"This is the water, and this is the well..." poem (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Re: "This is the water, and this is the well..." poem (Spoilers)

Post by TheAlien »

What if it (along with the fie walk with me poem) is part of a larger 'ancient' poem that is crucial to the entire TP story?
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
Leacock
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leacock »

Ragnell wrote:"Drink full and descend" seems to indicate descending into unconsciousness, and also descending spiritually to the Black Lodge. The structure on the hilltop, the floating of ???????, Dougie-Coop's constant drawings of ladders and stairwells, Dougie-Coop regularly looking upwards all point towards a rising/ascension theme for the White Lodge. The Giant is very tall and usually seen on stage or close to the ceiling. He climbs stairs to reach the theater and then rises higher in response to seeing BOB. The golden energy goes ABOVE his head, and when the Lauraorb is formed, Senorita Dido sends it even further upwards through the trumpet-thingy before sending it to Earth via orbit.

By that logic, the Blazck Lodge may be associated with descending and falling.

The opening theme to Twin Peaks is called Falling.

Our perspective whenever BOB appears. He's played by a tall man but RARELY seen above chest level. He climbs over furniture, he climbs in through the window but down to the ground before crawling up on Laura's bed. He peers over the bed and climbs onto it in Josie's death scene. We don't really see him going UP the stairs in the Palmer household, or really many people. We see Leland and Sarah going DOWN the stairs at times. Sarah crawls on the floor when she's drugged.

The Woodsman descend from the Lodge. The Borb was seen in a trail spewed downward towards Earth.

Basically, the activities of the Black lodge, despite the owls, tend towards a downward theme. Sure, we see characters move upward from time to time, and White Lodge associated characters and items (the Lauraorb, Cooper's ring) float down or fall down and so on but OVERWHELMINGLY the imagery we spend the most time on is White Lodge moving up, Black Lodge moving down.

The way I saw it? The water was the hypnotic words of the Woodsman, the well was the knowledge and the magic behind those woods. "Drink full, and descend" was the Woodsman telling the town to take in his woods, and the magic behind it, and descend to unconsciousness and the spiritual level of the Black Lodge.
That is an interesting theory, but remember, Laura seemed to think that BOB came from her ceiling fan, and we see that he does, I suppose it is still a case of descending, but they are descending to our level.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don't think Bob literally came from the ceiling fan. FWWM implies that Laura associates the fan with Bob because Leland turns it on to cover the noise and prevent Sarah from hearing. Of course, the fan also has a larger sinister/symbolic relationship with Bob/Leland's abuse of Laura throughout the show, but I don't recall it ever being implied that Bob came from the fan in a literal sense.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Obviously it was a poem, but a poem with a specific function- hypnotic induction... "This is the water, and this is the well, drink full, and descend" made me think of hypnosis, along the small matter of everyone hearing falling asleep/becoming hypnotised*; google confirms that evoking water and drawing from its well (hah) of associations and imagery is pretty common in hypnosis, as is descent. As for the horse being the white of the eyes and dark within, I know shit from shinola. But I love it!

*I know this isn't how hypnotism works. But he's not your run of the mill hypnotist...