POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

In your opinion, what is the nature of Audrey’s situation in Part 12?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

She is in the “real” world of Twin Peaks.
38%
She is in a coma, and the scene takes place in her head.
19%
She is not in a coma, but she is dreaming.
1%
She is not in a coma or dreaming, but experiencing a psychological delusion.
26%
She is trapped in the Black Lodge.
5%
Audrey and Charlie are acting in or rehearsing for a movie or play (not Twin Peaks)
3%
Other (please explain in thread)
8%

Total votes: 152
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Re: POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation (Spoilers)

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

So when you're trapped in wood, you hang out in a house? Nah.

I hate that theory. :lol:
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Jacob wrote:I think that she's in the real world. And that when she'll finally come out, she'll end being killed by Bad Coop on her way to the Roadhouse, in front of the eyes of their son. Something as cruel and absurd than Fenn's scene with Charlie.
The Roadhouse explodes with Audrey and Big Ed inside, Ruby's glasses go flying into a tree. :lol:

Or, same thing happens, but only it's in the past in another timeline/reality, so Richard was never born. :P

Or, Audrey's doppleganger is Richard's mother and Audrey died in the bank heh
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

sylvia_north wrote:
Jacob wrote:I think that she's in the real world. And that when she'll finally come out, she'll end being killed by Bad Coop on her way to the Roadhouse, in front of the eyes of their son. Something as cruel and absurd than Fenn's scene with Charlie.
The Roadhouse explodes with Audrey and Big Ed inside, Ruby's glasses go flying into a tree. :lol:

Or, same thing happens, but only it's in the past in another timeline/reality, so Richard was never born. :P

Or, Audrey's doppleganger is Richard's mother and Audrey died in the bank heh
I'm still (with some reservation) sticking with my "Schrödinger's Audrey" notion....

Until Part 15, no other character besides her and Charlie had referred to "Audrey Horne" in any way. Even Ben laments that Richard "never really had a father," but doesn't say a word about his mother. I don't recall precisely what Richard said about the picture of FBI Coop in Audrey's possession - I believe he said she "had" the photo. Could be she had it and still does; could be she used to have it, formerly.

I still maintain that Audrey (and Charlie) are unobserved. Each of the last two episodes have brought us closer, but....

Part 7: Bing asks if anyone has seen Billy.
Part 10: Richard is Sylvia and Ben's grandson.
Part 12: Audrey is looking for Billy (whom she's fucking) - unsure if it's the same Billy; but the one Audrey is looking for may be bleeding from the nose and mouth. He was last seen by Tina.
Part 13: Audrey is still looking for Billy.
Part 14: Megan and Sophie are talking about Billy being missing - he was last seen by Megan (with Tina - Tina is Megan's mom), bleeding from the nose and mouth.

^^ these bits tend to suggest that Audrey is at least bumping up against the "real world," in that it's affecting her; but we have no evidence that she is affecting it.

Part 15: Richard confirms that his mom's name is Audrey Horne. We're getting closer to determining Audrey's state/position, but we are not there yet. Remove all the Audrey scenes entirely. No Audrey, no Charlie. Pretend they've never made an appearance. Given what we have in the text, Audrey could either be alive or dead. Nobody is saying that she's *not* in the picture; but nobody is saying she *is*, either. Well, with the Audrey & Charlie scenes back in, nothing really changes. They have never interacted with any other characters (Charlie "calls Tina," but - we only hear one side of the conversation, which could have been mimed; and we have also never seen Tina, we've just heard her mentioned by Audrey, Charlie, and Megan.

One other thing in 15, of course: we finally meet Chuck (who is certifiable). Maybe we've met Billy (Farmer? Drunk?), maybe not - Chuck is the first person spoken of by Audrey (most likely... we are not 100% certain it's the same dude, but he is named Chuck, and he does appear to be certifiable).

I guess the point in this rambling is that we're getting closer. We are getting closer to placing Audrey *in* our world; but she's not there yet. I had previously postulated that in one scenario, she survived the bank explosion, and in the other she did not - this could still be the case (if the SHOTP errata are evidence of multiple timelines rather than deliberate obfuscation - or authorial continuity errors, which I would buy if there were a couple, but there are IMO too many "inaccuracies" for it not to be intentional - Occam's razor suggests that one mistake is a mistake, a dozen mistakes is a pattern) ...the implications being super-interesting: if Audrey lived, even comatose, she bore Richard into this world; and if she died, she did not - I don't know that they're going this way, they very well may not be; but as of right now there is a glimmer of a possibility that somebody, maybe Coop, hell maybe Ben - may need to make a decision that affects the past. Determines finally whether or not Audrey lived past 3/28/89. And of course, if they let her ...um, already have died, then Audrey is gone - but so is Richard.

I know that probably comes across like gibberish. It's logically consistent in my mind, but it might be coming across very wrong. ;)
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Or it could be up to Audrey herself to make the decision. Which would, I think, be much more rewarding, much more respectful of her character. I hate to think of Audrey as a pawn between Good/Bad Coops, Black/White Lodges - even if it meant she died all those years ago, I would be *much* more satisfied if Audrey made the decision.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Audrey is 'trapped in wood'?

'trapped in wood'?

'in wood'?

?

Is this what we've come to?

Lol, I'm kidding.

Of course it's perfectly possible. Drawer-pull Josie sets a precedent for a whole host of things, some probably a lot weirder than this. I don't see how Audrey's 'it's like Ghostwood' comments specifically lead to this idea though, unless the argument is that Audrey-Charlie is Josie's dream.

I'm also sticking with Schrödinger's Audrey, at least until something better presents itself. I can't help feeling though that maybe it's time to cut our losses. I'll be happy if Audrey doesn't wake up as a SodaStream.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

whoisalhedges wrote:Or it could be up to Audrey herself to make the decision. Which would, I think, be much more rewarding, much more respectful of her character. I hate to think of Audrey as a pawn between Good/Bad Coops, Black/White Lodges - even if it meant she died all those years ago, I would be *much* more satisfied if Audrey made the decision.
I would too, and I'm sure her storyline is building towards her making the decision to leave the room no matter WHAT her state is. What I'm starting to think, though, is that the last Audrey scene will be her putting on the coat and walking out the door and we'll never find out if she was in a coma or a psychic dimension or with a psychiatrist or her husband.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Deep Thought wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:There's a couple of other things which could support the Charlie = Mr. C and Billy = Special Agent Cooper theory.

One is the way Charlie talks - he's very robotic and lacking in empathy much like how Mr. C speaks. The other may have been brought up before, but a redditor mentioned it, and I thought it was worth noting. Billy having blood come down his face may be a reference to when DoppleCoop smashed his face in the mirror.
If that redditor was me (different name), I was thinking along the lines of Chuck, not Charlie, being Mr. C. Chuck and Charlie both being nicknames of Charles. "Who are you Charlie"?

The part 15 scene has lots of juicy info to digest too. I love this storyline.
Sorry, what I meant was a redditor thought maybe DoppleCoop bleeding at the time he would've seen Audrey in the hospital had to do with her dream of seeing Billy bleeding.

As for the wood theory, what that person said was that if she's in the wood in the Great Northern or the Roadhouse she would've overheard conversations, so all of these people can still be real. My only thing with that theory is - when would this have happened to her and how? Because she had to have Richard at some point, and DoppleCoop would've been gone by then.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Ragnell wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:Or it could be up to Audrey herself to make the decision. Which would, I think, be much more rewarding, much more respectful of her character. I hate to think of Audrey as a pawn between Good/Bad Coops, Black/White Lodges - even if it meant she died all those years ago, I would be *much* more satisfied if Audrey made the decision.
I would too, and I'm sure her storyline is building towards her making the decision to leave the room no matter WHAT her state is. What I'm starting to think, though, is that the last Audrey scene will be her putting on the coat and walking out the door and we'll never find out if she was in a coma or a psychic dimension or with a psychiatrist or her husband.
I think it will at least be somewhat explained. I feel like Lynch/Frost are aware of how disappointed Audrey fans would be if her story doesn't progress beyond that. Not to say they're only meant to please fans, but you can tell they're trying to give these characters satisfying storylines.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

What's the jail cell inebriated guy's name...? Didn't quite catch it in the credits - is THAT Billy maybe? He's definetely bleeding/drooling and most probably injured.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

dronerstone wrote:What's the jail cell inebriated guy's name...? Didn't quite catch it in the credits - is THAT Billy maybe? He's definetely bleeding/drooling and most probably injured.
He has been credited in both appearances as "Drunk."
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I've only watched the episodes with the Audrey/Charlie scenes once each. I feel this may be a semi-metafictional comment from Lynch similar to the smashing of the TV in FWWM. Charlie's whole appearance and his phone and such are old. They represent old times. Audrey is stuck between staying with Charlie and running out to this Billy, who would be new things and ideas. In the same way, Lynch may have felt that indecision over whether he should be shackled to the way the old series was, or just do what he wants (obviously he's chosen the latter). Just an idea.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Being a psychiatrist i can say that Audrey suffers from delusions. She thinks Charlie is real and her husband. He keeps her constantly prisoner.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

TweetPeak wrote:Being a psychiatrist i can say that Audrey suffers from delusions. She thinks Charlie is real and her husband. He keeps her constantly prisoner.
Could be. My theory has been that she has DID. Now I'm thinking it might just be severe agoraphobia.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

TweetPeak wrote:Being a psychiatrist i can say that Audrey suffers from delusions. She thinks Charlie is real and her husband. He keeps her constantly prisoner.
Cool. 8) Of course, Audrey isn't real (she's a TV show character). Now, who may be suffering from delusions? :lol:

(jk - appreciate your perspective)

.....waiting now to hear what I am suffering from based upon my smart aleck remark.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Youre Just a big lug :mrgreen: