

After that, my guess is that Bad Cooper gets the ring from the hospital as the ring later shows up on Dougie Jones, who was manufactured by Bad Cooper.

So what are the powers of the ring? Does having the ring on automatically make you 'with' the MFAP? Can someone have the ring and prevent that fate?

Are there any theories on why Chester Desmond disappears as this is the only instance that the ring has that affect?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: What do we know about the ring?

Post by ThumbsUp »

If you're into the mythology of the ring, you absolutely must read The Secret History of Twin Peaks. It explains the history of the ring over hundreds of years, goes through various owners, and so on. There have been lots of connections to this book in season 3, so it's worth reading.

One of the most interesting things to me about the ring is that, in the convenience store scene in FWWM, there's a circular, ring-sized hole in the green formica table TMFAP rubs his hands over.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

In the missing pieces, didn't a hospital nurse take the ring off of Annie's finger and place it on her own?
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

BigEd wrote:In the missing pieces, didn't a hospital nurse take the ring off of Annie's finger and place it on her own?
She sure did! I'm hoping this will be touched upon later in the season 3.

EDIT: and yes, TSHOTP holds a lot more information about the ring.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

ThumbsUp wrote:One of the most interesting things to me about the ring is that, in the convenience store scene in FWWM, there's a circular, ring-sized hole in the green formica table TMFAP rubs his hands over.
I've long and often wondered about that. If the formica table represents some plane of being, then the ring might well 'wed' the wearer to that plane. A plane in which the chrome reflects our image.

*claps knee twice in reverse*

(quick afterthought: do the woodmens' old electronics cabinets not bear some resemblance to the circuit boards in the Mauve Room?)
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Is there only one ring? I know there's a lot of talk about it and many discussions focus on how did the ring go from this person to that person etc. I know that a lot of the mythology around it (especially in TSHOTP) suggests the ring is sort of LOTR-ish in that it's this one ring with special attributes. I just wonder whether just concluding there are many (manufactured by MFAP or some other lodge spirit) makes a lot more sense.
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

indyit wrote:Is there only one ring? I know there's a lot of talk about it and many discussions focus on how did the ring go from this person to that person etc. I know that a lot of the mythology around it (especially in TSHOTP) suggests the ring is sort of LOTR-ish in that it's this one ring with special attributes. I just wonder whether just concluding there are many (manufactured by MFAP or some other lodge spirit) makes a lot more sense.
It would seem there is only one ring as there is a single hole in the formica table, that looks like it was cut out when they made the ring.

It would be logical if similar objects existed somewhere in the world, but the Owl Cave ring appears to be unique.