When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby yaxomoxay » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Low Entropy wrote:I had my hopes that the indicated (spoiler) scene would mean that Cooper will have more of a mind in later episodes, but I agree, his movements are very Dougie-like, almost as if he is led by "the other person", so I'm in doubt now.


Spoiler:
We know that he drives, and we also see a gov't looking car in the spoiled scene.
I also don't think that he moves like Dougie; Dougie visibly moves his shoulders quite a bit, in the spoiled scene he's just slow as the other character probably due to the way they want the scene (dramatic).

I am just not convinced that the other person is Laura.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
crazyscottishguy
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 am

Re: When do you think will

Postby crazyscottishguy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 pm

yaxomoxay wrote:
Low Entropy wrote:I had my hopes that the indicated (spoiler) scene would mean that Cooper will have more of a mind in later episodes, but I agree, his movements are very Dougie-like, almost as if he is led by "the other person", so I'm in doubt now.


Spoiler:
We know that he drives, and we also see a gov't looking car in the spoiled scene.
I also don't think that he moves like Dougie; Dougie visibly moves his shoulders quite a bit, in the spoiled scene he's just slow as the other character probably due to the way they want the scene (dramatic).

I am just not convinced that the other person is Laura.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I think Mr C. will try to pass off as Dale Cooper and come to TP. And Dougie/Cooper will end up in TP as well, somehow.
We saw in the 1st making of trailer that a bunch of FBI agents swarm in the town, so i guess they will be looking for evil Coop.
My guess is that in the finale one of them will die but we won't know which one since they both look the same.
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby yaxomoxay » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:54 pm

crazyscottishguy wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Low Entropy wrote:I had my hopes that the indicated (spoiler) scene would mean that Cooper will have more of a mind in later episodes, but I agree, his movements are very Dougie-like, almost as if he is led by "the other person", so I'm in doubt now.


Spoiler:
We know that he drives, and we also see a gov't looking car in the spoiled scene.
I also don't think that he moves like Dougie; Dougie visibly moves his shoulders quite a bit, in the spoiled scene he's just slow as the other character probably due to the way they want the scene (dramatic).

I am just not convinced that the other person is Laura.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I think Mr C. will try to pass off as Dale Cooper and come to TP. And Dougie/Cooper will end up in TP as well, somehow.
We saw in the 1st making of trailer that a bunch of FBI agents swarm in the town, so i guess they will be looking for evil Coop.
My guess is that in the finale one of them will die but we won't know which one since they both look the same.


That would be a bit cheesy, however this season anything could happen.
On the other hand,
Spoiler:
If I am wrong and the other person is Laura as most people think, then it makes no sense that they go hand in hand visit the Palmer's house



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baxter
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby baxter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:41 pm

I rewatched the trailers and found that it is actually impossible to tell which Coop we're looking at it any scene. I haven't watched the leaked scenes, but I assume its similarly difficult.
User avatar
Xavi
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 am

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby Xavi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:19 am

When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Major Briggs' message points to a place and a moment where and when (two or three days from the story's "now" ) they (us viewers) will witness "two Coopers." I guess it will be sen-sa-tio-nal ...
User avatar
LostInTheMovies
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby LostInTheMovies » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 am

Structurally speaking, The Return has now established itself as a show *about* Cooper being trapped in Dougie Jones' place with difficulty communicating and (from all appearances) remembering who he is and understanding his surroundings. (I mean, it's obviously about a lot of other stuff too, but that's the core narrative most directly involving the protagonist.)

In that sense, a switch "back to Cooper" would have made more sense in ep4 or 5 rather than in ep13 or 14. At that point, Dougie/Coop could still have been a tangent/subplot but at this point it's not anymore - it's the "who killed Laura Palmer?" of Twin Peaks. And we all know how Lynch/Frost feel about revealing that before the show was over.

My prediction is the earliest "Dougie" recovers some memories and functionality beyond the most basic is at the end of Part 16, just before we begin the two-hour finale a week later. And even then maybe he's only groggy, half-aware. And I wont' be shocked if he never comes back to being Cooper except in a back in the Lodge/after death type of scenario.

Of course, structurally speaking, Lynch has also made several films which take radical turns around the third-act, leaving plenty of time to explore that twist, so who know! That said, those radical turns usually make the narrative *more* perplexing and disorienting, not less so I'm skeptical we'll get some "snap back, now we're on the main track" moment in ep13.
User avatar
LostInTheMovies
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: When do you think will

Postby LostInTheMovies » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:40 am

yaxomoxay wrote:
Low Entropy wrote:I had my hopes that the indicated (spoiler) scene would mean that Cooper will have more of a mind in later episodes, but I agree, his movements are very Dougie-like, almost as if he is led by "the other person", so I'm in doubt now.


Spoiler:
We know that he drives, and we also see a gov't looking car in the spoiled scene.
I also don't think that he moves like Dougie; Dougie visibly moves his shoulders quite a bit, in the spoiled scene he's just slow as the other character probably due to the way they want the scene (dramatic).

I am just not convinced that the other person is Laura.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



Spoiler:
Are we talking about the thing on TMZ years ago (and if we're not please tell me, so I'll race from reading these spoilers as quickly as possible)? I mean, in a show where there's been 3, maybe 4, semi-distinct characters spun-off from Cooper yet they are all fundamentally linked to his identity (there's even the implication the "real" Dougie was manufactured from Cooper's material), what does it mean to say the character played by Sheryl Lee is/isn't Laura? I'm pretty sure that Lee would not be in the scene if the character wasn't somehow a manifestation of Laura, even if the character herself is not conscious of this connection.
User avatar
The Gazebo
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: Norway

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby The Gazebo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 am

LostInTheMovies wrote:In that sense, a switch "back to Cooper" would have made more sense in ep4 or 5 rather than in ep13 or 14. At that point, Dougie/Coop could still have been a tangent/subplot but at this point it's not anymore - it's the "who killed Laura Palmer?" of Twin Peaks. And we all know how Lynch/Frost feel about revealing that before the show was over.


There are pros and cons of this approach. To be a bit negative, it's difficult getting too engaged in a catatonic character with limited abilities to express himself. And it seems like help from the Lodge is going to keep him out of harm's way until the last few episodes. While the original mystery had multiple, human suspects, this show is a lot more based on supernatural villains.

Now, on the plus side, if I'm not mistaken, Lynch/Frost wanted the central mystery to (eventually) fade into the background. In this sense, they have succeeded this season. I'm more intrigued by events in Twin Peaks and Buckhorn than by Cooper's story.
Low Entropy
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby Low Entropy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am

Spoiler:
Anyone else remember seeing a similar video to the one by TMZ but shot from a different angle? In it it looked as if Cooper paused after each step - which makes me think it could be Dougie.
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 1086
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby Soolsma » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 am

Wondering why I find mentions of Dougie snapping back to Cooper during
Spoiler:
Part 15.
everywhere on the web.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
User avatar
raltenbach
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:19 am

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby raltenbach » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 am

Cooper will snap out of it before Rocklove ships the Owl Cave rings.
User avatar
crazyscottishguy
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 am

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby crazyscottishguy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Image

Is this Dougie or Mr. C :?:
anthoto1
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby anthoto1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:32 pm

crazyscottishguy wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


Is this Dougie or Mr. C :?:


You may need to put this in spoiler mode but :

Spoiler:
Definitely Cooper to me.
User avatar
crazyscottishguy
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 am

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby crazyscottishguy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:43 pm

anthoto1 wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


Is this Dougie or Mr. C :?:


You may need to put this in spoiler mode but :

Spoiler:
Definitely Cooper to me.


I don't think it's a spoiler. It was in the Showtime trailer...i mean it's been out there for 3 months
anthoto1
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Postby anthoto1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:49 pm

crazyscottishguy wrote:
anthoto1 wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


Is this Dougie or Mr. C :?:


You may need to put this in spoiler mode but :

Spoiler:
Definitely Cooper to me.


I don't think it's a spoiler. It was in the Showtime trailer...i mean it's been out there for 3 months


I don't personnally mind but some people here don't want anything to do with teasers. :?

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests