Is anyone else a huge Dougie fan and would be sad to see him gone? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Re: Is anyone else a huge Dougie fan and would be sad to see him gone?

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

The Dougie storyline has dragged on long enough. I won't be sad to see him go, I miss Cooper and it's time for him to wake up. The poor guy can't even express himself, go to the toilet without help or buy his own cherry pie, I don't understand why some people see that as some sort of happy ending. Would you really want him to stay trapped in that confused life - which isn't even his own and which he never chose - for ever? And even if it is sad for Janey-E and Sonny Jim if Cooper wakes up and leaves, he was never really "their" Dougie, he can't be expected to stick around just to maintain their happiness, if it's not what he wants.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:The Dougie storyline has dragged on long enough. I won't be sad to see him go, I miss Cooper and it's time for him to wake up. The poor guy can't even express himself, go to the toilet without help or buy his own cherry pie, I don't understand why some people see that as some sort of happy ending. Would you really want him to stay trapped in that confused life - which isn't even his own and which he never chose - for ever? And even if it is sad for Janey-E and Sonny Jim if Cooper wakes up and leaves, he was never really "their" Dougie, he can't be expected to stick around just to maintain their happiness, if it's not what he wants.
Just a thought which occurs when you realize he just spent 25 years in a cryptic psychic dimension populated by beings who feed on pain and suffering. (And he was likely the best source for snacks there.)

Gaining back his concious memory will be a hell of its own. This stage is a way of easing him into it, which is why he seems so content. He's not comprehending the trauma. When he does wake up he will be forced to comprehend that trauma. It will be painful, it will come with his inherent sense of guilt and duty, and he will never be able to experience this childlike contentment again. So yeah, even though I'll be glad to see Dale recover I am going to be sad for what he loses here.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

For me Dougie is the best of The Return. I see a lot of "where is our beloved Cooper?!" around and I'll sure be thrilled to see him come back to reality but not that I REALLY share this desire to see the good old Cooper back. I mean, as much as I have a lot of doubts about this new Twin Peaks (from the question: is it Twin Peaks at all to the fact that I don't particularly care about the characters or what happens to them), I truly appreciate the Dougie storyline as the most original thing and he is the one character I connect with and feel for.

So will I be sad to see him gone? Well, no ;) He was manufactured in the first place, replaced my Cooper in the second place and he will have to go to give way to the sane Cooper in the final place, even if it happens in the last part. In which case I will not complain but it obviously needs to happen at some point.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
blackcoffeemoonlight

Post by blackcoffeemoonlight »

Looks like Dougie will make it to final scene of final episode at roadhouse
Eating cherry pie and slurping coffee while James serenades him and candy swats flies

End credits

End of series
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i'm definitely a fan of Dougie Jones and i haven't had any problem at all with him taking up so much screen time, quite the opposite.. however, with episode 13 i have arrived at the point where i'm starting to feel that i want him to begin making real progress.

here's a good article, "why Twin Peaks's Dougie Jones is the purest expression of the shows genius"

http://nationalpost.com/entertainment/t ... 78af474cc4
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

He's awful. It is a testament to how good the rest of the show is that I still love it despite this very shitty story line.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Yeah, I'm done with the Dougie Jones stuff. There's a lot of really fantastic elements and moments in that storyline - Dougie's lodge/MIKE visions, Candie & the Mitchums, Sonny Jim's Gym set, Coop crying when he looks at Sonny Jim in the car - but overall it's fairly tedious and repetitive. The same idea being communicated to us over and over and over. I'm curious how I'll feel about it after Season 3 has wrapped up and I revisit it.
Last edited by Snailhead on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Accidental double post
Last edited by Snailhead on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Dougie is glorious.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

#savedougie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

He's one part of this grand work of art. Would we like the Mona Lisa except for that one crazy ear?
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:#savedougie

Where's my steak dinner? :lol: #don'tsavedougie #nadinesandbagdougie
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I watched this video
where the guy expresses an opinion that Dale Cooper will come back really close to the end and the idea behind it is that this will really be such a WOW effect that everybody is going to want a season 4and it will happen again.

I don't know... it's a good theory in.. theory ;) But that's all nice on condition that theshow generally becomes widely appreciated. Otherwise there can be no talk of a season 4. And I'm not so sure about that. It might after all be too... well, I don't wanna evaluate here so let's just say "too... (many things)" to get a really probable continuation on TV.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:#savedougie

Where's my steak dinner? :lol: #don'tsavedougie #nadinesandbagdougie
Wait wait, he made a guy confess. He saw right through him! He was awake!!!!

#savedougie