List of all the unsolved mysteries (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Re: List of all the unsolved mysteries (SPOILERS)

Post by DoppelBocker »

Is it due to the sheer amount of questions or fact people just listing the questions out?
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

"Two birds, one stone" thought: Solve Laura's murder; defeat whatever cosmic evil they refer to as "Judy."

Thus, the "Richard and Linda" scene would coincide with Cooper's last attempt to do both: bringing Laura Palmer back to her (now-possessed) mother.

It's a naive motivation. If Judy is a repository for all pain and sorrow, she'll certainly always exist. So will beauty.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

2 birds 1 stone: Presumably he would've probably made the 2 birds 1 stone comment to Cole sometime between his camping trip with Major Brigg's and the last episode of S2 but by then Laura's murder had already been solved... Cole must be misremembering Coop's last words to him or the plan with him, briggs, and coop probably is some alternate universe/timeline (one be delved into more fully if a S4) that he's tapped into from a dream he's had. Assuming this is the case then I can make sense of your explanation quite well. Coops attempt to accomplish killing 2 birds with 1 stone definitely seems to be bringing Laura back to now posessed mother as you mention as a naive motivation.

Some additional thoughts on other questions:
-Narrative of Episode 3 Repeat: Unlike beginning of season Coop left in future, he now leaving in past. He actually is "finding laura" this time instead of dealing with future first (white lodge entitities guiding coop along through all this play out parts they constrained from playing out for whatever reason).

-Linda: Diane is replaced by Linda at the Motel (seems be an alternate version of herself on different timeline as opposed to tulpa or doppleganger). Her and Richard having issues which why covers his face and leaves note next day...

-Richard: Cooper doesn't get replaced by Richard for some reason perhaps because he's got a tulpa of himself (one with Janey-E) anchoring him to other reality all I can come up with. Somehow, his tulpa may have leached Coop's good qualities from him making him more like Mr. C once again which why he's acting different all of a sudden in last episode.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

DoppelBocker wrote:2 birds 1 stone: Presumably he would've probably made the 2 birds 1 stone comment to Cole sometime between his camping trip with Major Brigg's and the last episode of S2 but by then Laura's murder had already been solved... Cole must be misremembering Coop's last words to him or the plan with him, briggs, and coop probably is some alternate universe/timeline (one be delved into more fully if a S4) that he's tapped into from a dream he's had. Assuming this is the case then I can make sense of your explanation quite well. Coops attempt to accomplish killing 2 birds with 1 stone definitely seems to be bringing Laura back to now posessed mother as you mention as a naive motivation.

Some additional thoughts on other questions:
-Narrative of Episode 3 Repeat: Unlike beginning of season Coop left in future, he now leaving in past. He actually is "finding laura" this time instead of dealing with future first (white lodge entitities guiding coop along through all this play out parts they constrained from playing out for whatever reason).

-Linda: Diane is replaced by Linda at the Motel (seems be an alternate version of herself on different timeline as opposed to tulpa or doppleganger). Her and Richard having issues which why covers his face and leaves note next day...

-Richard: Cooper doesn't get replaced by Richard for some reason perhaps because he's got a tulpa of himself (one with Janey-E) anchoring him to other reality all I can come up with. Somehow, his tulpa may have leached Coop's good qualities from him making him more like Mr. C once again which why he's acting different all of a sudden in last episode.
I too am not clear on what happened in Part 17,18 clearly so I am just going to put Part 17,18 as the questions themselves
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I don't have subtitles. Did anyone with subtitles catch Cole's rendition of the name of Judy from ancient times? Jou Dei, Djoudai? Jowdae?
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Novalis wrote:I don't have subtitles. Did anyone with subtitles catch Cole's rendition of the name of Judy from ancient times? Jou Dei, Djoudai? Jowdae?
Jowday
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Panapaok wrote:
Novalis wrote:I don't have subtitles. Did anyone with subtitles catch Cole's rendition of the name of Judy from ancient times? Jou Dei, Djoudai? Jowdae?
Jowday
Thank you!
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

by krishnaspace
I too am not clear on what happened in Part 17,18 clearly so I am just going to put Part 17,18 as the questions themselves
I like your list of questions. My method slightly different; just backtracking through various scenes and then creating a cluster of questions around each general point for the last episodes... If there's one thing that's easier to ascertain than answers is just trying to come up with questions in general imo.

I will say a big main thing that I think really has confused a lot of people watching is how coop kept teleporting through our reality after arriving at the sherriff's station. Who was guiding him along? The dreamer, one armed man, the fireman? I'm gonna guess the dreamer (whether the dreamer is being influenced by white lodge entities while choosing to follow certain path by self guess is up for interpretation).

Coop wasn't ever back entirely this season at all it seems. His real self is the dreamer. That explains what he's been up to the last 25 years being gone from earth and how it's affected him.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

DoppelBocker wrote:Coop wasn't ever back entirely this season at all it seems. His real self is the dreamer. That explains what he's been up to the last 25 years being gone from earth and how it's affected him.
This is almost beginning to make sense to me. After all, what WAS he doing over a period of time like 25 years being stuck in the Lodge??

He'd have been... dreaming?

Often those dreams would contain elements of his past -- fragmented and often skewed context, picking up bits of recollected Peaks life... but also past investigations his career w/ the FBI brought to his attention. Criminal activity as far away as Vegas that circulated among his peers, could generate points of reference which insert themselves into his dreams, and he fashions random scenarios from these bits that themselves take on at times some linear storylike direction. Even in sleep or altered state in the Lodge parts of his mind anticipating what he'd be doing once he was back in his world.

Familiar faces like Carl Rodd's are surrounded with anecdotal projections, positioning such people in "What if?" situations but don't quite get right the location of Fat Trout as some noticed.. The unfamiliar faces he hadn't known in TP such as Red, could be a composite of personality traits he'd observed just about anywhere. With Tammy Preston I have the most difficulty reconciling this notion -- given how often Albert and Gordon and Diane figured into this season, whom he'd known a while; and in TSHOTP indicates Preston herself had never met Cooper -- then I'd have to speculate whether collective consciousness intersected his dreaming with others' dreams (as his did in TP with Laura's: "We had the same dream.") Meaning, intersected in a way so others' dreams or references like an Agent Tammy or a "Buella" or Jack persona would appear; some fleetingly and some continually.

But that's really stretching it. Including how Janey-E became a prominent player in his dreams, unless the Real Diane did actually have a half-sister and Dale's dream-activity worked her into his dream-narrative. Other things like the big Box in Part 1 get even thornier to reconcile with this idea. I'm willing to test it against the many scenes though and see how it fits~
cgs027
RR Diner Member

Post by cgs027 »

Cipher wrote:"Two birds, one stone" thought: Solve Laura's murder; defeat whatever cosmic evil they refer to as "Judy."

Thus, the "Richard and Linda" scene would coincide with Cooper's last attempt to do both: bringing Laura Palmer back to her (now-possessed) mother.

It's a naive motivation. If Judy is a repository for all pain and sorrow, she'll certainly always exist. So will beauty.
Yep, and I'm still super hazy on this either way. If Laura did NOT die in the original timeline, as some are proposing, is Sarah even possessed? I thought the idea was that the loss of her daughter (and by extension, husband) made her full of garmonbozia for an outside entity to feast on. Or are we saying the frog-bug crawled into Sarah's mouth as a child and was always there?

Likewise, in the alternate reality, if Coop already knew it was likely things were going to change (and had proof of such by the fact that Diane referred to him as Richard and herself as Linda, while Carrie Page wasn't familiar with the name Laura Palmer and worked at a random diner in Texas) -- why the heck would he take an epic road trip to Twin Peaks assuming that Sarah Palmer would magically be living in her old house still?
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

by Framed_Angel
Often those dreams would contain elements of his past -- fragmented and often skewed context, picking up bits of recollected Peaks life... but also past investigations his career w/ the FBI brought to his attention. Criminal activity as far away as Vegas that circulated among his peers, could generate points of reference which insert themselves into his dreams, and he fashions random scenarios from these bits that themselves take on at times some linear storylike direction. Even in sleep or altered state in the Lodge parts of his mind anticipating what he'd be doing once he was back in his world.
My theory:
Dreamer: As the dreamer, he's drifted too far out beyond physical reality becoming more dispersed in time/space reliving moments of his past going down forgotten corridors like a ghost confined to walking the same routes over and over again. This dreamer is somehow attached to our physical realm like a ghost is but doesn't have to play by the same rules as the dreamer is able to manifest a physical emanation to appear in physical realm.

Dreamer relating to Vegas stuff: I don't think the dreamer is experiencing the Dougie Jones life until episode 3 when the 25 yr time period has ended and the emanation to displace Mr. C instead gets diverted into Dougie Jones (a tulpa created from Mr. C as opposed to tulpa of good coop reason unaware perhaps). This explains why good coop able know who Janey-E and Sonny Jim are instantly in episode 16 upon waking (the dreamer's been watching whole time from another place in time/space like us watching a TV show from past) but only knows them back to episode .

Projections from The Dreamer (emanation=actual self that not totally tied back onto physical plane that not same as tulpa): I'm guessing based on how good Coop acted so different in episode 18, it seems that creating a projection of oneself (a tulpa) drains individuale charicteristics away from the central source (the dreamer) making it more dispersed losing certain personal qualities while tulpa exists... Perhaps Jeffries tried this one too many times in too many realities so is pretty much fully gone now?
Familiar faces like Carl Rodd's are surrounded with anecdotal projections, positioning such people in "What if?" situations but don't quite get right the location of Fat Trout as some noticed.. The unfamiliar faces he hadn't known in TP such as Red, could be a composite of personality traits he'd observed just about anywhere. With Tammy Preston I have the most difficulty reconciling this notion -- given how often Albert and Gordon and Diane figured into this season, whom he'd known a while; and in TSHOTP indicates Preston herself had never met Cooper -- then I'd have to speculate whether collective consciousness intersected his dreaming with others' dreams (as his did in TP with Laura's: "We had the same dream.") Meaning, intersected in a way so others' dreams or references like an Agent Tammy or a "Buella" or Jack persona would appear; some fleetingly and some continually.
Dreamer Connection Other People: A pool of collective consciousness we return to in the afterlife is an aspect of Hinduism that Lynch seems to adhere to. Some modern thinkers have thought of reality as simply our own conscious realization but that an individual is merely like a raindrop falling into the ocean before it's dispersed into it's universal totality. Coop is still anchored like a ghost to his past self; he seems to be appearing in Gordon Cole's dreams to an extent and even with Laura in FWWM. Before the end of Season 2, it appears Laura was a dreamer while coop a gifted human able to connect with her before his demise at end of S2. It seems only people really able to access initially are ones he close to in earthly life before disappeared in S2. Agent Preston he hasn't connected to yet it seems but may through her interactions with Gordon Cole or when dreamer loses all sense of individual identity and is fully dispersed into ocean of collective consciousness (but by then no longer Coop).

Dreamer Connection with Alternate Realities: The number 6 telephone pole seems to be a landmark for each reality that lodge spirits identify with as they travel through our plane (perhaps circuit box at convenience store central hub?). I think what can be concluded is that a landmark that is similar across multiple realities is considered an ideal reference point.

Dreamer Connection to Lodge Spirits: One interesting thing I picked up on in episode 17 and 18 is that as Coop or Mr. C drive alongside telephone poles, an electrical energy seems to follow them (spirits seem drawn to follow emanations from a dreamer, tulpas, or dopplegangers on an earthly plane it seems besides being attracted to certain locations or energy hubs).
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

Just new questions suggestions:

- Who is American Girl ? Is she Ronette Pulaski ?
- What about Josie ? Is she still trapped into the knob ?
- What about the Ghostwood project ? Is it achieved ?

And I think there is a mistake in point 61: this is "Louie" and not "Louis".
(And for me, it is the same character)
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Just wanted to throw something out there.

The fireman says, "Remember 430. Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone."

Now, bear in mind that in the convention of coded conversations in Twin Peaks established by Lynch in FWWM, sometimes the plaintext meaning is not literally enciphered in the coded message, but meant to be inferred from it by being 'notably absent'. The paradigm case for this would be when, during Lil's presentation, Cole covers his face with his splayed fingers and says 'she's my mother's sister's girl.' This is later explained by Chet Desmond to Sam Stanley by reference to 'what's missing in that sentence' (the uncle). In a similar vein I want to draw attention to a subtle, innocuous-seeming thing about what the Fireman says that could turn out to be quite startling in its implications: of the three clauses mentioned above, the full form of the third one (i.e. the phrase which is popularly known) would be 'to kill two birds with one stone'. What has happened to this word 'kill'? Why is it elided like this?

I would claim that the fireman's message, if it is to be taken as instruction and not as prophecy (which is not settled IMO), could also be read as "Remember 430. Richard and Linda. Kill [someone or something, most probably Judy]." People have been looking high and low for 'two birds' and a 'stone' in the narrative and are not having much fun finding things or people that can be allegorised this way. My suggestion would render this unnecessary: it's not what is said in that particular phrase so much as what is missing in it that is important -- in a similar way to Cole's code in FWWM.

It's only an idea, and I can't say I find it completely compelling as the word 'kill' still resonates even in its absence in the phrase 'two birds with one stone', given the right context. Nor, as mentioned above, is it certain that the fireman is telling Cooper what to do; he may simply be indicating something foreseen. It's just a minor morsel offered in the spirit of food for thought.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:So I thought,I'll just make a list of all the unsolved mysteries in the new season upto Part 15.
1.What was the ???????'s message to Cooper regarding 430 etc?
2.We know who owns the Glass Box.What is its purpose?
3.What is the Experiment/Mother?
4.What is the symbol on Mr.C's card that Hawk told Truman he would not comment on?
5.Where do those Co-ordinates lead?
6.Where is Brigg's head?(Physical Head)
7.What really went with Hastings and Ruth Davenport that day(I mean a clear answer which I dont think we may get)?
8.Who killed the Secretary?
9.Where did Laura go?
10.Where is Jeffries if that is Jeffries indeed?

11.What are Jeffries's intentions?Why does he want to be with Bob?
12.What happened with Donna?
13.What is that purple room(Maybe they wont answer that)?
14.How was Dougie created?When he ceased to exist why did he become a gold ball bearing?
15.What is the purpose of the Owl Cave Ring?
16.Why is Cooper a walking vegetable(I think this may be answered in the coming episodes)?
17.Why doesn't Mr.C kill Cooper?
18.Whats up with the 119 family?
19.What does Gordon really know?
20.What did the man in Columbia know?Why was he killed?
21.How did Dougie's ring get inside Brigg's Body?
22.Wtf was that Magic trick that Red performed on Richard?
23.Was the kid who was killed by Richard and the mother any important?Why did Carl Rodd see the Soul leaving(I know him and the log lady have some special abilities)?
What did him seeing that mean?
24.Where is the 4th and last missing page from Laura's Diary?
25.What happened to the Truck Owner who was supposed to meet Andy at 430?
26.What was the thing Diane was supposed to tell Gordon?
27.What is the purpose of the Woodsmen?
28.What is that sound at the Great Northern ?
29.What is Beverly upto?
30.Who was the Girl and Boy in 1956?What happened to the girl?
31.How powerful is Mr.C without Bob?Where did Bob go?
32.Who is Laura really?
33.Who is ??????? and what and where is that place?
34.Why does Bob look like the way he does(I mean a demon in Denim jacket and Jeans.Was he a real person before)?
35.Is Diane Rogue?
36.Why was Briggs 'Hibernating'?
37.Why did Briggs need the co-ordinates?
38.Is something up with Candie?
39.Why did Gordon have a vision of Laura?
40.Whats up with the kids in Twin Peaks?
41.Who is the armpit girl?
42.Where is Audrey?
43.Where and Hows Annie?
44.Who are Richards Parents?
45.What the fuck was going on between Gordon and the French Woman?(I hope that scene was not for sexualizing her)
46.What is wrong with Sarah Palmer?Is there some lodge entity within her?
47.What is going on with Audrey,Billy,Chuck,Tina and that Dwarf?
48.What is Jacoby upto?
49.What were the 2 ladies at the Roadhouse discussing(Part 12)?
50.Why wasn't Gordon investigating the disapperance of Jeffries,Desmond and Cooper all these years?
51.Why didn't Albert disappear?Not like he has to disappear.Is he upto something?
52.Is Sarah Palmer in a loop?
53.Why were shots fired at Big Ed's place and no mention of it in part 13?(Maybe scenes are not in order)
54.Ray says to Mr.C,"There is something inside you that they want".Who are they?
55.Where is the Dutchmans?
56.When is the Tweaks Squad going to Jack Rabbits Palace?
57.Is there some lodge activity at Big Ed's palace near to the end of Part 13?The electric sound plays for just a moment when Ed is looking out of the door
58.Why and How is Monica Belluci playing herself?Is the whole show someone's dream?
59.Who and What is the dreamer?Is is us the viewers?
60.Was that Albert Glitching for a sec after Cole mentions Jeffries's incident?
61.Will we ever know about Louis and her doppleganger?
62.How did Naido land into the woods and for how long was she there?
63.What was the Andy and Lucy footage that Andy saw?Was it future?
64.Who was the drunk guy inside the prison cell?
65.What was inside Sarah Palmer?
66.Who were those 2 girls in the Roadhouse and what were they talking about?(Part 14)
67.Who was the insurance man who came to the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department? Is he working for Lucky 7 Insurance? Why did he want to talk to Sheriff Truman and did he want to speak to Harry or Frank?(Part 1)
69.Why is Naido important? Who are the people who want to kill her and why?
69.Why does Megan (the girl in the Roadhouse) not remember if her uncle was with them when Billy was bleeding out his nose and mouth and when they were cleaning up the blood?
70.What was that device in Argentina?
71.Why is Jeffries a kettle?
72.Who is Judy?
73.What is at Blue pine Mountain?
74.What happened to Becky and why did her husband commit suicide?
75.Where is the real Diane?
76.Where and who is Linda?
77.Is Richard Dead?
78.Is Audrey in a Mental Institution?
79.The fuck happened in Part 17?
80.The fuck happened in Part 18?

I'll be updating this list weekly.If there is something I missed please help me add it.Also if there are some mysteries that have been solved let me know

Color Red indicates a solved Mystery
Color Blue indicates a misinterpreted question.
In my opinion, the following were answered and can be turned red:

Also, on no. 2, I am not sure we know how actually owns the Glass Box. We know DoppelCoop is involved, but whether he is actually the anonymous billionaire is still an open question.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Few proposed additions as I slowly rewatch:

What was the thing in Bill Hastings's trunk?
Who was on the phone with Mr. C in Part 2? I don't think we can take for granted that it's Jeffries, especially since the "I missed you in NY" implies it could be Judy. :shock:
What exactly was DoppelCoop's plan with Phyllis? Did she know about Bill's supernatural excursions? What did she do that Mr. C says followed human nature?
What did Hawk think was going to happen at Glastonbury Grove the night he went there, and why did he think that?