Cooper's awakening

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Cooper's awakening

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

How will this be handled? We may only have a week to find out but it is a very real and pressing issue. It seems that many just assume he will be 1991 era Cooper again but that seems improbable if not impossible, especially with the passage of time being of such central importance to this "Return". That would actually also be a huge disappointment to me as I would think that his decades in a liminal space would surely factor in even if his accrued experience there can't be fully integrated or articulated. He has to be a very different person now, right? His intuitive capacity alone would seem likely sharpened or heightened. Will there be lingering effects of Dougie state as well and his use as a vehicle for Lodge interests? The implications of the Vedder song that we presumably will also be hearing soon seems hugely significant here, weighing over the proceedings.
Garmonbozia1996

Re: Cooper's awakening

Post by Garmonbozia1996 »

I think many people who believe we are going to have permanent optimist Dale Cooper from the original series back are going to be severely disappointed. I think we had a lot of what made that version off Cooper great with the Dougie Character (Cherry pie, Coffee and the whole effect of general kindness). While yes I think they are going have him waking up this episode ( this is the narrative hook off the whole show having a similar resolution ark to 'who killed Laura Palmer', with the third to last being the reveal, 17 exploring that reveal and whats changed and how the reveal impacts others then the conclusion). It makes sense to me anyway that they are going to build it up similar to the Leland scratched record, white horse, drugged Sarah and "It is happening again" and have it happen towards the end off the episode, I realise people want it quite a lot earlier in the episode but Lynch and Frost know that and will most probably drag it out further until the end. However I do predict Coopers awakening will see the end of the Hutch and Chantelle characters, who will have to be dealt with by some as competent as Coop.

Sorry I like to go on a tangent xD. Long story short, I think we still we have to be a little more patient with his awakening it won't be immediate and when he does 'wake up' so to speak, I predict the character will be a little more pessimistic as well as slightly more Quiet, I think we are going to see a side of Cooper we haven't seen yet in any off the Media for the show, which to me makes sense after 25 years in the Waiting Room/Red Room, Narratively I think when he is awake there will be a large boost of forward momentum to conclude narrative also. :)
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

My mind is going to some bleak places recently. Now I find myself wondering if Coop might not awaken properly before Chantal gets her wish and Hutch lets her torture him. This could be grim viewing.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

Novalis wrote:My mind is going to some bleak places recently. Now I find myself wondering if Coop might not awaken properly before Chantal gets her wish and Hutch lets her torture him. This could be grim viewing.
That had occurred to me too. I sure hope that is not the case. I want to see Coop be the hero again. I want to see him take out the bad guys.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I find myself wondering who will get the honors of killing Chantal and hutch. I still hope it is Candie. :)
There's your roast beef and cheese.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I guess it's a matter of whether it's actually felt like being stuck somewhere for 25 years to him. That'll likely mostly affect how he'd act now as "real" Coop. Maybe to him, it appeared to go by in a flash.

I think the awakening is happening next week. A woman named Jade signaled the beginning of the Dougie journey, a woman named Ruby seems to signal the end.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

ThumbsUp wrote:A woman named Jade signaled the beginning of the Dougie journey, a woman named Ruby seems to signal the end.
Excellent observation.
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

Saturn's child wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:A woman named Jade signaled the beginning of the Dougie journey, a woman named Ruby seems to signal the end.
Excellent observation.
To further piggy back on this observation: Jade's sister Emerald, should be taken into account, as far as context is concerned think Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, her original goal is the Emerald City, eventually her goal is to return home, which finally happens via the Ruby slippers.

Also, green means go, as in proceed or start. Red means stop.

It's probably also no accident that Dougie was wearing a green suit at the beginning.

Also, as far as Chantal torturing people is concerned, as soon as she lamented about not getting to torture anyone recently, I was immediately worried more for Janey-E and Sonny Jim, than I was for Cooper.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

When you look at episode 29, 24 hours go by in the 'real' world while Cooper doesn't seem to be in the lodge for much more than an hour before Mr C escapes in his place! If we assume 1 hour in the Lodge is a real world day, then Cooper will have spent almost a year in the Lodge while 25 went past in the real world.