Lost in the Movies on Twin Peaks: The Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Lost in the Movies on Twin Peaks: The Return

Post by LostInTheMovies »

djerdap wrote:Excellent write-up on Parts 17 and 18, Joel. We have similar interpretations about Cooper and what transpired in the end.

I am so tremendously relieved. I was watching Part 17 with total dread, horrified by some of the choices made by Frost and Lynch. I am inclined to say that Part 18 was brilliant, since I cannot stop thinking about it, making a lot of Part 17 better in retrospect. Can't wait to see it again.
I think in 17/18 Lynch was able to do what he was not really willing to do in FWWM or even the finale (and it wouldn't have worked), give closure (er, "closure" lol) to all of Twin Peaks' threads, the goofy over wackiness, the straight-up heroics, the dreamy romanticism, the show's own built-up mythology (w/ the FWWM footage revisited), the darker undertones, the out-there experimentation. First 1/2 of 17 was like a loving sendoff to all the Peyton/Engels goofiness of s2 that was much better than most of that stuff to my mind bc it went so FAR over the top while also kinda playing into the central mythos.

That said, it is interesting to remember Frost (God bless him) wrote Fantastic 4, one of the cheesiest - and not in a good way - superhero movies I've ever seen. (Closing scene: a character gives another character an engagement ring formed from "a gasket from outer space") :cry: So he has that straight-up pulpy side to him...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks everyone for reading these, and for the positive feedback! My work on The Return is definitely only just beginning. The videos of course, but I'm also inclined to relaunch the entire character series w/ all the characters from The Return (and rewriting those who appeared in both series) because...I am insane haha.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Thanks everyone for reading these, and for the positive feedback! My work on The Return is definitely only just beginning. The videos of course, but I'm also inclined to relaunch the entire character series w/ all the characters from The Return (and rewriting those who appeared in both series) because...I am insane haha.
I've been hoping you'd say that! :mrgreen: Luckily, most of the pre-existing characters should be relatively easy to revisit, given how little screentime they each had. The downside is you have about 200 new characters, and your Dale entry is going to be a structural nightmare.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Thanks everyone for reading these, and for the positive feedback! My work on The Return is definitely only just beginning. The videos of course, but I'm also inclined to relaunch the entire character series w/ all the characters from The Return (and rewriting those who appeared in both series) because...I am insane haha.
I've been hoping you'd say that! :mrgreen: Luckily, most of the pre-existing characters should be relatively easy to revisit, given how little screentime they each had. The downside is you have about 200 new characters, and your Dale entry is going to be a structural nightmare.
Haha, I know, I've been thinking about that. Most of all, wondering how to deal with Dougie & the Dougie redux built in ep. 18- are these all Coopers co-existing in one world & different timelines/universes? Certainly it feels like tulpa Diane and redhead Diane should be a part of a single Diane Evans entry so I think I should do the same with Cooper.