ROLLING POLL, CONTINUED! Your ongoing reaction to The Return, PARTS 1-16 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your overall reaction, based upon all parts released to date?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Like or Love
80%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
11%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
5%
Dislike or Hate
4%

Total votes: 197
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

ROLLING POLL, CONTINUED! Your ongoing reaction to The Return, PARTS 1-16 (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

This is an ongoing poll for those who are up-to-date with all of the episodes that have been released at their time(s) of voting. Your vote will be editable in the event that the release of one or more new episodes changes your overall reaction.

The poll will remain open, and votes will remain editable, until the release of parts 17 & 18, at which point voting will be locked.

The first poll, which was exclusively about parts 1-4, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3552

The second poll, which was exclusively about parts 1-9, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3604
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: ROLLING POLL, CONTINUED! Your ongoing reaction to The Return, PARTS 1-16 (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

LLL.gif
LLL.gif (154.63 KiB) Viewed 11708 times
I know this poll looks like the previous one, but it's new, so vote and be counted :!:

I'd like this poll to get a lot more votes before the premiere of Part 11, so that we can have a statistically significant snapshot representing reactions to Parts 1-10. This isn't only to satisfy our current curiosity, but to provide a simple, clear record of the original reactions of the core dugpa fanbase at each step along the way, which I think will prove valuable to future discussion and analysis.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: ROLLING POLL, CONTINUED! Your ongoing reaction to The Return, PARTS 1-16 (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Where are the Haters at?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

It's a whole 18 hour movie. Can't say anything till I have seen everything. But I am enjoying it very much. Hope to See Cooper return this Sunday
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:It's a whole 18 hour movie. Can't say anything till I have seen everything. But I am enjoying it very much. Hope to See Cooper return this Sunday
To be clear, this is not in any way about making a final judgement of the work based upon incomplete information. It's about our feelings at given points along the way. We have feelings during a film, not just when it's over, and The Return is a huge film being released in many parts. One of the most fascinating things will be to see how people were feeling at one point vs. another point, or at a given point along the way vs. the final appraisal of the complete work.

So, again, this is explicitly not about a final appraisal, but how we feel at various points along the way, which is why this poll ends before the release of the two-part finale. (See the previous thread, where I have been logging and posting the results as they appear prior to the release of each part.)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Still mixed, fluctuating between disappointed and like, depending on the episode and my mood. Will have a better idea when it's all been aired and I rewatch. I still prefer the original series more. But I'm trying to make the best of this new version, even if it's not what I would've hoped it might have been. I'll watch almost anything Lynch and anything Twin Peaks. So still "mixed, leaning towards like" for me for now.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

krishnanspace wrote:It's a whole 18 hour movie. Can't say anything till I have seen everything. But I am enjoying it very much. Hope to See Cooper return this Sunday
It's true that analyzing this in episodes is the totally wrong approach. It would make more sense to analyze it in terms of sequences of scenes and how they work to create an overall 18 hr experience. Suffice to say, this is a difficult beast to analyze. But the one hour block approach is arbitrary and we're likely only getting it that way based on the traditional episode format.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
It's true that analyzing this in episodes is the totally wrong approach. It would make more sense to analyze it in terms of sequences of scenes and how they work to create an overall 18 hr experience. Suffice to say, this is a difficult beast to analyze. But the one hour block approach is arbitrary and we're likely only getting it that way based on the traditional episode format.
To be clear, analysis has nothing to do with this poll. This is strictly about how people are feeling during the course of The Return, more or less in real time, and how those feelings might change or stay the same by the end of things. This is why it's a rolling poll with editable votes. Within this poll I am taking snapshots along the way (because The Return is sorted into parts), but the poll itself is ultimately covering the cumulative reaction of the forums through Part 16, and it's meant to do so in an organic, flowing manner to match the way that feelings occur during the course of experiencing any sort of narrative entertainment/art.

Imagine a future discussion where someone says "Absolutely everyone loved The Return by the middle of it.", or "Half of the fans hated The Return before the ending." I've seen similar types of discussion on dugpa relating to the original series and FWWM. What these polls are doing is giving us a way of looking back and seeing how people were really feeling during the unfolding of The Return. I think it will be quite fascinating to look back on all of this. Never again will we be able to collectively view The Return for the first time, so this is the one and only opportunity to create this record.

Thanks to everybody for voting so far.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I think your questions are fine, but reacting to The Return is difficult no matter how we try to measure it, via emotion or otherwise.

I also don't think it's possible to totally detach emotion from analysis, but that's a different topic.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I think your questions are fine, but reacting to The Return is difficult no matter how we try to measure it, via emotion or otherwise.

I also don't think it's possible to totally detach emotion from analysis, but that's a different topic.
I wouldn’t overcomplicate things. This is really very simple. Even though analysis may be ongoing, how we respond to our given analysis goes right back to emotion, and as we’ve seen quite clearly, emotion can powerfully dictate the conclusions of any analysis (and I’ll leave it at that :lol: ).

Ultimately the poll is simply measuring broad reactions. If a given person’s reactions are fluctuating so wildly within the course of a week or an hour, to the point where this person can’t choose from any of the four very broad categories, then I suppose this poll may be a real challenge, but I seriously doubt that such people, if they exist, represent a statistically significant faction.

Most or all of us know if we’re generally enjoying things a little or a lot, not very much, or not at all. It’s not complicated.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I would like to see the same poll only on a scale of 1 to 10 as terms of appreciation
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Screenshot of this poll just before the release of Part 11:
poll_pts_1-10.jpg
poll_pts_1-10.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 11463 times
Like or Love: 95% (57 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 3% (2 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: No votes
Dislike or Hate: 2% (1 vote)

TOTAL VOTES: 60 (Note that the small sample size is yielding skewed results.)
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

LOVE EVERY SINGLE THING ABOUT SEASON 3...completely surpassed my expectations...

i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Thanks for a whole bunch of new votes.
Dale_Cooper_thumbs_up.gif
Dale_Cooper_thumbs_up.gif (341.63 KiB) Viewed 11221 times
I want to get up over 100 votes, because once we hit 100, each vote isn't counted as more than one percentage point, which is an important step in attaining a statistically significant sample.
Mr. Jackpots wrote:Where are the Haters at?
I don't know. There were more in the previous polls (though obviously opinions aren't static). I want their votes as well. My log does not judge. I'm not looking for a particular result, I'm looking for accuracy.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Jackpots wrote:Where are the Haters at?
I don't know. There were more in the previous polls (though obviously opinions aren't static). I want their votes as well. My log does not judge. I'm not looking for a particular result, I'm looking for accuracy.
I think quite a few of the really disappointed ones have left the forum (or greatly reduced their forum time), so this poll will most likely be heavily skewed in favour of the fans.