Twin Peaks The Return: The Mixed/Moderately Disappointed Thread

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks The Return: The Mixed/Moderately Disappointed Thread

Post by Framed_Angel »

Snailhead wrote:I liked the post in the Profoundly Disappointed thread that stated that The Return exists in a different emotional universe to the original series. I'm inclined to agree. Accepting that helps me to appreciate The Return more as its own beast, and to stop expecting the feeling that I got from the previous incarnation.
Certainly when I took pains to read TSHOTP, I got a different "emotional" vibe! Because I was re-watching TPS2 and hadn't gotten to the finale yet, I purposely skipped parts of Frost's book that address Audrey's situation post-bank explosion [until I could revisit the finale in turn], and focused on all the various (and many) character backgrounds and historic anecdotes.

They worked fine for me and I only regret assuming therefore, that prior to TP:TR's debut, all the noise about hundreds of people cast for the Return, meant we'd be seeing some of TSHOTP played out on screen. Such as Lewis & Clark; perhaps early Bookhouse Boys; a younger Josie whose life in her early years could be developed for its own prequel; the spacecraft sightings and indications of extra-terrestrial activity among all those who reportedly saw such. . . I couldn't have been more wrong on that assumption, could I?
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I don't know which threads people read and anyway posts easily get lost in the crowd - so I will allow myself to quote underneath the whole post of David Locke, which he wrote for the Profoundly thread but it belongs here as well since the author clearly has both positive and negative feelings about The Return. I think it's by all means worth reading if you somehow missed it. Probably worth re-reading as well. I found it to be the best post I have read on dugpa yet and great thanks for it.
David Locke wrote:I thought Part 14 was one of the best of the season. As with the other best ones, it becomes better the more I think about it.

And yet somehow it, like The Return as a whole, also gets worse the more I think about it.

How can I simultaneously say I'm quite enjoying The Return and consider what we've gotten so far to be 14 hours mostly well spent - while also finding the thing a massive disappointment on many levels?

The thing is, while the new episodes are rarely terrible, they're also seldom if ever on the same rarified level as FWWM or Episodes 29, 14, 2, Pilot, 9, 8, most of Season 1, and so on.

I've been entertained, thrilled, surprised, and even deeply moved at times by the best Return installments: 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, and 14.

But I struggle to think of more than a handful of scenes that I'd actually put up against the best of Peaks or Lynch. Mauve world? Awesome. Much of Part 8? Masterful. Traffic jam scene? Pure Lynch.

But it's not Lynch at his best. Well, maybe those examples... but TR as a whole? No way.

Look, I can't lie. Lynch has good claim to the title of greatest living American director, while also being about 15, if not 18, years past his prime.

Let's say 15. Mulholland Drive was an accidental masterpiece, and its seams show far more than with any of his prior work. This is visible in everything from the smallest aesthetic detail on up: the very bright, TV-friendly soft-focus glow of the Betty section happens to be thematically perfect, but notice also the severe lack of headroom in this portion - caused by cropping to widescreen an image that was originally shot for full-frame.

Regardless, MD is the last Lynch work that feels like it has that same magic to it. Not even the strongest moments he's captured since have had the same electricity, and it is absolutely in large part because the look and feel of celluloid was so central in cementing the uncanny and dangerous yet seductive beauty of Lynch's cinema. He may be fine with a digital camera, but I think DKL is truly one of the masters of film, of celluloid, and I also think the more constrained nature of shooting on film (especially back before AVID/digital editing, and just the whole digital culture of the past decade or two) seemed to force Lynch to sharpen his skills as a craftsman, as an artist.

He may be an Artist above all, but in his best works (most of all TP & FWWM, Blue Velvet, and Lost Highway) Lynch had an undeniably firm grasp on all the aspects of his craft... composition, color, focal length, editing, proportion, contrast, serving the story, form melding with content, etc.

Just look at how tightly directed Lost Highway is. How it knows precisely where it's going even as it seems so off the rails. Look at the economical grace of The Straight Story. Or the deeply humanist, visceral FWWM. Or Blue Velvet, which is painstakingly composed and color coordinated as if a painting, even more than anything else he's done. Even Wild at Heart, which I like but am not crazy for by any means, looks far more appealing compared to the free-floating, wishy-washy, frankly lazy manner of working which has helped sully Lynch's digital work.

There's simply a comparative lack of discipline, a kind of aesthetic laziness, that marks even the better parts of The Return. Form dictates content in this digital Lynch era, but in the unfortunate sense of cheap camcorders or nicer HD cameras allowing a Lynch to let loose and improv it up and work on the fly and indulge his passion for the ugly, the uncinematic, the banal - whatever catches his eye at a given moment.

It's very much purposeful. If Lynch wanted to he could still make a beautifully shot season with digital, but for some reason he wants these cold, flat, lifeless images with either little color grading or grading that gives everything an unattractive, antiseptic sheen.

And that's the thing. How could a filmmaker so intensely entrenched in the subjective, subconscious mind of his characters, the man who made FWWM and LH and MD and BV... all of a sudden turn the other way and, at least with The Return, serve up a cold and distant and mannered product. The visceral feeling of the earlier films is mostly gone as we now see the world through what I can only describe as the eyes of a misanthropic absurdist comic. No brilliant, God's eye view Kubrick/Antonioni-esque detachment here; we're at a distance, but it feels arbitrary and represses more than it reveals.

Just think of all the scenes, so so many, where we watch beloved old characters (or new ones) trade generically stilted dialogue in medium-close ups or two-shots or wide shots. There are other problems at play, but it's hard to get involved or interested in Norma or Ed or Nadine or Jacoby or Diane or Gordon or Albert or Shelly, etc, when both the dialogue and the visual presentation is so.. almost disinterested.

There's little passion or fire here. That's sad; that's a big part of what makes Lynch great. Even Inland Empire has that.

But something has just happened in the intervening years, and the interdimensional of subconscious or supernatural creatures of TR too often seem more a museum exhibit or an art installation than a disturbing jolt of pure uncanniness to the brain, as it was with the Episode 14 and 29 and FWWM and the rest.

Human beings like Laura Palmer and Jeffery Beaumont and Diane Selwyn and Alvin Straight and Fred/Pete and Renee/Alice and Sailor and Lula seem so insignificant to the preoccupations of TR, which is one half Frostian overcomplicated sci-fi exposition-dump and one half Lynchian bleak, absurdist, formalist game-playing directed at no one in particular. Just moving around a bunch of beloved characters and settings and ideas like pieces on a chessboard, most characters lacking much of any interiority, agency, depth, or redeeming qualities.

There's no heart and certainly no sweeping, humane, operatic and soulful sense of the Romantic that marked many of the best Lynch works.

It's dead. Barren. And yet it lives - I do enjoy it for what it is. But things are so abstracted and hermetically sealed in their own postmodernist playground. Part 8, one of the very best if not the best of TR, still lacks an emotional core - besides a scene in which the Giant/Fireman does some alchemical business to better combat the forces of Evil. It works somehow despite the ridiculous notion of Laura being tied up in this sci-fi mythos, purely from the strength of its haunting score and images. But there's not much to grab onto there. Again, lack of a human element. Interdimensional beings are just not the same thing. I feel like TR is finally giving us that self-serious sci-fi-horror-soap that some bits of mid S2 seem to hint at.

It's all left brained mythology building and abstract metatextual constructs, and precious little right brained pathos, deeply felt emotion. I want back the Lynch that had the affective cinematic power to make us cry with Laura in the Roadhouse, then right after that throw us into a 10-minute-plus hypnotically drugged strobe light and loud guitar stupor. Or the Lynch that composed, like a great symphony, the sequence of Maddie's murder and the Roadhouse aftermath. The decrepit old waiter speaks the only words, and they never fail to move me to tears: "I'm so sorry." "The World Spins": something both beautiful and broken but unchanging, unforgiving. We can do nothing but look for solace in Donna's silent sobbing, Bobby's little-boy-lost-in-the-universe look of utter shock and sadness, Cooper staring up and out into the void as if contemplating every solemn mystery of the universe at once; and then, curtains. Silencio, for no more can be said.

I want to feel something approaching that visceral style of image, sound, editing and direction of actors. It's too bad that Lynch is just either uninterested or incapable of producing such potent pure cinema that is felt in the soul instead of deconstructed in the brain like so many encrypted text messages, Clearly Intentional continuity errors, exposition feasts, or over-determined mythos dumps tracing out for us the ever-so-fascinating heritage of the Arm and its latest incarnation.

Geographically we may have made a return indeed; but, more pivotally to me, it's just not in the same emotional universe at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

for me i have only been mixed/moderately disappointed in some of the more recent episodes and the way some storylines seems to be heading.. during this weekend i also rewatched episode 9, 10, 11 (friday) and this morning episode 6, 7 and first fifteen minutes of 8 (up to Mister C bolts up) to see how earlier parts held up in light of this. turns out i still enjoy the earlier parts just as much (in parts even more) than when they first aired. i feel that episodes 1 - 8 are great filmmaking with a huge story and performances that really speak to me and holds me absolutely captivated... Parts 1 and 2 did a great job of setting up the mood, the style of filmmaking, sound design, etc. and Cooper's journey from the Black lodge to the life previously inhabited by Mr. Dougie Jones are certainly up there with the original show for me. yet of course a different beast in its own right.

however from episode 9 and onwards (with the exception of episode 11) i have experienced somewhat of a slump in comparising with the first half of the series, and this has grown stronger with rewatches. i'm not crazy about the direction the Gordon / Albert / Diane / Tammy storyline has taken, i'm not too fond of many of Lynch's acting and writing choices here, yet i mostly loved them in the first 8 parts. and now in episode 14 (which, it should be noted, is the only part i haven't rewatched) there are two scenes which i feel comes dangerously close to undermining the whole show - the Green Glove (which i guess his superhero name will be once he get his own Spin-Off show) and Sarah Palmer's transformation (which is even more sad considering how extremely well that her story was set up in the preceding episodes). episode 13 and 14 is without a doubt the weakest of the series for me so far, and 9 isn't too special either. i saw a YouTube reviewer discussing an episode and he said that as long as an episode has at least one scene that he really loves he's satisfied. that's a stance that i agree with (though i pretty much loved all of 1-8 with some small exceptions).. but i can't really say there were any scenes i loved in those two last episodes (i did realy like the Jack Rabbit's palace scene though but the two aforementioned scenes missed the mark so wildly that it dragged it down a bit). maybe that's asking a lot, but when so much of the original show + the first half of TR has been so incredible who can blame me?

what i hope it comes down to is that this is a result of the series being stretched out to 18 episodes when perhaps it would have been better served as 12 episodes (still i'm happy bc that means it's still going :) ). so my hope is that the first half, which was the setting up of all these great storylines are pretty much still in tact but the middle part will sag a little which will mean that the ending parts will still hold up as well as the earlier parts. i'm still fully on board with the series and still very hyped about each new episode, i'm just now slightly fearful that it will take a direction that will further undermine what came before. either way the great things we have gotten from this Return would still be worth it (we got some of the best moments of Twin Peaks ever so far - Muave room? Episode 8? the cherry pie scene with the Mitchums to "Heartbreaking"?, etc).
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

claaa7 wrote:i saw a YouTube reviewer discussing an episode and he said that as long as an episode has at least one scene that he really loves he's satisfied. that's a stance that i agree with (though i pretty much loved all of 1-8 with some small exceptions).. but i can't really say there were any scenes i loved in those two last episodes (i did realy like the Jack Rabbit's palace scene though but the two aforementioned scenes missed the mark so wildly that it dragged it down a bit). maybe that's asking a lot, but when so much of the original show + the first half of TR has been so incredible who can blame me?
That is a really interesting way of approaching the show, and one I'd wish I had myself. I love many of this season's scenes - but I don't really enjoy the show (I find myself re-watching bits and pieces on Youtube instead of entire episodes). I guess for me, the overall vibe - or lack thereof - trumps individual moments of brilliance.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

The Gazebo wrote:
claaa7 wrote:i saw a YouTube reviewer discussing an episode and he said that as long as an episode has at least one scene that he really loves he's satisfied. that's a stance that i agree with (though i pretty much loved all of 1-8 with some small exceptions).. but i can't really say there were any scenes i loved in those two last episodes (i did realy like the Jack Rabbit's palace scene though but the two aforementioned scenes missed the mark so wildly that it dragged it down a bit). maybe that's asking a lot, but when so much of the original show + the first half of TR has been so incredible who can blame me?
That is a really interesting way of approaching the show, and one I'd wish I had myself. I love many of this season's scenes - but I don't really enjoy the show (I find myself re-watching bits and pieces on Youtube instead of entire episodes). I guess for me, the overall vibe - or lack thereof - trumps individual moments of brilliance.
That's a weird way of approaching a show, in my opinion. If I like 5% and dislike 95% of an episode, I can't say that it's a good or satisfying episode altogether. One good scene doesn't erase all the other bad scenes for me.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
That's a weird way of approaching a show, in my opinion. If I like 5% and dislike 95% of an episode, I can't say that it's a good or satisfying episode altogether. One good scene doesn't erase all the other bad scenes for me.
yes, that's kind of how i felt with 14.. it had one really strong section for me which was the Jack Rabbit's palace scene but the other stuff had me so disappointed that hardly made up for the rest of the hour. that reviewer i mentioned enjoys the show, however, and so if an episode is decent to good and there's at least one super strong scene/section he considered the episode satisfying, which i can agree with.

but on the other hand, by all expectations this show should never even exist and i bet if we would just have gotten a Lynch directed Twin Peaks short film consisting of one very strong scene from the Return instead i think most of the entire forum would be over the moon.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:If I like 5% and dislike 95% of an episode, I can't say that it's a good or satisfying episode altogether. One good scene doesn't erase all the other bad scenes for me.
No it doesn't but anyway it is something to remember, something to come back to... Yet it is not the problem of The Return, the scenes. There many good scenes and like it was said before, it works well to rewatch bits and pieces. What doesn't work very well is the whole. It's not a coherent story and even if "on paper" it is/turns out to be because all loose endings will become integrated (still I doubt that), it does not change the fact that narration-wise plots, clues and persons constantly go astray, come back after many weeks, leaving the viewer puzzled (at best) or disinterested (not so good). Best example from Pt.14 - Jack Rabbit's palace. A very good scene indeed, for many reasons, but the guys were talking about some things from over a month ago, which I completely threw out of my head. 2.53? Soil in their pockets? I don't know anymore what was the Major's message, I can hardly remember there was any. And yet I remember that when it came about, it seemed very important. The trip to the woods would've worked much better a few episodes ago and so would Frank's phone call to Gordon. And many things.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I suppose I'm still technically mixed. I sort of like it for what it is as its own thing, but can't help wishing it could have been more like the Season 3 I had imagined. And there's some narrative and pacing choices I seriously question. I'm at the stage where I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh. It's still the only TV show I'm following and I still prefer the original series, but I can't really decide what I think about the new series anymore. Anyone else feel like this? Going with the flow, trying to like it more than I am, but I do like some of it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Jonah wrote:I suppose I'm still technically mixed. I sort of like it for what it is as its own thing, but can't help wishing it could have been more like the Season 3 I had imagined. And there's some narrative and pacing choices I seriously question. I'm at the stage where I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh. It's still the only TV show I'm following and I still prefer the original series, but I can't really decide what I think about the new series anymore. Anyone else feel like this? Going with the flow, trying to like it more than I am, but I do like some of it.
I think I'm the opposite. My initial reaction (except for a couple of Parts) is always very positive, followed by reflecting on the parts I didn't care for and trying to be more critical about the show(essentially, trying to like it less than I do).
Welcome...to the third...place.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Jonah wrote:I suppose I'm still technically mixed. I sort of like it for what it is as its own thing, but can't help wishing it could have been more like the Season 3 I had imagined. And there's some narrative and pacing choices I seriously question. I'm at the stage where I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh. It's still the only TV show I'm following and I still prefer the original series, but I can't really decide what I think about the new series anymore. Anyone else feel like this? Going with the flow, trying to like it more than I am, but I do like some of it.
I have given up, yet I'm still here on the forum. It's the only show I watch myself, even though there are other acclaimed shows I have been meaning to watch for ages. No matter how much I feel it's fallen way short of my expectations, there is still some intangible quality which keeps me around. It's almost like being in a poor relationship where the nookie is still good, so you hesitate to end it. Crappy metaphor, but you get my drift.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Gazebo wrote: I have given up, yet I'm still here on the forum. It's the only show I watch myself, even though there are other acclaimed shows I have been meaning to watch for ages. No matter how much I feel it's fallen way short of my expectations, there is still some intangible quality which keeps me around. It's almost like being in a poor relationship where the nookie is still good, so you hesitate to end it. Crappy metaphor, but you get my drift.
What episode did you stop watching at? I've been feeling deflated with the last few episodes, though I recognise they're stronger/better than a lot of earlier and middle episodes. But I guess I'm at that burnout stage. I'm still watching it and finding bits to enjoy, but I've noticed I've stopped posting my impressions about it and am kind of looking forward to it wrapping up. I feel I might like it more once it's all been aired. But yeah I feel deflated with it lately.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Jonah wrote:What episode did you stop watching at? I've been feeling deflated with the last few episodes, though I recognise they're stronger/better than a lot of earlier and middle episodes. But I guess I'm at that burnout stage. I'm still watching it and finding bits to enjoy, but I've noticed I've stopped posting my impressions about it and am kind of looking forward to it wrapping up. I feel I might like it more once it's all been aired. But yeah I feel deflated with it lately.
I haven't given up watching it, but I gave up mentally somewhere in episode 13. Almost had a mini-depression for a couple of days, and took a week's break from posting. Oh, what a waste of a summer this has been.

Now I'm resigned to the fact that the show won't even meet me halfway, and strangely enough I'm able to enjoy bits and pieces wherever they may come - simply because I have no particular wishes for the remaining episodes. I don't really care what happens. I'm pretty sure we'll have lots of supernatural bollox, and anything else is a bonus.

All in all, it's been slightly nightmarish. If a season 4 is produced and released weekly, I will not watch it until it's complete.

(This post should probably have gone in the other thread, though :) )
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Gazebo wrote:
Jonah wrote:What episode did you stop watching at? I've been feeling deflated with the last few episodes, though I recognise they're stronger/better than a lot of earlier and middle episodes. But I guess I'm at that burnout stage. I'm still watching it and finding bits to enjoy, but I've noticed I've stopped posting my impressions about it and am kind of looking forward to it wrapping up. I feel I might like it more once it's all been aired. But yeah I feel deflated with it lately.
I haven't given up watching it, but I gave up mentally somewhere in episode 13. Almost had a mini-depression for a couple of days, and took a week's break from posting. Oh, what a waste of a summer this has been.
Ha! It's like we're one mind. I could have literally written the exact same thing, had a similar thought too.
luridedith

Post by luridedith »

I've seen people attacked and torn apart from even suggesting a "fan edit" but The Return really needs one. For me, parts like 15 and 8 are nearly perfect as they are but the rest makes me want to cut them up and shuffle the scenes like a iTunes playlist until I get it right, sorry if that's blasphemous.

I LOVE having a new Lynch every week, its been an exciting 15 or so weeks just for the unpredictability, however on rewatch this is by far Lynch's weakest work since Dune. Inland Empire gets so much hate here but every scene drips with atmosphere and tension and MOOD, the worst scenes in the Return are oddly banal and ordinary (the exposition plot dump scenes especially leave a bad taste in my mouth more than the 10 minute sweeping scene for example). Cutting the whole thing in half and having 9 strong episodes of the best, most potent scenes and this could be a masterpiece. I'm still loving the ride and Part 15 was one of my favourite Twin Peaks episodes ever, the mood of nighttime scenes, the stunning forest shots and the simple, minimal depiction of the lodge instead of the corny CGI vortexes. But its probably the hardest Lynch work to recommend to people because its so tonally inconsistent I wouldn't know where to start.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

luridedith wrote:Cutting the whole thing in half and having 9 strong episodes of the best, most potent scenes and this could be a masterpiece.
Agreed. The bump to 18 episodes really hurt this new series imo. It feels like Lynch didn't delete anything this time around. This has felt like an entire season of deleted footage. Even the actors commented that some scenes they shot they were sure would end up on the cutting room floor, but instead were put into the show. I'll be very surprised to hear there's much - if any - deleted footage. It feels like Lynch threw every frame he shot into this.