POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

In your opinion, what is the nature of Audrey’s situation in Part 12?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

She is in the “real” world of Twin Peaks.
38%
She is in a coma, and the scene takes place in her head.
19%
She is not in a coma, but she is dreaming.
1%
She is not in a coma or dreaming, but experiencing a psychological delusion.
26%
She is trapped in the Black Lodge.
5%
Audrey and Charlie are acting in or rehearsing for a movie or play (not Twin Peaks)
3%
Other (please explain in thread)
8%

Total votes: 152
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation (Spoilers)

Post by ThumbsUp »

I do think that Audrey’s situation, Billy, Richard/Linda, the Roadhouse etc are all designed to make us (and the characters) question reality. Like Charlie said, existentialism 101. TP has always been about identity and secret or split existences and the reckoning between them... Laura’s secret life, Leland harbouring Bob, Maddy the lookalike cousin. Evil twins in the Lodge, and then the culmination with the “birth” of Mr. C.

The Return takes that idea to the next level with stuff like tulpas: clones that actually question their existences and purpose in the world. Diane for sure and possibly Audrey.

Anyway, again, not saying she’s a Tulpa, but I think Audrey and Richard and Linda and probably Billy exist in a parallel universe, maybe, where people like Coop and Diane and Laura have different versions of themselves living out different lives. We see all of this with scenes like Coop puzzling why he and Diane are Richard and Linda with the motel note, and of course, when Carrie hears her mother calling for her across dimensions and screams with a terror that suggests an existential explosion and an identity crisis worthy of a blood-curdling shriek.

I do think Audrey’s situation, Billy, and the Roadhouse are all Lynch and Frost’s way of preparing the audience for part 18 and to drive home the existential themes of the entire show.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

I don't buy the Audrey into Ronette theory.

There are good ideas in it, but I think it is too far fetched.

When Audrey got awake, the mirror was not in a lodge fashion, and she was in a kind of hospital dress. She wasn't in the purple world. I don't understand why she would be in another place than the one we met American Girl in episode 3.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Hi all. I just watched this YouTube video entitled "How's Audrey?" and it's pretty interesting. User Kora Kata points out some pretty crazy stuff of how Audrey and Charlie's house/seating arrangement matches that of Coop and LMFAP in the Red Room.

https://youtu.be/-tM81XhzJB0

:shock:
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

ThumbsUp wrote:Hi all. I just watched this YouTube video entitled "How's Audrey?" and it's pretty interesting. User Kora Kata points out some pretty crazy stuff of how Audrey and Charlie's house/seating arrangement matches that of Coop and LMFAP in the Red Room.

https://youtu.be/-tM81XhzJB0

:shock:
Nice find. I'm not sold on the poster's idea that Carrie is some kind of fused version of Laura and Audrey, but it would make an interesting parallel to Coop's merged identities as Richard.

Watching it made me think of two other things - Coop waiting to leave the lodge and Audrey waiting to leave (and not leave) for the Roadhouse and Coop's plunge into non-existence and Audrey's dialogue about not knowing who she was or where she was. Also Carrie's line about trying to keep a clean house reminded me of the first scene with Audrey and Charlie in that office that looked like a hoarder's paradise.
bespincrawler

Post by bespincrawler »

PsychoFox wrote:I don't buy the Audrey into Ronette theory.

When Audrey got awake, the mirror was not in a lodge fashion, and she was in a kind of hospital dress. She wasn't in the purple world. I don't understand why she would be in another place than the one we met American Girl in episode 3.
I was wondering about Audrey being in a hospital gown, and how obviously that would point to her being in an institution of some kind, but couldn't it also be possible that she was wearing a hospital gown because that was the last thing she wearing when she was in a coma after the original series? Like how Diane left the lodge wearing a bathrobe and pajamas, which is the outfit I assume she was wearing the night Doppelcoop trapped her in the lodge. Obviously there are a lot of plot holes to this too, like how could Doppelcoop kidnap and replace Audrey with a tulpa without any of the hospital staff noticing, and the whole Richard situation, but those are also things that I could easily see Lynch explaining away if he wanted to.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

bespincrawler wrote:
PsychoFox wrote:I don't buy the Audrey into Ronette theory.

I was wondering about Audrey being in a hospital gown, and how obviously that would point to her being in an institution of some kind, but couldn't it also be possible that she was wearing a hospital gown because that was the last thing she wearing when she was in a coma after the original series? Like how Diane left the lodge wearing a bathrobe and pajamas, which is the outfit I assume she was wearing the night Doppelcoop trapped her in the lodge. Obviously there are a lot of plot holes to this too, like how could Doppelcoop kidnap and replace Audrey with a tulpa without any of the hospital staff noticing, and the whole Richard situation, but those are also things that I could easily see Lynch explaining away if he wanted to.
I like this idea, but didn't Lucy give Naido the spare bathrobe to change into at the sheriff's station?

And yeah - personally, I think that Audrey is physically in the Lodge or at the Convenience Store or somewhere else (as Diane was), not the hospital, but the loophole in this theory is that no one saw Doppelcoop leave with Audrey.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

The info on basically what Audrey’s original plot line is now out from Frost and reinforced in the upcoming book. Couldn’t talk about it before, but yeah basically Richard robs her and treats her horrribly. Don’t want to go into detail about what she’s doing in life because it’ll be in the book coming out on Tuesday. But with the changes they made it doesn’t make sense with how she ultimately wakes up or is transported to a new reality in the white room.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Audrey Horne wrote:The info on basically what Audrey’s original plot line is now out from Frost and reinforced in the upcoming book. Couldn’t talk about it before, but yeah basically Richard robs her and treats her horrribly. Don’t want to go into detail about what she’s doing in life because it’ll be in the book coming out on Tuesday. But with the changes they made it doesn’t make sense with how she ultimately wakes up or is transported to a new reality in the white room.
If the spoilers hold up from the other thread, like other posters, I can understand why she was upset with whatever they had initially planned for the role and am happy it was rewritten if that's what went down. - Tried looking for a copy of FD today and had no luck, but I'm wondering if I should wait it out and see what spills out next week before buying.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Could be it's another spot where the book vs. new show continuity don't quite match up. When in doubt go by Season 3.

I do hope that if we get a Season 4, Audrey and Laura have central roles. I think it's their due at this point, though I loved S3. Do wish I knew what happened with other widely reported possible scenes re: Audrey.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

I would like to add these thoughts. Looking back on Naido's "history" she first saw Cooper in that mauve room with the furnace and the 15/3 socket. She switched the level, which imo turned the machine from DC to AC-current, that opened the portal to Dougie's world in Rancho Rosa. In a way one could say that Naido sacrificed herself for Cooper; she literally fell for him (through space and time;-) After Naido pulled the level the interior of the mauve room changed, and another woman/lady/girl sat by the fire (furnace). She was credited as "American Girl" and played by Phoebe Augustine, who played "Ronnette Pulaski" in the old series, who also remained in a coma.
Both Diane and Audrey were dearly special for Cooper. These women "set his socks on fire" so to speak (furnace;-). Mr C. on the other hand misused them both, moreover he raped them both. After or during the rape, Mr C "took" Diane to "an old gas station" (above the convenience store?). In a psychological/metaphorical sense such a trauma could split a human psyche; i.e. create a puppet without a true self and without a will on one side, and on the other side the true self remains hidden in the deep down darkness of "non-existence."
In short: Mr C raped both Diane and Audrey, which caused them to live doubles; a "tulpa" and a "true self" hidden from reality. ~ cheers
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

LateReg wrote: And I have always read meta-commentary into her scenes. Nearly all of her dialogue, full of complaints and demands, sounds like a reflection of what she was saying on Twitter. It's very hard not to notice this if you know any of the vague rumors swirling throughout production, though I was hoping it wasn't the case. But now, it seems more evident that it might truly be, and fits in with so many other meta-elements of the show.
I'm quoting myself here because I just watched the first two parts of the bonus disc documentary, and in a conversation between Lynch and Fenn it seems that Sherilyn herself thought that Lynch wrote these scenes with their dispute in mind. She says something along the lines of how her character is just giving Charlie the business like she gave it to Lynch, and she nudges Lynch and says something like, don't think I don't know that's what you're doing. Lynch remains tight lipped about it...but that's how it felt to me while watching, as evidenced by my quote above, and now I really think there's something to it.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Can someone give a quick explanation of what Fenn was complaining about? Was it that she didn't have a bigger part (as I think I read)? What I recall is that she was the one championing Lynch coming back to the show, so it's surprising she would be so self-centered to complain.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

IcedOver wrote:Can someone give a quick explanation of what Fenn was complaining about? Was it that she didn't have a bigger part (as I think I read)? What I recall is that she was the one championing Lynch coming back to the show, so it's surprising she would be so self-centered to complain.
My understanding is that she didn't like the length or content of her part. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but she was supposed to be running a beauty salon and was supposed to have Sylvia's part.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

bowisneski wrote: My understanding is that she didn't like the length or content of her part. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but she was supposed to be running a beauty salon and was supposed to have Sylvia's part.
If she voiced her displeasure publicly, that's pretty classless. What she ended up playing was probably more interesting and mysterious than what Audrey may have been originally slated for, even if it does rob Richard of that connection back to who he is. (It seems Lynch didn't care much about that anyway because when he could have had some development of the character, in the truck ride to the big rock, he chose not to have it.) Audrey's situation is pretty well handled in shorthand with her dance where we are witness to how much time has passed just by how she looks.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Sherilyn said she was crying and shaking when she read what was originally written for Audrey. Based on what Mark Frost said her original story was, I'm thinking being assaulted by her son who was a product of rape is what shook her.