Connection between TP:TR and Neon Genesis Evangelion (spoilers for both)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Connection between TP:TR and Neon Genesis Evangelion (spoilers for both)

Post by Cappy »

Have any fans of Twin Peaks and Neon Genesis Evangelion noticed any similarities between The Experiment (or "BOB's mom") and Evangelion's Lilith?

For comparison here is Lilith:

And here is The Experiment:

They are both large white creatures. Neither of them has eyes, and from what I can tell neither of them has legs.

Beyond their physical forms, their roles in their respective stories hold some similarities as well. The Experiment is some kind of powerful being that sent BOB, an evil spirit, into the corporeal world. Forces in the world appear to want to trap The Experiment in a glass box, perhaps in an effort to harness it's power.
Spoiler:
Lilith in EVA was some sort of giant alien that spawned all animals (including humans) on earth. Lilith was also trapped by a government agency, and used to power the Evangelion robot units.
It's been a long time since I've seen Evangelion, so I might be fudging the mythos somewhat. But I keep thinking about the End of Evangelion, and how
Spoiler:
Lilith was used to bring about the end of life as we know it on Earth.
The Experiment made a big splash in episode 1, and plays a pivotal role in all Peaks mythology as the creator of BOB. It seems only natural that it re-appear in the series, and will have a big impact before the season concludes. Could BadCoop's pursuit of The Experiment be an attempt to
Spoiler:
bring about the end of the world,
or does Coop just want to control it, and use it to mass produce BOBs and similar beings? I don't completely understand the role of The Experiment, but until more information is given, I am looking to a similar creature in a totally different show for clues.
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Re: Connection between TP:TR and Neon Genesis Evangelion (spoilers for both)

Post by NonStopKnits »

Wonderful post! While I am an anime fan, I haven't ever watched NGE. My boyfriend did say that TPTR really reminded him of it even though he hasn't seen it in a very long time either. Its funny, he doesn't like anime at all, and is not really a Twin Peaks fan on the same level as me. He missed Big Eds scene at the end because he went for a cigarette as soon as they introduced James! :lol:

He asked me weeks to see if anyone had asked that yet and I didn't see any threads and wasn't confident to make my own, he'll like to hear he wasn't the only one to see the similarities.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Yes! And Part 8 in general had a very End of Evangelion feel.

By the way, I made a video comparing the two works here: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gGLWNVG9e3Q
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Yes! And Part 8 in general had a very End of Evangelion feel.

By the way, I made a video comparing the two works here: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gGLWNVG9e3Q
Actually it was your TP/Evangelion video that inspired me to re-watch Evangelion recently!

It's funny, episodes 17-18 of The Return also brought to mind Evangelion. Episode 17's neat and tidy ending (well, the 30 minute mark anyway) felt very much like the overly congratulatory tone of ep. 26 of Evangelion ('Congratulations!'). And episode 18's ambiguous ending, featuring the two main protagonists (seemingly) confronted with their mistakes and/or forced to acknowledge their pasts, isn't too dissamiliar from End of Evangelion's final scene.

Hopefully you'll be doing an updated Peaks/Evangelion comparison video essay that includes The Return, and maybe even the Evangelion Rebuild series?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Cappy wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Yes! And Part 8 in general had a very End of Evangelion feel.

Actually it was your TP/Evangelion video that inspired me to re-watch Evangelion recently!

It's funny, episodes 17-18 of The Return also brought to mind Evangelion. Episode 17's neat and tidy ending (well, the 30 minute mark anyway) felt very much like the overly congratulatory tone of ep. 26 of Evangelion ('Congratulations!'). And episode 18's ambiguous ending, featuring the two main protagonists (seemingly) confronted with their mistakes and/or forced to acknowledge their pasts, isn't too dissamiliar from End of Evangelion's final scene.

Hopefully you'll be doing an updated Peaks/Evangelion comparison video essay that includes The Return, and maybe even the Evangelion Rebuild series?
I hadn't considered it but I might feel compelled if 4.0 (or 3.0+1.0?) ever comes out!