When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by The Gazebo »

Ragnell wrote:So when Jade brought Laura to mind... he wasn't healed enough. When he drank the coffee, he wasn't healed enough to go all the way. When TOAM told him to WAKE UP, he still wasn't healed enough to do more than follow his intuition on the paper. When he ate the cherry pie and heard the piano notes, he was still not yet healed enough emotionally to take his destiny in his own hands. He had started making minor decisions, big steps along the way with the miniscule ones he was taking every day, learning to exercise his will like a muscle he'd severely injured, but he wasn't healed enough to actually reclaim his identity and agency.

He needed enough faith, trust and love and time to recuperate before he made that slow crawl to the outlet, and held his fork there for long enough despite the pain of electric shock. That took willpower, and it took time to build it.
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for explaining. Was this evident for you all along, or was the awakening an aha moment which brought it home?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

The Gazebo wrote:
Ragnell wrote:So when Jade brought Laura to mind... he wasn't healed enough. When he drank the coffee, he wasn't healed enough to go all the way. When TOAM told him to WAKE UP, he still wasn't healed enough to do more than follow his intuition on the paper. When he ate the cherry pie and heard the piano notes, he was still not yet healed enough emotionally to take his destiny in his own hands. He had started making minor decisions, big steps along the way with the miniscule ones he was taking every day, learning to exercise his will like a muscle he'd severely injured, but he wasn't healed enough to actually reclaim his identity and agency.

He needed enough faith, trust and love and time to recuperate before he made that slow crawl to the outlet, and held his fork there for long enough despite the pain of electric shock. That took willpower, and it took time to build it.
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for explaining. Was this evident for you all along, or was the awakening an aha moment which brought it home?
An aha moment.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

How long was Coop in Las Vegas? A week? Ten days? Let's not paint this as some kind of zen-like journey of healing and self-discovery. Dude barely had time to learn which end of a fork was which.
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

My gosh I am so happy that we are done with that fuck Dougie. I will miss Naomi Watts but she is a necessary sacrifice so we at least get 2.5/18 hours of Cooper. I love this season despite the mostly awful Dougie shit. They dragged the Mr. Magoo/Rain Man/Corky thing out for too long. Again, I still love the show but I simply find no artistic merit in dragging the Dougie nonsense out for so long other than to cause frustration with the audience. They could have wrapped up his story by episode 6 and created a similar effect. Nonetheless, a real Cooper is such a breath of fresh air. I know many say they love Dougie. I think they really love Twin Peaks and feel like critiquing the show in anyway is blasphemy. I will re-watch this season in blocks after it is over including the Dougie shit but I suspect many of his scenes can be fast forwarded.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Twin Peaks: The Return: The Dougie Shit Stage. :D
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

The longest-dragging tease is usually followed by some of the best sex, just to put it in a rather in-your-face way what I believe might've been the motivation behind the 15.5/18 parts involving Dougie-Coop. ;)
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

To extend the metaphor, from "alt.tv.twin peaks the trickster author, and viewer mastery" regarding WKLP anxiety:

"Are we experiencing an excruciatingly slow f--k destined to end in a whimper of an orgasm? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. There are worse things in life" - page 64 full of secrets
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

sylvia_north wrote:To extend the metaphor, from "alt.tv.twin peaks the trickster author, and viewer mastery" regarding WKLP anxiety:

"Are we experiencing an excruciatingly slow f--k destined to end in a whimper of an orgasm? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. There are worse things in life" - page 64 full of secrets
Hahaha! Thanks Sylvia, :)
Just when you think you're a bit crazy comparing such things, then find out someone already did 25 years ago. Nice!
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Good stuff!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

One word: reCooperate
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

dronerstone wrote:The longest-dragging tease is usually followed by some of the best sex, just to put it in a rather in-your-face way what I believe might've been the motivation behind the 15.5/18 parts involving Dougie-Coop. ;)
Indeed, there can't be any other reason for it. They teased him snapping out of it repeatedly. They had Mike yell at him basically being a voice for the audience. I don't think that is a very creative or innovative idea or concept. Well below the shill set of Lynch/Frost.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

dronerstone wrote:The longest-dragging tease is usually followed by some of the best sex, just to put it in a rather in-your-face way what I believe might've been the motivation behind the 15.5/18 parts involving Dougie-Coop. ;)
Parts 1 and 2 and some of 3 featured real Coop, in the Black Lodge/Zone. So, I'd say 13/18, but still.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

There's another reason for it. Cooper is the most efficient and effective person on the White Lodge side in the series. He was going to wrap this up in 3 eps no matter when he woke up.

This is like when they killed Superman and did an ectended storyline with 4 replacement Supermen and the Justice League trying to work without him but it didn't work out so we get a huge storyline that culminates in the destruction of Coast City... but then Clark gets out of kryptonian hibernation and gathers all the good guys and beats the enemy in like, 4 issues.

While Cooper's been missing and recovering, all the other good guys have been working. But they work much slowly without him and miss a lot. So we know what A World Without Dale Cooper is really like. That, and watching him build relationships in LV while recovering, and seeing the effect just his presence has on people, was the point of dragging this out.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

sylvia_north wrote:
Ragnell wrote:But hey, what role will the ancient key to the hotel room have?!
My wild guess is there will be a vortex behind the green door James was investigating, the key will open the door. The sound Bushnell hears will guide him.

Yeah I'm glad we had to wait for Cooper, too. Payoff worth it.
For as unpredictable as the show was, apart from Dougie antics, the finale was pretty predictable.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03