When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Low Entropy wrote:I had my hopes that the indicated (spoiler) scene would mean that Cooper will have more of a mind in later episodes, but I agree, his movements are very Dougie-like, almost as if he is led by "the other person", so I'm in doubt now.
Spoiler:
We know that he drives, and we also see a gov't looking car in the spoiled scene.
I also don't think that he moves like Dougie; Dougie visibly moves his shoulders quite a bit, in the spoiled scene he's just slow as the other character probably due to the way they want the scene (dramatic).

I am just not convinced that the other person is Laura.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Re: When do you think will

Post by crazyscottishguy »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Low Entropy wrote:I had my hopes that the indicated (spoiler) scene would mean that Cooper will have more of a mind in later episodes, but I agree, his movements are very Dougie-like, almost as if he is led by "the other person", so I'm in doubt now.
Spoiler:
We know that he drives, and we also see a gov't looking car in the spoiled scene.
I also don't think that he moves like Dougie; Dougie visibly moves his shoulders quite a bit, in the spoiled scene he's just slow as the other character probably due to the way they want the scene (dramatic).

I think Mr C. will try to pass off as Dale Cooper and come to TP. And Dougie/Cooper will end up in TP as well, somehow.
We saw in the 1st making of trailer that a bunch of FBI agents swarm in the town, so i guess they will be looking for evil Coop.
My guess is that in the finale one of them will die but we won't know which one since they both look the same.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

crazyscottishguy wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Spoiler:

I think Mr C. will try to pass off as Dale Cooper and come to TP. And Dougie/Cooper will end up in TP as well, somehow.
We saw in the 1st making of trailer that a bunch of FBI agents swarm in the town, so i guess they will be looking for evil Coop.
My guess is that in the finale one of them will die but we won't know which one since they both look the same.
That would be a bit cheesy, however this season anything could happen.
On the other hand,
Spoiler:
If I am wrong and the other person is Laura as most people think, then it makes no sense that they go hand in hand visit the Palmer's house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I rewatched the trailers and found that it is actually impossible to tell which Coop we're looking at it any scene. I haven't watched the leaked scenes, but I assume its similarly difficult.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Major Briggs' message points to a place and a moment where and when (two or three days from the story's "now" ) they (us viewers) will witness "two Coopers." I guess it will be sen-sa-tio-nal ...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Structurally speaking, The Return has now established itself as a show *about* Cooper being trapped in Dougie Jones' place with difficulty communicating and (from all appearances) remembering who he is and understanding his surroundings. (I mean, it's obviously about a lot of other stuff too, but that's the core narrative most directly involving the protagonist.)

In that sense, a switch "back to Cooper" would have made more sense in ep4 or 5 rather than in ep13 or 14. At that point, Dougie/Coop could still have been a tangent/subplot but at this point it's not anymore - it's the "who killed Laura Palmer?" of Twin Peaks. And we all know how Lynch/Frost feel about revealing that before the show was over.

My prediction is the earliest "Dougie" recovers some memories and functionality beyond the most basic is at the end of Part 16, just before we begin the two-hour finale a week later. And even then maybe he's only groggy, half-aware. And I wont' be shocked if he never comes back to being Cooper except in a back in the Lodge/after death type of scenario.

Of course, structurally speaking, Lynch has also made several films which take radical turns around the third-act, leaving plenty of time to explore that twist, so who know! That said, those radical turns usually make the narrative *more* perplexing and disorienting, not less so I'm skeptical we'll get some "snap back, now we're on the main track" moment in ep13.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: When do you think will

Post by LostInTheMovies »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Are we talking about the thing on TMZ years ago (and if we're not please tell me, so I'll race from reading these spoilers as quickly as possible)? I mean, in a show where there's been 3, maybe 4, semi-distinct characters spun-off from Cooper yet they are all fundamentally linked to his identity (there's even the implication the "real" Dougie was manufactured from Cooper's material), what does it mean to say the character played by Sheryl Lee is/isn't Laura? I'm pretty sure that Lee would not be in the scene if the character wasn't somehow a manifestation of Laura, even if the character herself is not conscious of this connection.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

LostInTheMovies wrote:In that sense, a switch "back to Cooper" would have made more sense in ep4 or 5 rather than in ep13 or 14. At that point, Dougie/Coop could still have been a tangent/subplot but at this point it's not anymore - it's the "who killed Laura Palmer?" of Twin Peaks. And we all know how Lynch/Frost feel about revealing that before the show was over.
There are pros and cons of this approach. To be a bit negative, it's difficult getting too engaged in a catatonic character with limited abilities to express himself. And it seems like help from the Lodge is going to keep him out of harm's way until the last few episodes. While the original mystery had multiple, human suspects, this show is a lot more based on supernatural villains.

Now, on the plus side, if I'm not mistaken, Lynch/Frost wanted the central mystery to (eventually) fade into the background. In this sense, they have succeeded this season. I'm more intrigued by events in Twin Peaks and Buckhorn than by Cooper's story.
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

Spoiler:
Anyone else remember seeing a similar video to the one by TMZ but shot from a different angle? In it it looked as if Cooper paused after each step - which makes me think it could be Dougie.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Wondering why I find mentions of Dougie snapping back to Cooper during
Spoiler:
Part 15.
everywhere on the web.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
raltenbach
Roadhouse Member

Post by raltenbach »

Cooper will snap out of it before Rocklove ships the Owl Cave rings.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Is this Dougie or Mr. C :?:
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

crazyscottishguy wrote:
Spoiler:
You may need to put this in spoiler mode but :
Spoiler:
Definitely Cooper to me.
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

anthoto1 wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Definitely Cooper to me.
I don't think it's a spoiler. It was in the Showtime trailer...i mean it's been out there for 3 months
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

crazyscottishguy wrote:
anthoto1 wrote:
crazyscottishguy wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Definitely Cooper to me.
I don't think it's a spoiler. It was in the Showtime trailer...i mean it's been out there for 3 months
I don't personnally mind but some people here don't want anything to do with teasers. :?