S3 Episode 1 fully re-edited (with old music)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Grey Lodge

S3 Episode 1 fully re-edited (with old music)

Post by The Grey Lodge »

As a massive Twin Peaks fan, I'm finding the new season disappointing to say the least for a variety of reasons, two of which are the lack of music and awful pacing, so for fun, I've gone ahead and re-edited the entire first episode to include Angelo Badalamenti's music from both the original show and FWWM and also trimmed down some scenes I felt were unnecessarily long. I've been able to cut it down from 1 hour to 50 mins.

In trying to be as respectful as I could to Lynch's work, I've only trimmed scenes (none have been deleted) and used music where none was previously. That doesn't mean there's wall-to-wall musical cues; just selected ones here and there to liven things up a bit. In editing this I realized Lynch used a lot of master shots, very few close-ups with little-to-no camera movement (like in the Ben and Jerry scene), so it didn't allow for seamless editing without creating a jarring jump cut. I tried to avoid that when I could. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who watches the entire 50 mins. Thanks!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rj9zn
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Re: S3 Episode 1 fully re-edited (with old music)

Post by Skip Bittman »

Well, that pretty conclusively proves why wholesale recycling of the old score would've been a horrible idea. Respectfully.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Most of the original music doesn't fit, Lynch made the right decision. It needs to be used very carefully in specific scenes. Especially Laura Palmer's theme in the NY scenes not only feels out of place but also kills the mood. Some of the edits here are very rushed too, especially the first Sheriff's Station scene with Lucy & the insurance guy. No disrespect to your effort, just my two cents.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

Nice. I'll definitely check this out.

I did the same thing except with a single scene.
https://youtu.be/ukzvjrYw_GQ
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:Nice. I'll definitely check this out.

That was an interesting choice for music. On the whole, I liked it and you timed it really well. :)
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

Panapaok wrote:Most of the original music doesn't fit, Lynch made the right decision. It needs to be used very carefully in specific scenes. Especially Laura Palmer's theme in the NY scenes not only feels out of place but also kills the mood. Some of the edits here are very rushed too, especially the first Sheriff's Station scene with Lucy & the insurance guy. No disrespect to your effort, just my two cents.
I have to agree. It was a great experiment and thanks for doing it - it was interesting to watch - but it's above all a great demonstration of the importance of the sound design on the project, validates Lynch's choice to ask Angelo for atmospheric music rather than what he did for the original, and shows that Lynch's deliberate pacing has its purpose. Your version pretty much destroys the episode. And it also demonstrates that even with the old music and a faster pacing, the Return still doesn't feel like the old show. It just feels bad (and that's nothing to do with your edit itself. It's just not written and filmed to be edited that way).
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

The Grey Lodge wrote:
Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:Nice. I'll definitely check this out.

That was an interesting choice for music. On the whole, I liked it and you timed it really well. :)
Thanks very much!
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

If it only it was possible to get dialogue-only versions of S1 & 2. I'd love to do it the other way round and try parts of the old show out with some of the new sound design.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Too bad the video was removed. I'd like to see it.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Me too :(
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

Soolsma wrote:Too bad the video was removed. I'd like to see it.
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Me too :(
I have no idea where to upload it anymore. I initially tried Youtube (removed before going public) and then Dailymotion. :(
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

You can never go home.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

I made a little video out of sheer love/respect/passion for all of Twin Peaks' creators but espesh Bowie.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3768

Most of it was not taken from any part of Twin peaks except I used the bit of flyover footage of New York (for a very good reason). I did use "The Chair", a Moby track (hardcore thrash metal) and one of Dean Hurley's tracks that you can buy online.

The video was immediately detected as having copyright material, but did upload and was viewable for a few hours then CBS slapped the take down notice on.

I did wonder if I lopped off the only bit of actual TP video and tried re-uploading, would it be OK?
Moby didn't complain, Dean Hurley didn't complain and The Bowie estate didn't complain...

I fear getting another "strike" against me though...

I thought about uploading to some Russian video site...
I did think Russia didn't give a shit about copyright but apparently these days they do!
We could just stick things up on something like depositfiles...

If anyone has a good idea, speak up.

I think I'll send a DVD to Mark Frost care of his UK publishers because the Philip Jeffries vid really ended up looking like a missing piece of TP circa 2003..... I'd love for him and Lynch to see it :-)

One very brief one still up:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGRv0u ... I6_W57x6zQ