POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

In your opinion, what is the nature of Audrey’s situation in Part 12?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

She is in the “real” world of Twin Peaks.
38%
She is in a coma, and the scene takes place in her head.
19%
She is not in a coma, but she is dreaming.
1%
She is not in a coma or dreaming, but experiencing a psychological delusion.
26%
She is trapped in the Black Lodge.
5%
Audrey and Charlie are acting in or rehearsing for a movie or play (not Twin Peaks)
3%
Other (please explain in thread)
8%

Total votes: 152
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation (Spoilers)

Post by Ragnell »

I was thinking an invisible disability. Some brain damage from the coma that causes motor difficulties, unreliable reaction time, vision impairment, seizures... any number of things that would prevent her from safely driving or really even being safe on her own.

Of course, this is same world where Dougie Jones had a car and drove around on his own.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ragnell wrote:What's surprising me is the lack of empathy. I thought we learned better back in Part 6 about judging the frustrated wives. And we KNOW Audrey. We know she was a purehearted romantic girl who liked to say and do outrageous things to try and get a reaction from her father, and that that covered a desperate pain and a finetuned moral sense.

And here we see her, in this room, worried about a MISSING person, trying to get a reaction from this passionless man. She yells at him, she curses at him, she berates him, she tells him (whether truthfully or not but knowing Audrey it's probably an exaggeration) that she's having an affair, she asks about (divorce?) papers. But he is clearly not bothered at all, doesn't care at all about Billy, doesn't care to move.

For some reason, she needs Charlie to care about something. To go with her. Maybe she can't drive anymore (lingering disability from the coma?). Maybe she is afraid to be alone for some reason. Maybe she WANTS to salvage this marriage like she WANTED a good father and she is trying to get some jndication he gives a damn.

Whatever it is, its clear Audrey's frustration is warranted. She has the higher priority. She has good reason to be upset. We as the audience are supposed to see HER as the reasonable one and be frustrated with her. Its clear she is in an unusually frightening circumstance. She has a dream about him bleeding from the nose and mouth. That is a big deal in Twin Peaks.

But so many fans seem to think she's become a horrible person and an unreasonable, unlikable shrew.
I dunno; I see both Audrey's and Charlie's side (just as I saw both sides of the Frank/Doris relationship, even before the reveal about their son). Bottom line is we really don't have enough information to judge either party, but I definitely related to Charlie's exhaustion and need to finish his work (maybe because I've been working too much lately), and I can't really fault him for not wanting to drop everything to search for his wife's lover (again, I really wonder how perceptions would shift if the gender roles were reversed here). I also didn't see Audrey as a shrew AT ALL; but it is sad to see her in a loveless marriage, having to seek comfort elsewhere, and seeming a lot less joyous than her bubbly teenage self. Totally realistic, but sad.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Ragnell wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:And as far as Audrey specifically: keep in mind that this is a person we last saw at age 18; we're now seeing her 25 years later as a fully-formed middle-aged adult, with all the regret, anger and loss that entails. Are you the person you thought or hoped you'd be at this age, back when you were 18? I'm certainly not. I'm not saying you have to like what L/F did with the character, or that we shouldn't question artistic choices. But I really think, realistically, when you're dealing with seeing teenage characters a quarter of a century later, you need to set expectations WAY to the side, even moreso than with any other aspect of this show.
Putting all of this aside, why are some of us acting as if Audrey's entire personality can be known based upon a single scene where she's clearly engaged in a bitter argument and desperately concerned about finding her missing lover? I hope nobody ever takes video of me after somebody just cut me off in traffic and says "This is Jasper at [AGE REDACTED], folks. He just screams obscenities at cars all day every day." :lol:
What's surprising me is the lack of empathy. I thought we learned better back in Part 6 about judging the frustrated wives. And we KNOW Audrey. We know she was a purehearted romantic girl who liked to say and do outrageous things to try and get a reaction from her father, and that that covered a desperate pain and a finetuned moral sense.

And here we see her, in this room, worried about a MISSING person, trying to get a reaction from this passionless man. She yells at him, she curses at him, she berates him, she tells him (whether truthfully or not but knowing Audrey it's probably an exaggeration) that she's having an affair, she asks about (divorce?) papers. But he is clearly not bothered at all, doesn't care at all about Billy, doesn't care to move.

For some reason, she needs Charlie to care about something. To go with her. Maybe she can't drive anymore (lingering disability from the coma?). Maybe she is afraid to be alone for some reason. Maybe she WANTS to salvage this marriage like she WANTED a good father and she is trying to get some jndication he gives a damn.

Whatever it is, its clear Audrey's frustration is warranted. She has the higher priority. She has good reason to be upset. We as the audience are supposed to see HER as the reasonable one and be frustrated with her. Its clear she is in an unusually frightening circumstance. She has a dream about him bleeding from the nose and mouth. That is a big deal in Twin Peaks.

But so many fans seem to think she's become a horrible person and an unreasonable, unlikable shrew.
Not saying it isn't reasonable in a sense. But, when it's the 15th scene of a wife yelling at her calm, rational husband, it starts to get tedious.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Ragnell wrote:What's surprising me is the lack of empathy. I thought we learned better back in Part 6 about judging the frustrated wives. And we KNOW Audrey. We know she was a purehearted romantic girl who liked to say and do outrageous things to try and get a reaction from her father, and that that covered a desperate pain and a finetuned moral sense.

I dunno; I see both Audrey's and Charlie's side (just as I saw both sides of the Frank/Doris relationship, even before the reveal about their son). Bottom line is we really don't have enough information to judge either party, but I definitely related to Charlie's exhaustion and need to finish his work (maybe because I've been working too much lately), and I can't really fault him for not wanting to drop everything to search for his wife's lover (again, I really wonder how perceptions would shift if the gender roles were reversed here). I also didn't see Audrey as a shrew AT ALL; but it is sad to see her in a loveless marriage, having to seek comfort elsewhere, and seeming a lot less joyous than her bubbly teenage self. Totally realistic, but sad.
Nothing of value to add; I just want to express my appreciation. These two posts exemplify the kind of conversation I was hoping to find after the scene aired. Thank you both for laying it out so concisely. Finding, instead, half my corner of the internet going #slay queen and the other half complaining about shrew complaints (I haven't seen these firsthand - are they mostly on Twitter and FB?) was an alienating experience to say the least.

As for the coma etc theories: I personally find them unlikely, but I'm ready to be surprised, so, whatever. What bothers me the most is that any option except for "they're acting" is not actually preferable to reality... our kid's wrecked no matter what. I'm heartbroken :( I knew positive character development was in limited supply and Bobby and Shelly had hoarded most of it, but still. Seeing Audrey so unhappy stings.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Low Entropy wrote:I assume all of season 3, including this scene, is a dream, but likely not by Audrey. Maybe by Cooper, or maybe it won't ever be revealed.
I think that would be disappointing if everything was a dream.
Only if you view dreaming in a very literal sense, ala Dallas
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Metamorphia wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Low Entropy wrote:I assume all of season 3, including this scene, is a dream, but likely not by Audrey. Maybe by Cooper, or maybe it won't ever be revealed.
I think that would be disappointing if everything was a dream.
Only if you view dreaming in a very literal sense, ala Dallas
this...exactly
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Metamorphia wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:Only if you view dreaming in a very literal sense, ala Dallas
Yes, Dallas! When Agent Jeffries says we live inside a dream, it was not Bobby's he was talking about. (It was Bobby dreaming wasn't it?) He woke up and it went away, right?
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Ragnell wrote: For some reason, she needs Charlie to care about something.
Charlie may have his own problems with perception. He stares at Audrey holding her coat for 5 minutes but is still surprised by it when she puts it on. :D
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

And he doesn't know where they are going even though Audrey already said that they are going to the Roadhouse before or his comment that she already has her jacket as if that was some premature/hasty reaction to a sudden decision to go go out, even though she had said she wanted to go out at the beginning. It's as if he is trying to negate everything she has said/done before and he's brushing off every attempt of her to leave. It seems like he is trying to distract her and hoping that she'll forget her plans to go out and he is surprised that it isn't working.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

A lot of people were expecting that, after the blow by Doc Hayward, Ben Horne go back to his old habits. But no, he stayed the rightful person a became after his nervous breakdown.

Actually, it seems that it is her daughter that looks like as she was in the pilot of the show. The loveless, pain in the ass character, as she said to her father in TSHOTP.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Voided wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:It's a movie set and she is acting.
Charlie addresses her as Audrey. What are the chances of her playing an eponymous character?
I thought about that, but nothing would surprise me in this show.

They are rehearsing a scene and starring in Invitation to Love. :D They don't move because soap opera's have low budgets and drag scenes on to keep costs down.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

Manwith wrote:
They are rehearsing a scene and starring in Invitation to Love. :D They don't move because soap opera's have low budgets and drag scenes on to keep costs down.
Great idea !

But I don't think they curse like Audrey in this kind of shows.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

PsychoFox wrote:
Manwith wrote:
Great idea !

Didn't you hear? Invitation to Love is getting a revival on Showtime!
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Ragnell wrote:
PsychoFox wrote:
Manwith wrote:
Great idea !

Didn't you hear? Invitation to Love is getting a revival on Showtime!
Making Chet a stroke victim for half the revival was a risky move, but I have faith it'll all come together in the end!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

OK then. :shock:

I've decided to extend the running time of this poll. :lol:

It will run for another week. Please be advised that you can edit your vote.

Here's the poll as it was prior to the debut of part 13:
poll_before_part_13.png
poll_before_part_13.png (135.57 KiB) Viewed 10295 times
I'd voted for "real world", but now I'm very tentatively going with "coma".