Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 15 - There's some fear in letting go (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

ravingnightmare wrote:15 episodes covered, no Dale Cooper.. Let that sink in for a while.
Dale Cooper has been in almost every episode. He's the ice man pursuing unknown motives with brutal vigor and preternatural intuition. One might suspect that he's after his heart and soul, perhaps even trying to physically capture them in a glass box. It's possible that he's on his way to destroying the very place where the Dwellers on the Threshold originate.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I can't imagine the old Dale Cooper fitting in very well on this new show. Cooper was always proactive (except maybe in parts of season 2). He wouldn't fit in with the Cole's team who just sit around talking now and wasting time. I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to write snappy dialogue for Cooper like he used to have. Every returning character seems to have slowed down their pace of talking (i.e. Hawk, Andy, Lucy, Ben, Jerry) except for maybe Dr. Amp & Audrey.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Dale Cooper being his usual self a majority of the series would have made this sequel too easy, and you know Lynch & Frost don't run like that.
firefly2193
Roadhouse Member

Post by firefly2193 »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:
Jasper wrote:
firefly2193 wrote:
The dude found out his mate had super strength that could hospitalise someone, entered the roadhouse with him, went immediately over to the table where Renee was sitting with her husband and friends, talked to her, her husband revealed that there'd already been history between them and James had been warned, warned him again, James baited him more until the husband came for him, then relied on Green Glove-man to put them in hospital.

From the information given to us in this scene (ie barring any later context), James is not a good dude here. With great power comes great responsibility.
He has only ever gone for women who already had partners :lol:
But as has been suggested, it could be that when James went to check the furnace, he received some kind of message telling him that he had to get arrested with Green Glove, so that they'd be in the jail with Naido, the drunk (Billy?), and Chad, the man we love to hate. Obviously something really weird is going on in there.
I get the impression that the new James is 'slower' than the old James. He seems more 'normal' around Freddie at work, but I imagine that that's because he's relaxed, and that at the Roadhouse he's in a more awkward social situation. I don't think he's maliciously antagonising someone, I think it's just echoes of his old personality through the lens of his new way of dealing with the world.

In many ways I think that James's 'slowness' is comparable with Andy's simpleness. And maybe that's how he is also a useful tool to the Fireman, who picks simple and uncomplicated souls, and moves those 'pawns' to where they need to be.

Potentially this is also the case with DougieCoop. Although MIKE is pretty much guiding Coop the Fireman gave Cooper guidance first (if the scene belongs at the beginning of the season).
That could be the case, though there is no evidence for it as of yet, and there are probably less violent means of getting put in jail than sending two guys to hospital.
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

Esselgee wrote:I can't imagine the old Dale Cooper fitting in very well on this new show. Cooper was always proactive (except maybe in parts of season 2). He wouldn't fit in with the Cole's team who just sit around talking now and wasting time. I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to write snappy dialogue for Cooper like he used to have. Every returning character seems to have slowed down their pace of talking (i.e. Hawk, Andy, Lucy, Ben, Jerry) except for maybe Dr. Amp & Audrey.
Explain to me how having quirky Cooper come back after 25 years of his life being gone, and his evil twin out in the world performing unspeakable evil, would make any sense whatsoever.
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

mickeyfickey wrote:
Esselgee wrote:I can't imagine the old Dale Cooper fitting in very well on this new show. Cooper was always proactive (except maybe in parts of season 2). He wouldn't fit in with the Cole's team who just sit around talking now and wasting time. I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to write snappy dialogue for Cooper like he used to have. Every returning character seems to have slowed down their pace of talking (i.e. Hawk, Andy, Lucy, Ben, Jerry) except for maybe Dr. Amp & Audrey.
Explain to me how having quirky Cooper come back after 25 years of his life being gone, and his evil twin out in the world performing unspeakable evil, would make any sense whatsoever.
I'm just wondering what is so unspeakably evil about evil coop...half the characters on the show seem to be more evil than him.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

dropkick23 wrote:
mickeyfickey wrote:
I'm just wondering what is so unspeakably evil about evil coop...half the characters on the show seem to be more evil than him.
That´s actually something that I find quite interesting. I mean BadCoop is clearly not a good guy but the people that he kills are pretty disposable characters that we are not attached to. He didn´t show up in Twin Peaks and started murdering Ed, Norma or Ben etc. , he actually left town and did his evil deeds somewhere else. Sure, we still don´t know if he really raped Audrey, Diane or Annie but as of now, he´s not the worst guy on this show.^^
This leads me to believe that there´s actually more of the old Cooper in Mr. C than what we know off. He´s not the exact opposite of our old Cooper. Instead of being chaotic or all over the place, he´s very organized and means business. He also doesn´t just go arround killing random people, no, they are always somehow connected to the information that he wants.

That´s why I´m really excited to see how this whole Dougie and Mr. C will play out because there has to be something deeper going than: Okay, this is the good and this is the bad version of Dale Cooper. Will they integrate? Or are we in for a big twist? Can´t wait.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

When the doppelganger killed Darya, I thought he was extremely cruel & sadistic. Pretty evil to me. And who knows what he did to Diane & Audrey, but it can't have been good.
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

Firewalkwithme91 wrote: This leads me to believe that there´s actually more of the old Cooper in Mr. C than what we know off.
I think most of us have been thinking of Dougie as the "real" Coop, but Cooper is split, and his shadow self is just as much him as are the lighter aspects.

IMO Jefferies saying "So you are Cooper" is a cue to us to reevaluate our understanding of Cooper's situation, and as uncomfortable as it may feel, both protagonist and antagonist are one in the same.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

Snailhead wrote:When the doppelganger killed Darya, I thought he was extremely cruel & sadistic. Pretty evil to me. And who knows what he did to Diane & Audrey, but it can't have been good.
And really, he killed Darya because she was lying and plotting to kill him.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

If DougieCoop and DoppelCoop merge again, I wonder if "our Coop" will have all of the doppel's memories as well. It would make for an interesting character. He would not only have guilt for stuff that he didn't even do, but he would have all of the knowledge of modern technology and what-not that he missed while he was inside the Lodge.
ravingnightmare

Post by ravingnightmare »

Seeing glimpses of him in his old state of mind does not constitute something like: "we have seen him for the past x number of episodes". Wake up people. Stop accepting whatever is thrown at you. You all know exactly what I mean with my previous statement. Eh, this thread is dedicated for ep 15 so I'll stop ranting.
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

I´m also interested why Mr. C gets so upset when Jeffries mentions Judy. It´s almost like he´s afraid that Judy is working against him and could bring him down. We never saw Mr. C loosing his cool or being emotional with the exception of his angry face after he punched the guy in the face after armwrestling him.
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Novalis wrote:. . .

Finally, I have to ask -- what's the alternative? How would you have us enjoy it?
+100%
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

ravingnightmare wrote:Seeing glimpses of him in his old state of mind does not constitute something like: "we have seen him for the past x number of episodes". Wake up people. Stop accepting whatever is thrown at you. You all know exactly what I mean with my previous statement. Eh, this thread is dedicated for ep 15 so I'll stop ranting.
We are awake but we're living in a dream. I'm not accepting what is thrown at me I am experiencing, responding to it, emotionally and intellectually. Nick apropos.