will the revival end on a happy note?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

tresojos
Roadhouse Member

will the revival end on a happy note?

Post by tresojos »

idk knowing lynch... season 2 ending was pretty depressing, but fwwm ending was more hopeful... i guess.
if revival is the true end of twin peaks. will it end bittersweet?
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: will the revival end on a happy note?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Pretty much all of DKL's films end on shockingly upbeat/redemptive notes, even if the main character often has to die (or commit infanticide) to find peace/nirvana/enlightenment. The only real downers are MD and aguably LH.

I think it will be bittersweet, and I'm not certain Dale will make it out alive. Also keep in mind that DKL disliked the season 2 ending as an ending for the entire series (although I personally love it), so that shouldn't be really factored in.
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

I don't know about happy, at least not in the sense of every character we care about getting a happy ending. I expect a triumphant note, rather than a happy one.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Season two is as much of an ending as season one was. It was the nature of a serial show, stacking the deck with cliffhangers to entice the viewer back in three months.

Since Lynch and Frost love this world and I feel planned this to have a sense of closure, I think it will end on a positive note of hope and harmony. I don't think things will be defined or explained, but there will be a sense of completion.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I think it will end positively in that the evil in Twin Peaks will be defeated, etc, but I don't think Coop or resurrected Laura will be alive at the end.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

With Lynch, you tend to get either comforting or cathartic in terms of "happy" endings, but rarely both. If any of his works buck that trend, though, it does feel right that it'd be Twin Peaks, with its likable characters who have already suffered so greatly. Fire Walk With Me basically already did it (providing an ending that feels both comforting and cathartic, though obviously it isn't a "happy" ending in so many other ways).

No matter how it shakes out, I hope it's unexpected and moving.
zmccain

Post by zmccain »

It better. I've said for years that one of the cruelest things Lynch ever did on film was what he did to Cooper at the end of season two. When this new series was announced I said to myself "Yes! He can fix this now!" To end this new series on a dark note would be a mistake in my opinion. He already did that with season 2. Things need to be made right. :wink:
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Pretty much all of DKL's films end on shockingly upbeat/redemptive notes, even if the main character often has to die (or commit infanticide) to find peace/nirvana/enlightenment. The only real downers are MD and aguably LH.
On one level this is true, but I also think those those upbeat/redemptive endings are purposefully over-euphoric. They tend to undo themselves because of how blissful they are, appearing synthetic and removed from the tone of what has gone before. Even a joyous dance-off finale like Inland Empire or the return of the robins in Blue Velvet are more in the vein of metatheatre bookends than straightforward narrative closure. It's a purposefully saccharine taste, as I see it.

To be honest I don't think Lynch likes endings, insofar as endings are conventions. In his work the dramatic envelope isn't really resolved so much as lampshaded, with lots of shiny. We might have a party as the film/series comes to an end, but I doubt it will be a loose-ends-tied-up ending, it will be more along the lines of all the players taking a bow in some weird extra-diegetic eternal present that answers little.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Interesting point, Novalis. In the Rodley book, he discusses the BV ending and the fact that film endings are artificial things, and that Jeffrey & co. haven't really resolved all their issues, just that particular set of events. (I'm going from memory here, but it was along those lines). I think this is why the concept of an ongoing TV series really appealed to him, although in practice, he maybe didn't/doesn't have the patience for the realities of running a TV show indefinitely.