ROLLING POLL, CONTINUED! Your ongoing reaction to The Return, PARTS 1-16 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your overall reaction, based upon all parts released to date?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Like or Love
80%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
11%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
5%
Dislike or Hate
4%

Total votes: 197
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: ROLLING POLL, CONTINUED! Your ongoing reaction to The Return, PARTS 1-16 (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

The Gazebo wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Mr. Jackpots wrote:Where are the Haters at?
I don't know. There were more in the previous polls (though obviously opinions aren't static). I want their votes as well. My log does not judge. I'm not looking for a particular result, I'm looking for accuracy.
I think quite a few of the really disappointed ones have left the forum (or greatly reduced their forum time), so this poll will most likely be heavily skewed in favour of the fans.
Looks like you spoke too soon. The numbers have now convincingly normalized (based upon previous polls).

Thanks, h8rz! :D
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: ROLLING POLL, CONTINUED! Your ongoing reaction to The Return, PARTS 1-16 (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

So, 6 out of 98 are against it? :lol: :lol:

That's just America. Choose your topic. You'll easily find the "whatever it is, I'm against it" crowd.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

BigEd wrote:So, 6 out of 98 are against it? :lol: :lol:

That's just America. Choose your topic. You'll easily find the "whatever it is, I'm against it" crowd.
That's just humans. This poll isn't only of Americans.

A poll of Americans on most subjects would generally reflect a far larger and ever-increasing divide.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Finally, 100 votes.

I'm gonna make you a pie!
pie.jpg
pie.jpg (748.51 KiB) Viewed 10163 times
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BigEd wrote:So, 6 out of 98 are against it? :lol: :lol:

We're talking about a work that has gone out of its way to challenge the audience on almost every front, particularly pacing, and a sequel that stubbornly refuses to deliver on expectations. As much as I'm enjoying it, I think that those who dislike it have a perfectly justifiable position. I'm actually shocked the consensus has been so positive.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

The number of votes has nearly doubled since last week, so we now have far more accurate results.

Here are the poll results as they appeared moments before the release of Part 12:
poll_thru_part_11.jpg
poll_thru_part_11.jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
Like or Love: 86% (101 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 8% (9 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 2% (2 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 4% (5 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 117
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Screenshot of this poll just prior to the debut of part 13:
poll_parts_1-12.jpg
poll_parts_1-12.jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 9985 times
Like or Love: 83% (115 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 10% (14 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 4% (5 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 4% (5 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 139
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Bump for votes. Only two new votes since Sunday. Let's up the numbers!
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

Love the return except this whole awful Dougie storyline. I've seen enough of Kyle bumping into shit, repeating the last word in the sentence said to him and generally looking bewildered. If I want to see an idiot stop crime I can watch Johnny English starring Mr. Bean. On the positive side:
I can't think of a bad Gordon and Albert scene I even loved the one with the French Hooker. The "blue scene" at the end of episode 4 might be the best of the season.
Naomi Watts has been great. She carries all the shit Dougie scenes.
I love that we are getting some background facts that we were only able to speculate about for the last 25 plus years
Hoping that we get some more spooky black lodge/room above a convenience store stuff. There hasn't been enough of that this season imo but I feel it is going start coming at a heavy rate.
Mr. C is badass and I do not think we've seen the worst he is capable of yet
Richard Horne is a great heel very hateable
The whole Sherriff department with exception of Andy & Lucy has been great every time we've seen it.
Episode 8 was great.

Overall, I wait eagerly for every episode all week long and love it. Except that I do wish that they did not make the choice to exclude Cooper from this season. I also would have liked to hear more about Chet Desmond which I guess we still might although Chris Isaac is not in the cast list.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

There's a beautiful post on the subreddit that articulates exactly what I've come to feel from The Return;

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... _humanism/
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

The poll as it appeared just prior to the debut of part 14:
poll_parts_1-13.png
poll_parts_1-13.png (63.92 KiB) Viewed 9823 times
Like or Love: 82% (121 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 10% (15 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 5% (7 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 3% (5 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 148
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Changed my vote from second to third option. Watcing new episodes is beggining to feel like an obligation to me and I'm gradually approaching a mindset that wishes this revival never happened.

Rating : 5/10 (And I believe I'm being generous here)
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I'm still in the "heavily mixed, leaning towards negative" camp. I like and appreciate many elements of the show, but for each good thing is a bad thing. The show reached the point, I think at the brilliant Part 8, where I and I'm sure many others were no longer constantly comparing it back to the original (someone on this board put it well when they said we were not looking at it with 25 years of baggage). I thought that Part 8 would be a turning point for the show, and that it would start to gel more in and of itself in the subsequent episodes. Instead, it largely has been disappointing in the last six episodes. Still, each episode, no matter how awful (Part 12 being the worst so far) has some moment, some takeaway that works. I watched episodes 1-10 twice each (usually the previous week's right before the new), but have yet to watch 11-14 more than once because I was catching up over the past week. Most episodes have been better on re-watch, but I'm unsure if the most recent ones would be.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Screenshot of this poll just prior to the debut of part 15:
(Remember, votes are editable up until the debut of parts 17/18.)
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.27.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.27.24 PM.png (62.13 KiB) Viewed 9674 times
Like or Love: 80% (129 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 11% (18 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 6% (9 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 4% (6 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 162
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I suppose I'm still technically mixed. I sort of like it for what it is as its own thing, but can't help wishing it could have been more like the Season 3 I had imagined. And there's some narrative and pacing choices I seriously question. I'm at the stage where I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh. It's still the only TV show I'm following and I still prefer the original series, but I can't really decide what I think about the new series anymore. Anyone else feel like this? Going with the flow, trying to like it more than I am, but I do like some of it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.