Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

whoisalhedges
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby whoisalhedges » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:31 am

As mentioned, the article is a week and a half old; and the headline is misleading (to the extent that I was surprised it was Vanity Fair). Nevins is totally hedging his bets, not saying much of real substance other than:

Nevins promised that he and Lynch won’t discuss the future of Twin Peaks until the show’s finale, scheduled for Labor Day weekend. He also noted that “Lynch has been in France pretty much since the premiere event we had”

So he "expressed pessimism," yet admits he hasn't (and won't for a bit) spoken to Lynch; meanwhile another SHO bigwig is on the record as saying "the door's always open" to DKL....

IOW, it's the same as it ever was. The chance is > 0, probably < 50%. IF Lynch/Frost have more stories to tell, and IF SHO offers them the budget and creative control they need, and IF the on-screen and behind the camera talent is available - if those conditions are met, the chance is good. And if those conditions are not met, this is the end.

We've pretty much known that story for a good long while now, ever since DKL said never say never.

Like I said, I think the odds aren't good exactly, but there's a chance. I guess we'll see! :lol:
sewhite2000
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 am

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby sewhite2000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 am

I love how you put "express pessimism" in quotes as if I just made that up. Read the article again. The guy's very first words are "I don't think so" when asked if there will be another season.
User avatar
Ashok
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 am
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby Ashok » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:49 am

Well, we were told David Lynch was dropping out of Twin Peaks back in 2015. Never say never, I'm still hopeful for Season 4.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
sewhite2000
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 am

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby sewhite2000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:52 am

I do remember getting a nauseous feeling in my stomach when it appeared Lynch had pulled out of the project. I was like, "Oh, man, we can't have gotten this close, for it to all fall apart!" It's been an emotional roller coaster for me, as I'm sure it has for almost all of you as well. So, I haven't given up hope for a Season Four.
writersblock
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:03 am

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby writersblock » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 am

sewhite2000 wrote:I love how you put "express pessimism" in quotes as if I just made that up. Read the article again. The guy's very first words are "I don't think so" when asked if there will be another season.


It feels like you are taking a lot of comments about this article to heart. He's quoting your quote - which is legitimate in the context of the article... however the article is a complete non event... He says he doesn't think so... then it depends on conversations with Lynch, and then that he is out of the country and they are purposefully not speaking to each other until this run is over. I think he is expressing pessimism as you said... but he seems 100% certain that he's not sure.

I put it down to the fact that he doesn't know whether Lynch wants more or not. He cannot talk about it from a Showtime perspective until they know exactly how much of an impact the show has had - but from an uptake to the viewing platform and critical acclaim it seems to be all very positive. There have been infinitely more postive reviews than negative.

On paper - Showtime would be crazy to close the door on this at the moment. And he doesn't. He is "cautiously pessimistic", about it.

It seems the ball is in Lynch and Frost's court as to whether a conversation about Season Four (irrespective of how that particular line of enquiry would even end) will happen once Episode 18 has aired.

Everyone is playing their cards very close to their chest and Vanity Fair took a one paragraph (at most) quote and tried to create an article about it. And now I have written an almost comparable sized piece about how that was what that article was about.

Not "Fake News" - but definitely a "Slow News Day!"
writersblock
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:03 am

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby writersblock » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 am

sewhite2000 wrote:I do remember getting a nauseous feeling in my stomach when it appeared Lynch had pulled out of the project. I was like, "Oh, man, we can't have gotten this close, for it to all fall apart!" It's been an emotional roller coaster for me, as I'm sure it has for almost all of you as well. So, I haven't given up hope for a Season Four.


Me too. I thought we were still going to get Twin Peaks - but a very diluted one. Thank God we didn't, eh?

Maybe we will walk away from Season Three thinking it was the perfect ending. Maybe we will want to see a Season Four... Exciting times ahead, I think :)
sewhite2000
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 am

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby sewhite2000 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:02 am

writersblock wrote:
sewhite2000 wrote:I love how you put "express pessimism" in quotes as if I just made that up. Read the article again. The guy's very first words are "I don't think so" when asked if there will be another season.


It feels like you are taking a lot of comments about this article to heart. He's quoting your quote - which is legitimate in the context of the article... however the article is a complete non event... He says he doesn't think so... then it depends on conversations with Lynch, and then that he is out of the country and they are purposefully not speaking to each other until this run is over. I think he is expressing pessimism as you said... but he seems 100% certain that he's not sure.

I put it down to the fact that he doesn't know whether Lynch wants more or not. He cannot talk about it from a Showtime perspective until they know exactly how much of an impact the show has had - but from an uptake to the viewing platform and critical acclaim it seems to be all very positive. There have been infinitely more postive reviews than negative.

On paper - Showtime would be crazy to close the door on this at the moment. And he doesn't. He is "cautiously pessimistic", about it.

It seems the ball is in Lynch and Frost's court as to whether a conversation about Season Four (irrespective of how that particular line of enquiry would even end) will happen once Episode 18 has aired.

Everyone is playing their cards very close to their chest and Vanity Fair took a one paragraph (at most) quote and tried to create an article about it. And now I have written an almost comparable sized piece about how that was what that article was about.

Not "Fake News" - but definitely a "Slow News Day!"


A bunch of people were asking what Showtime's feelings were about the show and its chances of renewal. I provided a link to the only quotes from the only official source that I think has been given. No one said gee, thanks. Instead, my link was immediately dismissed by one person as "click baity", and two other people then dismissed it as having no substance whatsoever, when in fact Nevins says the words "I don't think so" when asked about the possibility of renewal. That sounds like substance to me.

I don't care about the article one way or another. I hope it's wrong. But no one else had provided any information or answers to these questions, and my sincere efforts to be helpful were pretty much blocked out to half court. So, I am annoyed by that, if you want to call that taking it personally. Somebody could have said "Thanks for the info, but ..." But nobody did.
User avatar
Pinky
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:21 am

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Postby Pinky » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:14 am

Can't see there being a fourth, but i'm fine if there is if they want to do it. The problem I see is that did they plan for it? Can't help but feel that they wrote this with the intention of this being the end, and it'd be annoying to see a fourth season have to write its way out of a corner. They seem to have written it as an ending; the stakes are very high and it would be very anticlimactic to revert to the small town goings on of Twin Peaks after all this, I really don't think it would work. If Cooper gets (or wants) to remain an FBI agent after this, then it cheapens the scale of the horror he's been through. Cooper's fighting just to keep his soul from annihilation at this point and is no doubt going to have to do something to help fight off an evil that is much, much more than BOB. Unless they're planning to amp it up even more and have a fourth season be a globe-trotting, Experiment-fighting affair with a half-deranged Cooper who only has one foot in this plane of existence, then I think a S4 is a tricky prospect indeed.

I'd be very happy just to trust Frost and Lynch if they decided to do it, I just think they made their decision long ago and it'll probably become apparent over the next few weeks that it was never actually on the cards; any coy remarks from them regarding S4 is them not wanting to give anything of the ending away (saying 'yeah, we'd love to!' suggests that we're not getting a conclusive ending, which inherently feels less powerful and dramatic, saying 'no more TP, this is it' kind of telegraphs the batshit insanity and death that we're likely to actually get). Though it'd make me feel better about the worries of a truncated ending if it turns out we're going this close to the wire because it's not actually the end.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

I don't know where anyone is getting the idea that the flow of Peaks coverage has slowed or stopped in the last weeks. It hasn't, at all. There was a Lynch interview about the show's sound design in the NYT a day or two ago. Vanity Fair, Vulture etc are all still doing thinkpieces, listicles and so on. The claim the media spigot has dried is just untrue. I've been constantly amazed and surprised by just how much of an appetite has actually had for The Return.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
whoisalhedges
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Postby whoisalhedges » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 am

Nobody's crapping on you, sewhite2000... we're crapping ALL over Vanity Fair's choice for a headline, but yeah, everyone here is aware you didn't write it.

Sit back, relax - you posted a link you hadn't seen before (we had, but again, you didn't know that) with some information in it, you were doing a mitzvah. And I'm sure everyone appreciates your efforts.

It's still a bullshit headline. ;)

Edit: if you really need to hear the words: thank you. And I am being genuine. :) But I'm also being genuine when I say you're going to be treated WAY worse on the internet than a few strangers criticizing an article you linked on a message board. Please don't take opinions expressed on dugpa.com to heart - it's a big world out there, there's people you love and who love you; they need to be WAY more important than us. The hell with us, who cares what we think? 8) Hell, I'm new here, you should especially ignore me!

On topic: we might get season 4, we might not. We DO have season 3. And I'm loving the ride, whatever comes next.
whoisalhedges
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Postby whoisalhedges » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:07 am

N. Needleman wrote:I don't know where anyone is getting the idea that the flow of Peaks coverage has slowed or stopped in the last weeks. It hasn't, at all. There was a Lynch interview about the show's sound design in the NYT a day or two ago. Vanity Fair, Vulture etc are all still doing thinkpieces, listicles and so on. The claim the media spigot has dried is just untrue. I've been constantly amazed and surprised by just how much of an appetite has actually had for The Return.

I can't remember a media event quite like it - yes, there is tons of coverage; and it's way out of proportion to the number of people watching. TPTR has been fairly successful for subscription cable, not great; but when home media sales are accounted for, Showtime will have a profit - and they're getting loads of credibility, something they've really been lagging behind HBO (and even basic cable like A&E). But to see the coverage, you'd think it was the most popular show on television! Outside of its premiere week, I've seen more articles about Twin Peaks than Game of Thrones - which is watched by many millions more posts people. Makes you think half the audience is TV writers and bloggers.

Very curious as to the overseas numbers.
User avatar
The Gazebo
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Postby The Gazebo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 am

whoisalhedges wrote:Very curious as to the overseas numbers.


In Scandinavia (a relatively small market, I know), it was in the top 2-3 on HBO Nordic the opening weeks. I haven't seen numbers since then, but judging from the "most viewed" thumbnails on the front page, Twin Peaks has more or less disappeared. Could well be a ploy to create viewership for other shows, though.
User avatar
Mr. Strawberry
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 pm
Location: Nevada City, CA
Contact:

Re: Part 14 - We are like the dreamer (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Strawberry » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 pm

referendum wrote:
why would you cut the roadhouse bands?


in order to edit it into one long movie rather than a TV series, you would need to do something like that with a different cut, or you would be just showing a TV series in a cinema. You could leave a couple in, sure, where they worked structurally. But any more than that you would lose any flow that you would gain from seeing it as one long thing. Maybe you could have one at the end of every four hour chunk or something. it depends how you chopped it up for the cinema. I would go for 2 X 4 hour chunks afternoon and evening, with a few hours gap for recovery and eating, on a Saturday and a Sunday. :)

If you were in die hard Twin Peaks mode and going to do this in the span of several days or a weekend, the Roadhouse scenes followed by the next Part's intro would make decent intermissions if nothing else.
Not taking any calls.
User avatar
Mr. Strawberry
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 pm
Location: Nevada City, CA
Contact:

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Strawberry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:25 am

Pinky wrote:Can't see there being a fourth, but i'm fine if there is if they want to do it. The problem I see is that did they plan for it? Can't help but feel that they wrote this with the intention of this being the end, and it'd be annoying to see a fourth season have to write its way out of a corner. They seem to have written it as an ending; the stakes are very high and it would be very anticlimactic to revert to the small town goings on of Twin Peaks after all this, I really don't think it would work. If Cooper gets (or wants) to remain an FBI agent after this, then it cheapens the scale of the horror he's been through. Cooper's fighting just to keep his soul from annihilation at this point and is no doubt going to have to do something to help fight off an evil that is much, much more than BOB. Unless they're planning to amp it up even more and have a fourth season be a globe-trotting, Experiment-fighting affair with a half-deranged Cooper who only has one foot in this plane of existence, then I think a S4 is a tricky prospect indeed.

I'd be very happy just to trust Frost and Lynch if they decided to do it, I just think they made their decision long ago and it'll probably become apparent over the next few weeks that it was never actually on the cards; any coy remarks from them regarding S4 is them not wanting to give anything of the ending away (saying 'yeah, we'd love to!' suggests that we're not getting a conclusive ending, which inherently feels less powerful and dramatic, saying 'no more TP, this is it' kind of telegraphs the batshit insanity and death that we're likely to actually get). Though it'd make me feel better about the worries of a truncated ending if it turns out we're going this close to the wire because it's not actually the end.

Perhaps there wouldn't be a need to plan for it. When the mood takes you and the idea strikes, you can simply follow it and it will always lead somewhere. There are no dead ends.

Envision Season 4 being a more or less direct follow up to "The Return". This story has been about a collective trek back to Twin Peaks coupled with the return of Dale Cooper. It has been chaotic and filled with all sorts of action, both internal and external. Once Dale is back to life and Twin Peaks has seen some form of order and calm returned to it, all the pieces will be in place for a meditative continuation. And for those that have not been satisfied with the latest developments, I would argue that the sort of story that each of us had imagined as a continuation way back when Season 2 ended, could be so much more significant now, with these current events bridging that ending with whatever local story could be told. For the record I'm really happy with The Return, but I'm attempting to show how this could work for everyone.

For example, Dale "retired" and living at Dead Dog Farm perhaps partially in shame, Harry out of the hospital picking up the pieces of his former life while exploring things he saw when unconscious in his worst moments, Audrey emerging from her purgatory to essentially rebuild herself toward the memory of her former being only to realize that no one can really go back, James completing his quest for love and embarking on the new path of a united existence, and Sarah finally at peace with her life and becoming a sort of counselor or guide for the abused and the lost in the community (just to name a few individuals that have gone adrift). The stage will be set for a reckoning. It could be something more local that manages to retain the momentum of having to face up to oneself, hanging from the events that are occurring now, coupled with the local, down home vibes that result from life in Twin Peaks.

To summarize, I can see it being very sentimental considering what's happening now (have seen up through Part 14 as of this writing). It could essentially portray the aftermath of what has played out in the current story, with plenty of room to address the mysterious forces of darkness in the woods but in the context of having already affected certain lives (of both old and new characters), and how those lives in turn continue to affect those closest to them.

And I think I want to see Leo Johnson giving a sermon at Richard Horne's funeral...!

The creators can of course see something a hundred times more vivid and defined than anything my mind speculates, but anyway, there's always room for more if you have the ideas, the passion, and the commitment so realistically speaking the ball is in their court.
Not taking any calls.
User avatar
referendum
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 am

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Postby referendum » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 am

@mr strawbery
If you were in die hard Twin Peaks mode and going to do this in the span of several days or a weekend, the Roadhouse scenes followed by the next Part's intro would make decent intermissions if nothing else.


if you were in die hard twin peaks mode you wouldn't want 17 intermissions.
I would like to see this as a film, i think alot of the sections would work better as 2 or 3 hour chunks rather than one hour standalone episodes.
Alot of the so-called ' weaker episodes' seem weak just because they are slower paced than what lies before or after them. Watching it in longer parts without constant starting and stopping for bands might allow the structure of the whole thing to breathe more ( leaving and going back to characters within the space of a few hours rather than a few weeks) and the patterns and repetitions would be more self-evident. As would the anecdotal/ digressive structure.

At any rate, when this is over, i will re-watch it, but without the bands / the credits / and the intros. That way i suspect it would have rather more forward movement than the weekly installments allow.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests