When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by Low Entropy »

I first thought the "Dougie" thing would last one or two episodes. Then some assumed it would end when Ike The Spike attacks Cooper, but it didn't happen. Now I fear we won't get our Cooper back until the final episodes, or even the final moments. Some even said that even after the change, Cooper will stay with Janey-E and Sonny Jim and live a domestic life from then on. This would be the worst ending for me.
So, what do you think? Will we get back our old Cooper anytime soon?
Tony Franciosa

Re: When will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by Tony Franciosa »

I'm not expecting to see the "real" Cooper ever again. He's going to be completely changed from his time in the Black Lodge and will likely never be the same man again.

That said, I expect him to make his way back to normalcy somewhat and return to Twin Peaks. I think it's getting close.

Clearly Lynch and Frost decided they wanted to make this season somewhat about Coop's journey back to himself. I wasn't particularly interested in seeing old Coop and Harry living it up in Twin Peaks like old buddies just waiting to solve another murder. They made a challenging choice with the character and I think it's telling a stronger story for it.
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by Low Entropy »

I should specify: with "old" Cooper I didn't mean "Cooper 1990" but FBI Agent Dale Cooper who stayed 25 Years in the Lodge, but had a functioning mind. Unless, as some said, the stay in the Red Room / Lodge had already numbed his brain before changing to "Dougie".
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: When will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by The Gazebo »

Tony Franciosa wrote:I'm not expecting to see the "real" Cooper ever again. He's going to be completely changed from his time in the Black Lodge and will likely never be the same man again.

That said, I expect him to make his way back to normalcy somewhat and return to Twin Peaks. I think it's getting close.

Clearly Lynch and Frost decided they wanted to make this season somewhat about Coop's journey back to himself. I wasn't particularly interested in seeing old Coop and Harry living it up in Twin Peaks like old buddies just waiting to solve another murder. They made a challenging choice with the character and I think it's telling a stronger story for it.
Is it at all realistic that he can contribute on a somewhat normal level, though? I mean, he has been out of the lodge for about 4-5 days, and unless the show fast-forwards, we're only looking at about 4-5 more days before the final episode. In any "normal" sense, he would have been wheeled off to the nearest institution for a lengthy recuperation.

One possible solution: Back into the lodge, and re-enter the world in a much more sane state. That moment could possibly happen in the next few episodes.
Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

Maybe Dougie will killed and Cooper will be a ghost.
Nothing would surprise me at this point, it's just sad because the rest of the story with the exception of Jim Belushi is good.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

He'll need to be back at some point for the show to deliver. It wouldn't make sense scenaristically and dramatically otherwise.
Spoiler:
The rumors say he'll be back around episode 13. I guess the last 6 episodes will play as a third act of the return, as the dark forces threaten Twin Peaks, he'll be back there at its best for things to get back to normal
Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Post by Andromedeaux »

The lodge has the effect of splitting you into parts, that is if you have "imperfect courage" by the words of Hawk. So Cooper was split when entering the lodge, because he was quite flawed and fearful in those scenes in the last episode when confronting his evil part. I imagine that he won't act like his old self until the two unite again - I don't think this will necessarily be one Coop killing the other. Both Good Cooper and Bad Cooper are pretty devoid of personality if you ask me. It's almost as if they are less than the sum of their parts. The sum of their parts refers to the Coop we knew in the original series, a guy so full of intelligence and personality.

Dougie was manufactured (cloned?) for the reason of being a physical host to the Good coop who was trapped in an immaterial world where time seems to work backwards, but he still ages. This is the reason we don't see bullet wounds on Dougie in Ep. 10.

A related theory: the reason Laura is "the one" is that she is able to reconcile the two polar parts of herself and remain whole. This is all very Jungian. I think in dreams we are often confronted with something evil and terrifying that is really just a part of our psyche. This leads to a split and neuroses, according to Jung. I'm guessing this has all been presented on these boards already but I'm new so apologies if I'm regurgitating someone else's thoughts.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Because one of the Showtime bigwigs said something about the show being about "Cooper's journey back to Twin Peaks" I don't think he will be back until the very end.
Shadowgirl

Post by Shadowgirl »

I think it will be by the end of the show but I am not sure Twin Peaks will be the same.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Someone here said there was a rumor he comes back in part 12. I have no idea if that's true, but if he doesn't come back in part 12 I'll be disappointed.

I think he HAS to come back well before the end to set up a fight with his Doppleganger, but I also think good Coop will have supernatural powers at that point with the assistance of the lodge, so they will be on equal footing.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

I think real Coop will be back as soon as Mr. C is either killed or pulled back into the lodge. I don't think they can both exist as a "normal" person in this world.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Jerry Horne wrote:
:lol: Kubrick's work was genius.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

BigEd wrote:I think real Coop will be back as soon as Mr. C is either killed or pulled back into the lodge. I don't think they can both exist as a "normal" person in this world.
I hope not! I want to see a battle of wits between a man and his shadow!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Manwith wrote:
BigEd wrote:I think real Coop will be back as soon as Mr. C is either killed or pulled back into the lodge. I don't think they can both exist as a "normal" person in this world.
I hope not! I want to see a battle of wits between a man and his shadow!
IIRC, I think we saw that in episode 29. Coop agreed to give Doppyganger his soul in exchange for Annie's life, but Bob trumped him. Did I remember that correctly?